Desktop environments

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
So no one on these forums has any love for Gentoo? I run XFCE on Gentoo at work and like it just because that is what I am used to. But I have been thinking I might try something else at home sometime soon. Thanks to all the suggestions in this thread that might be a difficult decision to make!

God no...

skyrunner

Oct 5, 2007
bioneos.com
That webpage is pretty hilarious. I don't disagree with it either, but honestly it is one of those things where it would take way too much time to switch distros at this point considering everything works fine as it is now. Honest question though: what is the most popular distro for the users on this forum? Debian? Ubuntu? Arch?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Honest question though: what is the most popular distro for the users on this forum? Debian? Ubuntu? Arch?

We have a pretty good mix, but I'd say Ubuntu and it's variants are most popular. I think the forum reflects the global distribution somewhat closely.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
That webpage is pretty hilarious. I don't disagree with it either, but honestly it is one of those things where it would take way too much time to switch distros at this point considering everything works fine as it is now. Honest question though: what is the most popular distro for the users on this forum? Debian? Ubuntu? Arch?

I used gentoo for years, mostly because I really wanted to customize my system to be exactly what I wanted. Many distros just required me to do too much house keeping to get the system how I wanted (the DE I wanted, the sound system I wanted, browser, etc). I also had used gentoo for experiment with a 64bit kernel space and 32 bit userspace.

Eventually though, I moved to arch because it gave me the same flexibility without the compile times. But then I got lazy and I moved to ubuntu, because I got sick of working on my computer, I wanted to get work done with my computer, so I just accept defaults and use it. That lead me to OSX which has been far better for me until recently. Their decisions have caused me to move back to the linux world (when this notebook gets replaced). So I'll probably go back to debain/ubuntu.

All of my servers (125 as of last count) are redhat/ubuntu/solaris 10. I prefer the ubuntu servers overall.

Last edited:

skyrunner

Oct 5, 2007
bioneos.com
Interesting path. Sounds like arch might be a better fit for me... but it would take way to long for me to switch distros on my workstations at this point. I'll try it at home (reinstall soon). Thanks for the info.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Arch has some appeal for me. Not enough to switch from Debian, but I may do some playing with it in the future. It gives you finer grained control without taking it to silly(imo) levels like gentoo.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Arch has some appeal for me. Not enough to switch from Debian, but I may do some playing with it in the future. It gives you finer grained control without taking it to silly(imo) levels like gentoo.
Though you need to learn to work with AUR, and there is no more installer (another device with a web browser handy for the wiki is practically a requirement, now). It is a very nice distro for when you have to build a package that's not configured to your needs in the repos, or when you need to make a vanilla package not in repos. Debian and RH's biggest failing for me is how they split packages into too many small ones with names only they use, so it can take an hour of web searching to find what I actually need to compile something, since I already have the package it errors out on.

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
So no one on these forums has any love for Gentoo?
I'm partial to Sabayon (Gentoo-based distro), but I never gotten absorbed in it.

I give it a whirl, from time-to-time, but never stick with it.

If Xfce ever gets ported to GTK3, I'll probably give it a proper trial.