Despite new voting restrictions, turnout surging in Georgia

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Wait a min........... according to Ballotopedia.
How do primaries work in Georgia?

A primary election is an election in which registered voters select a candidate that they believe should be a political party's candidate for elected office to run in the general election. They are also used to choose convention delegates and party leaders. Primaries are state-level and local-level elections that take place prior to a general election. Georgia utilizes an open primary system, in which registered voters do not have to be members of a party to vote in that party's primary.[1][2][3][4]

For information about which offices are nominated via primary election, see this article.

Could this mean that a person can vote in both Democrat and Republican Gubernatorial primaries????

Me wonders from I am seeing,
Hice is not winning at all in the big cities, but outside the cities the race is close, and in the middle of nowhere Hice is wining. Thus the map looks like this right now.
1653444834642.png

Furthermore, I am assuming that there were smart Democrats who might have used this rule to vote for Kemp in the Republican primary.
1653444941485.png

Hmmm I wonder could Raffensperger and Kemp only won because Democrats voted for them in the primary.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Wait a min........... according to Ballotopedia.
How do primaries work in Georgia?

A primary election is an election in which registered voters select a candidate that they believe should be a political party's candidate for elected office to run in the general election. They are also used to choose convention delegates and party leaders. Primaries are state-level and local-level elections that take place prior to a general election. Georgia utilizes an open primary system, in which registered voters do not have to be members of a party to vote in that party's primary.[1][2][3][4]

For information about which offices are nominated via primary election, see this article.

Could this mean that a person can vote in both Democrat and Republican Gubernatorial primaries????

Me wonders from I am seeing,
Hice is not winning at all in the big cities, but outside the cities the race is close, and in the middle of nowhere Hice is wining. Thus the map looks like this right now.
View attachment 62064

Furthermore, I am assuming that there were smart Democrats who might have used this rule to vote for Kemp in the Republican primary.
View attachment 62065

Hmmm I wonder could Raffensperger and Kemp only won because Democrats voted for them in the primary.
No. The first thing I had to do was select Republican, Democratic, or non-partisan.

The non-partisan ballot offered would only allow me to vote for ballot issues and not partisan candidates.

Since I'm OK with whatever Democratic candidate wins their primary, and to help foster some discord among the Georgia fascists, I chose Republican so I could vote for Kemp, Raffensperger, etc, and the "questions" on the ballot.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
GOP memo is asking all other candidates to burn any and all oppo research files on Herschel Walker.

An intelligent, empathic leader who tells the truth vs. a walking CTE warning prone to lying, one with no real understanding of history or politics.

Warnock better mop that floor with that fool.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
An intelligent, empathic leader who tells the truth vs. a walking CTE warning prone to lying, one with no real understanding of history or politics.

It'll all come down to turnout.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

Hershel is a Georgia football hero. I'm fearful that he'll capture a bunch of votes out of ignorance even from people inclined to vote Democrat.

I wasn't following the polling numbers for Raffensperger and had thought he would lose handily as Trump's designated fall guy. Him winning could be because of Democrats voting in the primary, ignorance among Republicans who just stick with the incumbent for things, or perhaps a lot more people than we think quietly understanding Trump's election claims are pure bullshit.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Hershel is a Georgia football hero. I'm fearful that he'll capture a bunch of votes out of ignorance even from people inclined to vote Democrat.

I wasn't following the polling numbers for Raffensperger and had thought he would lose handily as Trump's designated fall guy. Him winning could be because of Democrats voting in the primary, ignorance among Republicans who just stick with the incumbent for things, or perhaps a lot more people than we think quietly understanding Trump's election claims are pure bullshit.

It's a pity Georgians accept so much dishonesty from their heroes. The republican tendency not to care about their candidate being extraordinarily unintelligent just makes it worse.

But I like what I'm seeing so far, and am inclined to think you are correct. While Dem motivation is playing a role, Trump looks to be repudiated by Rs in Georgia at this point. Really hope it translates to a landslide victory for Warnock. I want to think even die hard football fans can see Walker is unfit/unqualified for the job. You can still like the guy and understand he'd just be another pawn for special interests inside an environment he knows nothing about, with Georgians paying for it.

Even if Kemp wins, as bad as he is, I will take some satisfaction in knowing he beat Trump's guy. Trumpism being rejected is still a win of sorts.

Reactions: Leeea and iRONic

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It's a pity Georgians accept so much dishonesty from their heroes. The republican tendency not to care about their candidate being extraordinarily unintelligent just makes it worse.

But I like what I'm seeing so far, and am inclined to think you are correct. While Dem motivation is playing a role, Trump looks to be repudiated by Rs in Georgia at this point. Really hope it translates to a landslide victory for Warnock. I want to think even die hard football fans can see Walker is unfit/unqualified for the job. You can still like the guy and understand he'd just be another pawn for special interests inside an environment he knows nothing about, with Georgians paying for it.

Even if Kemp wins, as bad as he is, I will take some satisfaction in knowing he beat Trump's guy. Trumpism being rejected is still a win of sorts.
I think the environment for Republicans is likely to be quite favorable in the fall which will help Walker but I also think there's going to be an avalance of news stories and ads about the fact that he's literally a crazy person.

Reactions: hal2kilo

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I think the environment for Republicans is likely to be quite favorable in the fall which will help Walker but I also think there's going to be an avalance of news stories and ads about the fact that he's literally a crazy person.

Here's hoping.

C'mon Georgia. CTE needs research funding, not to be elevated into office so everyone can pay for it.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Herschel Walker's "thoughts" on the school shooting:

"Cain killed Abel"
“What about getting a department that can look at young men that’s looking at women that looking at social media”

Pretty amazing there are people either clueless enough or indoctrinated enough to vote for this incoherent buffoon. Like, does he dress himself? Is he allowed to operate vehicles? I actually feel sorry for the guy.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I just hope HOPE HOPE HOPE that the looney Trump endorsed republicans keep winning their primaries. This is the road to victory for democrats in the midterms plain and simple, and I think we have a real possibility to get rid of Marjorie Taylor Greene once and for all come November.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Herschel Walker's "thoughts" on the school shooting:

"Cain killed Abel"
“What about getting a department that can look at young men that’s looking at women that looking at social media”

Pretty amazing there are people either clueless enough or indoctrinated enough to vote for this incoherent buffoon. Like, does he dress himself? Is he allowed to operate vehicles? I actually feel sorry for the guy.
The very survival of the Republican Party depends on ignorance and stupidity.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
it's pretty sad when folks like her can not accept the fact that just because her side lost and blames 'communists' and thinks anyone who isn't a republican is automatically a commie. it's pretty pathetic.
It's not just "anyone who isn't a republican is a commie" to them, it's "anyone who isn't extremist far right is a commie". Basically to people like her you're either "SIEG HEIL DER FUHRER TRUMP" or you're a commie.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Oh the ironing(!! :D) of her being on "Red Dawn" radio and complaining about communists...guess she skipped her history classes :D
I think they took a cue from that 80s flick with Patrick Swayze and viewed it as a game plan.

Last edited:

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Philosophically i want abrams to win way worse than i want warnock to...although warnocks seat is orders of magnitude more important.

Although abrams would be a really fucking nice firewall on 2024 fuckery.