Devastating testimony in Congress about why latest WMD claims are BS

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Frank Gaffney, Center for Security Policy (he hyped the Bush excuses)

David Kay, former UN Chief Weapons Inspector, Iraq Survey Group

Terrence Taylor, former UN Chief Weapons Inspector

Summary of testimony:
1) Iraq created most of its sarin between 1982-1988
2) Iraq had a tremendous chemical weapons program in the 1980s
3) UN largely destroyed Iraq's chemical weapons capacity
4) Rants about sarin from Bush administration was totally uninformed b/c the sarin was low grade, degrading, and not very abundant.
5) Best quality chemical agent in Iraq (mustard) is the one the Iraqis least liked to use and accordingly didn't make much after the mid80s
6) Chemical weapons from WWI are discovered frequently in Europe so its not surprising that 80s era munitions have been found in Iraq
7) The primary danger from current chemical munitions in Iraq is attempting to locate and dispose of weapons that are poorly marked (if at all) and in poor condition.
8) Kay laid into the lack of planning to control weapon depots in Iraq after Bush War 2003 started.
9) Kay noted he had neither the funding, resources, or security to actually look for all of the chemical weapons in Iraq.
10) Kay gave a smackdown history lesson about where the term Weapons of Mass Destruction came from . . . that it was a Soviet propaganda term from the Cold War.
11) There's probably nothing in Iraq that's even in the ballpark of being comparable to Russian chemical munitions.

Tools like Curt Weldon tried to put a new dress on this pig but he his agenda was transparent. He made up history, terms, and numbers at will.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Bush has murdered over 2500 American soldiers so far and tens of thousands of Iraqis. He needs those weapons to be there to sleep at night. Try to think of poor Bush for a change. There are deadly poisonous scorpions in the desert too and they are a tremendous threat that thanks to our soldiers being over there aren't bothering us here.

GeNome

Jan 12, 2006
Do you have a link to a transcript, or something of the sort? I don't find it at all hard to believe, but providing a link will give it more credibility.

Termagant

Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: GeNome
Do you have a link to a transcript, or something of the sort? I don't find it at all hard to believe, but providing a link will give it more credibility.

Follow the link to learn all you need to know. Our president is keeping you safe.

Key Testimony Excerpts

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Termagant

Follow the link to learn all you need to know. Our president is keeping you safe.

Key Testimony Excerpts

Curiously, those excerpts are from SENATE testimony . . . undated naturally b/c GOP hacks don't bother with details.

Kay and Taylor testified before the HOUSE today. It was rebroadcast on CSPAN2 an hour ago.

Yahoo article about testimony by US military
Responding to questions from lawmakers anxious to make political points ahead of the November congressional elections, U.S. defense officials said the 500 chemical weapons discovered in Iraq were "weapons of mass destruction." However their degraded state may make them more dangerous to those who find them than anyone else.
I guess they became degraded AFTER March 2003.:roll: Curiously, that synopsis of testimony is strikingly similar to the summary in the OP . . . but not in the GOP tripe on their website.

Meanwhile, the chairman of the House of Representatives Intelligence Committee, Michigan Republican Rep. Peter Hoekstra (news, bio, voting record), wrote to U.S. intelligence chief John Negroponte accusing intelligence officials of downplaying the significance of the finds.

Hoekstra said intelligence officials at a June 21 press briefing told journalists the weapons predated the 1991 Gulf War, were too degraded to be used as originally intended and posed no threat to U.S. forces deployed in the region during the run-up to the 2003 invasion.
Apparently, Negroponte failed to realize national security is a political issue not a security issue.

At the Armed Services Committee, Maples also asserted that the rockets and artillery rounds that had been found were produced in the 1980s and could not be used as intended.

If the chemical agent, sarin, was removed from the munitions and repackaged, it could be lethal. Its release in a U.S. city, in certain circumstances, would be devastating, Maples said.

LITTLE THREAT TO U.S.

But despite statements of concern by Republicans about the risk of terrorists releasing the chemical in the United States, defense officials said the munitions pose as much a threat to people who try to handle them as potential victims.

When asked by a Democrat to confirm the weapons pose a risk to troops in Iraq, not Americans at home, Maples said, "Yes."
Oh Noes! Karl Rove is down! He might not get up!

The two nonpartisan experts on the panel (Kay and Taylor) eviscerated the GOP talking points. The GOP cheerleader had a nice title but he's better known as a columnist for the Washington Times, columnist for Townhall.com, and Reagan-era Asst Sec Defense. Yep, he's informed alright.

Termagant

Mar 10, 2006
Sorry, I tried to find some info on the latest testimony. I guess the Liberal Media has some reason not to report on this latest episode of WMD BS.

KeypoX

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Bush has murdered over 2500 American soldiers so far and tens of thousands of Iraqis. He needs those weapons to be there to sleep at night. Try to think of poor Bush for a change. There are deadly poisonous scorpions in the desert too and they are a tremendous threat that thanks to our soldiers being over there aren't bothering us here.

It takes more then the president to create a war, he need permission. Learn a little :)

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Sorry, I tried to find some info on the latest testimony. I guess the Liberal Media has some reason not to report on this latest episode of WMD BS.
CSPAN hasn't posted the video yet. For some reason, they are preoccupied with some SOTUS decision beotch slapping Bush . . . go figure.

Mean MrMustard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2001
Originally posted by: KeypoX

It takes more then the president to create a war, he need permission. Learn a little :)

Sorry, my sarcasm meter exploded. Can you repeat that?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

U think I not know Bush told Congress them scorpions was planning imminant attack on NY using Niger yellow cake fuel for rocket tail. Oh man, everybody know Bush lie to get approval. You one who need learn a little. Him one responsible cause him scare pee out of congress with big fat lie. Hummm, no, change mind. U need learn lots.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
The only people, at this stage, that actually think this admin DIDN'T lie and distort and create facts are the diehard Bush-God fanbois.

You know the vast minority, somewhere probably in the 10-20% range. The real brain-dead morans of our society. The FOX News diehards. The Limbaughts.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
"we know they have WMD's"
"we know where they are"

Say again Rummy?

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

You obviously haven't been paying attention, King George can just whip up one of his magic signing statements and VOILA!!!

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Originally posted by: NeoV
"we know where they are"

Say again Rummy?

I forgot that one.

"They're in the tikrit area, baghdad area, and north south east and west of those places".

:laugh:

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Pens1566
Originally posted by: NeoV
"we know where they are"

Say again Rummy?

I forgot that one.

"They're in the tikrit area, baghdad area, and north south east and west of those places".

:laugh:

. . . . and in Rush Limp-blahs travel bag.

raz3000

Banned
Jul 14, 2005
If the war had gone well, most people wouldn't have cared that they didn't find anything--unfortunate but true. Bush's focus has been to bolster the war's outcome, not its justification.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Originally posted by: raz3000
If the war had gone well, most people wouldn't have cared that they didn't find anything--unfortunate but true. Bush's focus has been to bolster the war's outcome, not its justification.

Oh yeah. I'd feel better knowing we kicked the sh!t out of someone when the reason we wanted to kicked the sh!t out of them turned out to be wrong. :disgust:

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Pens1566
Originally posted by: raz3000

Oh yeah. I'd feel better knowing we kicked the sh!t out of someone when the reason we wanted to kicked the sh!t out of them turned out to be wrong. :disgust:

Yea ditto....

6000SUX

Golden Member
May 8, 2005

Key Testimony Excerpts

That testimony was from 2004, but unless he changed his mind, it looks like David Kay thinks the war was justified on the basis of intelligence at the time. At least he thought that in 2004.

6000SUX

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
Originally posted by: conjur
The only people, at this stage, that actually think this admin DIDN'T lie and distort and create facts are the diehard Bush-God fanbois.

You know the vast minority, somewhere probably in the 10-20% range. The real brain-dead morans of our society. The FOX News diehards. The Limbaughts.

Nope. I am not a Bush administration fan. It seems to me that the liberals on the web are pushing the idea that the Bush administration is a bunch of murdering criminals, with only limited success. It's to be expected that a bunch of raving Democrats and Republicans hate each other, and express strong sentiments on the Web with often shoddy support.

Count me a "moran", but where are your figures? Honestly, does 80-90% of the country think that Bush and his administration lied? I don't think it's likely, but I could be wrong. I can't find a survey showing that. It's a different question from that of Bush's approval rating.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Nice troll. When reality lets you down, toss out buzz words like < * cough * > Liberal Media < * cough * >. I wouldn't want to leave you without a :cookie:.
The Senate resolution was based on the admin's mountain of lies about WMD's and terrorist connections, and it gave Bush authority to use force as a LAST, not a first alternative.

Bush is at the head of the cabal that took us into the war, and the blood of every American who has died or been wounded is on his hands. :|

6000SUX

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Harvey
Nice troll. When reality lets you down, toss out buzz words like < * cough * > Liberal Media < * cough * >. I wouldn't want to leave you without a :cookie:.
The Senate resolution was based on the admin's mountain of lies about WMD's and terrorist connections, and it gave Bush authority to use force as a LAST, not a first alternative.

Bush is at the head of the cabal that took us into the war, and the blood of every American who has died or been wounded is on his hands. :|

I have heard that he also lights candles made from baby fat, and cracks his eggs on the pointy end.