Desktop icons rearrange after screen saver with new GPU

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I just deployed two ASRock DeskMini mini-STX mini PCs, connected to my two 40" 4K UHD TVs. Both of them are connected via native HDMI 1.4, both of them are running the HD 510 iGPU. (One CPU is a G3900, one is a G4400.) Both are running Win10 Pro 1607 64-bit with newest updates.

I haven't tried waking up the other one, but this one, with the G4400, has the same problem as the OP. When I wake it, all of the windows, are all scrunched up in the upper-left corner, like a 1024x768 screen or so.

Note that it doesn't do that right when the monitor goes into monitor-save mode, if I wake it up immediately after that happens, then there's no issue. Only when I leave it for a while. (Monitor actually switches off?)

wpcoe

Nov 13, 2007
@VirtualLarry
Yes, it only occurred when the monitors powered off -- in my case due to power savings settings on the monitor itself.

However, somewhere along the line, the problem has fixed itself:

This past week I built a new system from the ground up with all new components including a new OEM license of Win10 Pro, on which I immediately installed Anniversary Update.

Guess what? The problem appears to be fixed.

Not sure if it might be newer Intel video drivers for HD Graphics 530 or if the Anniversary Update re-wrote the handling of DisplayPort displays, but my desktop icons haven't rearranged on the new system.

You and I are running the same generation Intel iGPUs on Win10, yours a HD510 and mine HD530, but I'd be surprised it that created the difference in results.

The only thing I can think of would be to do fresh installation of Win10 with the latest version .ISO available for download from Microsoft. I had wondered if my "fix" were the fact that I downloaded the latest .ISO and installed it on my new hardware vs the previous system with an older installation with a series of updates that might have left some old setting that munged things up.

Nov 20, 2009
I've tried everything mentioned here but my problem persists. Originally I thought it was just FF having an issue, but have since realized every application within Windows 7 Pro 64-bit on my I7-4770K is affected. I do not have any desktop icons visible (I use the option to not display them). I also do not use any power saving modes and elect performance first. I do have a screen saver turned on, but it is a black blank screen. I am using an Acer ET430K driven by an Nvidia GeForce GTX1060 card at 3840x2160 resolution. Nothing that I have tried helps to keep the system from resizing and relocating any open application windows to a small XGA-ish space in the upper-left corner when the monitor is turned back on. Even applications minimized to the stsyem trey are affected. This is a M$ issue as it doesn't present itself in Linux.

Guru

May 5, 2017
It seems to be an issue with the implementation of display port and certain specific stuff, as far as I'm aware it only happens in win10, so most likely some compatibility issue with windows-drivers-monitor-displayport.

Feld

Aug 6, 2015
When I would like to turn the screen off, I just open the display settings and set the monitor to sleep after 1 minute of inactivity. It's a very poor solution, but it's the only one that works and prevents all your windows from being moved and resized. Microsoft just doesn't care.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Its for sure a windows software issue not a displayport issue, i dual boot linux/win10 and this is only an issue for me in win10.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
now having this issue with HDMI (using an HDMI switch), guess i'll have to figure it out. didn't do it for the first couple months of using the switch, and only does it on one of the 3 computers connected. @VirtualLarry did you find a solution?