Deus Ex 3 teaser released

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Completely forgot about this. Why do I get the feeling it will be designed for PC and 360 (*cough* Bioshock *cough*) with the illusion of choice.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
1. It'll be primarily a console game. Sorry. We wish it weren't so, but all major multi-platform titles are these days, and it's definitely not going to be a PC exclusive.

2. It won't take after Invisible War - at least not intentionally. Deus Ex 2 wasn't an accident, it was an intentional shift toward a shorter game type with more freedom in which factions you could work for, and a further future sci-fi setting. And given the general fanbase reaction to it, no sane developer in the world is going to try that again.

3. It won't be as long as Deus Ex. No-one can afford to make thirty-five hour action games to today's graphical standards - art and asset costs are far too high, and if Valve's stats are anything to go by, less than half of gamers can even be bothered to finish a five-hour game.

Advertisement:
4. It will disappoint almost all Deus Ex fans. Sorry again. This is not to say it won't be great, it's to say that Deus Ex fans are insane. I know because I'm one of them. If Deus Ex 3 isn't exactly the same as Deus Ex 1, possibly with slightly prettier graphics and more fluid animation, we will go batshit. I might mailbomb someone. I'm getting angry just thinking about the notion of a game that isn't Deus Ex to the letter. We're all like this, Deus Ex broke our brain in some fundamental way that renders us unable to appreciate anything else without that dark caveat lurking at the back of our minds: "This isn't Deus Ex." Crysis isn't Deus Ex. Stalker isn't Deus Ex. Bioshock isn't Deus Ex. Deus Ex 2 isn't Deus Ex. When Jesus Christ himself returns to save every one of our souls, there'll be a grouchy huddle of pallid nerds muttering "Eh, he's no Deus Ex."

5. It'll be awesome. This is just a feeling I have. There's too much that's great about Deus Ex to screw up an honest attempt to recapture that game's glory. In Walton Simon's words: "We got a lot of things right when we made you, Denton." An e-mail exchange between my editor and I back in May, when Deus Ex 3 murmurs first started:

To: PC Gamer
I'm actually excited about this. There's no chance they'll do anything but enrage the fanbase, but so much was good about Deus Ex that aping any of it - even if they miss the point - ought to produce a really interesting game.

I'd be excited about any first-person action RPG, and I'd be excited about any near-future secret-agent thriller, and I'd be excited about anything remotely emergent. They're bound to manage one of the three, right?
http://www.computerandvideogam.../article.php?id=176374

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: TehMac
1. It'll be primarily a console game. Sorry. We wish it weren't so, but all major multi-platform titles are these days, and it's definitely not going to be a PC exclusive.

3. It won't be as long as Deus Ex. No-one can afford to make thirty-five hour action games to today's graphical standards - art and asset costs are far too high, and if Valve's stats are anything to go by, less than half of gamers can even be bothered to finish a five-hour game.

Don't need to worry about dehyping it here. From that alone I look forward to them sinking more money into development than they get in sales.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Although it won't end up anywhere near the original in terms of awesomeness, it could still end up better than Invisible War, which was still a decent game anyways. Eidos has turned around significantly in the past few years.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I wont make any predictions because its just a Teaser, but if it turns out to have more flash than substance (i.e. Deus Ex 2) I wont be getting it.

I would much rather they remade DE1 with the Doom3 or Source or Unreal 2 Engine.
I respect the opinion of TehMac, but these days so many games suck ass that I'd rather replay classics. I will also be getting the new version of Final Fantasy 7 when it comes out.
(Or is it out???)

EDIT:
But I will admit the teaser got me excited.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
i expect it to suck.. not as much as IW, but it won't be anywhere close to the original

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Valve has stats of people not being able to finish a 5hr game?

To be fair, Valve makes FPS games, which typically have short SP campaigns, if any at all. RPGs, Adventure, and RTSs usually have longer SP campaigns.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
One con: No Warren Spector or Harvey Smith

One pro: Small dev studio (which 90% of all great games come from)

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I think this game could be quite good. It may not turn out as good as the original Deus Ex, but if they make it better than Invisible War then it will have more than enough for me to get it. I thought IW was pretty good even though it sucked compared to the first game.

It would be interesting to see where they take the story. Like DX1, IW's endings all seemed pretty conclusive.

It's a long time off in any case. Wikipedia is saying mid 2009, although since every big game gets delayed these days, it will probably be more like 2010. :p

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I see conflicting views from people on whether those guys are good or bad. It seems that they were behind a lot of the good ideas in DX but also responsible for many of the bad design decisions that went into IW.

Wheelock

May 3, 2007
Thief: Deadly Shadows may not have been good for fans of the series, but it was a good game in its own right. I can't say the same for Deus Ex: Invisible War.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: CP5670
I see conflicting views from people on whether those guys are good or bad. It seems that they were behind a lot of the good ideas in DX but also responsible for many of the bad design decisions that went into IW.

How much of the bad design decisions they were involved with on IW is irrelevant because they were both there at the creation of Deus Ex. Which means you now have a completely new studio trying to emulate their success. That doesn't mean it won't work, but it is definitely a con not a pro.

And anyone who attributes only IW and not their previous successes to these guys is extremely short sighted or doesn't know what they worked on.

Edit: Also, Thief: DS was excellent.

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
Originally posted by: Wheelock
Thief: Deadly Shadows may not have been good for fans of the series, but it was a good game in its own right. I can't say the same for Deus Ex: Invisible War.

What he said...........