DevGru/Seal Team Six - Who are these guys?

Baasha

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2010
After the stealth kill of OBL, the most intriguing aspect of the whole operation seems to be the guys behind it; DevGru or SEAL Team Six.

Is there any good info about these guys meaning who are they what do they do to get into that elite SEAL Team Six etc.? The first time I heard they were called DevGru, I was reminded of Medal of Honor 'Tier One' dudes with beards and M16s and suppressors with laser sights ready to tear shit up.

Are they considered the US Military's "kill team" so to speak? I mean, these guys sneaked into the compound took out the target and left before anyone knew what happened. LOLz.. that's straight out of a video game...

Some pics I found on Google:

groupblackout.jpg

41265604haq_20021027_00123.jpg

41265606haq_20021027_00122.jpg

bl4ckfl4g

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2007
When I was stationed in Panama, I was a liaison for DEVGRU and Delta during a mission they were staging for. Those were some tough dudes. One of them, and I don't know whether he was SEAL or Delta, had 1 leg.

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
They are them that have no name. They are the wind, they are a shadow of a figment of your imagination. :) If you ask too loudly too many questions the only answer you will get is BOOM! HEADSHOT!

Axon

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2003
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Naval_Special_Warfare_Development_Group

Don't know much about them. I have a friend who was a SEAL but never made DEVGRU..and he was a beast. The difference in his eyes was their mental endurance (basically function on a superior level while under fire) and particular urbanized skill set for the occasional long term deployment. He didn't know much else so I don't. CIA pulls from their ranks, Delta as well.

Wikipedia says they mostly do counter-terrorism but also are a hit squad option for the president when no other option is available.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
The Best of the Best. Googling them will bring numerous articles and stories to answer your question.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Buddy o' mine in the Army once told me that they aren't officially known to exist.

Shrug. he may've just been trying to sound cool. Dunno.

bl4ckfl4g

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2007
Also, and I know this sounds totally fake, but a coworker when I was in Panama saw a dude being rude to a female bartender and stepped in. The guy grabbed his head and bit off his ear. Not just a nibble like Tyson but pretty much the whole external part. He was a SEAL. Not sure what team but from what I understand, he didn't even get in much trouble for it. They are very protected.

Lol he got his ear grafted back on but it looks pretty bad.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
The best of the best, or as someone here stated yesterday, the unholy union between hot shit and cold hard steel.

They are the most flexible, lethal, and professional non-mechanical weapons on earth, that is all you need to know.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Bad muther fuckers. Wolves. Men among boys. I have a BIL that was a Ranger which is less demanding but special operations command too and he's tough as nails and a good human being. These guys train in torturous conditions that make two a day football practice look like a walk in the park for two + years before even going out. They even get literally tortured in SERE school to endure it if captured.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
I saw one up close the other day. Got a good picture of him.

Note: This picture is totally real.

ct1.jpg

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
I ran into these guys a few years back, pesky bunch, much more skilled than the typical adventurers that try to infiltrate my underground labyrinth to free the test subjects, the princess / beauty queen and attempt to assassinate me.

They managed to kill all of my minions before I made my escape. They were even able to prevent my lab from self-destructing as well (apparently skilled at defusing overly complex doomsday devices).

Tried to hire a few of them later to help me in a certain country in South-East Asia that I needed control over due to a rare mineral present to continue my research into immortality, but they seem to be motivated by nationalism instead of money. Very skilled group, should not be trifled with.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
I ran into these guys a few years back, pesky bunch, much more skilled than the typical adventurers that try to infiltrate my underground labyrinth to free the test subjects, the princess / beauty queen and attempt to assassinate me.

They managed to kill all of my minions before I made my escape. They were even able to prevent my lab from self-destructing as well (apparently skilled at defusing overly complex doomsday devices).

Tried to hire a few of them later to help me in a certain country in South-East Asia that I needed control over due to a rare mineral present to continue my research into immortality, but they seem to be motivated by nationalism instead of money. Very skilled group, should not be trifled with.

huh. Completely different from my experience.

My experience is that they're a bunch of f*ing hackers.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Just watch the movie made about them, think it had charlie sheen in it.

Trianon

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2000
www.conkurent.com
After the stealth kill of OBL, the most intriguing aspect of the whole operation seems to be the guys behind it; DevGru or SEAL Team Six.

Is there any good info about these guys meaning who are they what do they do to get into that elite SEAL Team Six etc.? The first time I heard they were called DevGru, I was reminded of Medal of Honor 'Tier One' dudes with beards and M16s and suppressors with laser sights ready to tear shit up.

Read early books of Dick "Rogue Warrior" Marcinko, it's all there!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Marcinko

Marcinko was the first commanding officer of this new unit which he named SEAL Team Six. At the time, the US Navy had only two SEAL teams. Marcinko purportedly named the unit Team Six in order to confuse other nations into believing that the United States had three other SEAL teams that they were unaware of. The men in the unit were handpicked by Marcinko himself from across the US Navy's Special Operations community. SEAL Team Six would be known as the US Navy's premier counter-terrorist unit; being compared to the US Army's Delta Force.[1][2] Marcinko held the command of SEAL Team Six for three years from 1980-1983 instead of what was typically a two-year command in the Navy at the time.[3]

"Doom on you, mf#er:)"

Last edited:

Baasha

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2010
An interesting question is whether Raymond Davis, the CIA 'contractor' who was jailed in Pakistan in January but released in March was part of this DevGru/Seal Team Six?

That would be quite... interesting... hmm..

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I don't know HOW they are so stealthy with their big huge steel balls clanging about....

I've actually seen Delta guys jumping out of a black, gray and white "tiger-stripe" C-130 at their "compound" deep inside Fort Bragg, they jump VERY low 350-400ft chutes opening AS they are coming out of the plane. I wouldn't even give any of these guys a dirty LOOK....

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
An interesting question is whether Raymond Davis, the CIA 'contractor' who was jailed in Pakistan in January but released in March was part of this DevGru/Seal Team Six?

That would be quite... interesting... hmm..

If I remember correctly, it was stated he was ex-special forces prior to becoming a CIA contractor. I would guess he was CIA, since he was working out of the embassy. He may very well have been involved in intelligence gathering for the OBL op at that time, but who knows for sure? He certainly was there as the 'cultural attache' setting up dance troupe exchanges. :awe: