Desktop environments

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Hi all,

Any chance someone can link me to or give a quick overview of desktop ends to try out? I've got gnome 3 installed right now and I have to say it is slow, and and I'm overall unimpressed. I know there is xfce, kde, e17 (or should I look at e16?) what about mate?

I'm looking for a window manager, and file manager so I think that puts e16 and fluxbox out right? Or can they have extra packages added?

What else is there to consider? What is the easiest way to transition between them, can I do this with a UI, or must I just use the shell to do it?

Thanks!
RA

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
I don't have a list handy, but once you install them they should appear in the list to select which one you want to use when you login. At least that's how it work on Debian and I assume Ubuntu.

But you're not tied to any 1 set of apps with a WM, although the integration won't be as tight. You can run any filemanager you want with Gnome, Enlightenment, KDE, etc.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
I don't have a list handy, but once you install them they should appear in the list to select which one you want to use when you login. At least that's how it work on Debian and I assume Ubuntu.

But you're not tied to any 1 set of apps with a WM, although the integration won't be as tight. You can run any filemanager you want with Gnome, Enlightenment, KDE, etc.

What do you use to select the WM? I've got GDM installed, and logging in just drops me into Gnome 3. Can that be changed?

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
I don't feel like logging out just to check and I can't remember exactly where it's at, but there should be a drop down with a selection of installed WMs somewhere in it. If not, which I doubt, there are other display managers that can be installed too.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I don't feel like logging out just to check and I can't remember exactly where it's at, but there should be a drop down with a selection of installed WMs somewhere in it. If not, which I doubt, there are other display managers that can be installed too.

I haven't had GDM installed in awhile, but I think I remember the newest releases still giving a dropdown box. I'm using LightDM on my install which definitely gives a dropdown box. Here's a few WMs/DEs I like...

Xfce - my primary desktop, A poor man's Gnome2

E17 - Flashy, but light. Not the greatest panels, and takes a lot of configuration to get what you want. Checkout the Bodhi site for some ideas. They use E17 by default.

OpenBox - Decent looking, and light. Doesn't have panels at all, Use Tint2 for panels.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
The gdm that ships with Gnome 3 doesn't have a DE selection I don't think. I had to swap to SLiM to run multiple DEs. By the way I have come to the realization they all suck. I really cannot find one I just like.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
By the way I have come to the realization they all suck. I really cannot find one I just like.

What are you looking for? That's one thing I love about GNU/Linux. There's a DE for just about any desire. Have you tried KDE?

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
The gdm that ships with Gnome 3 doesn't have a DE selection I don't think. I had to swap to SLiM to run multiple DEs. By the way I have come to the realization they all suck. I really cannot find one I just like.

It should. After you select your username there's a dropdown below on the left with the session you want to use.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
What are you looking for? That's one thing I love about GNU/Linux. There's a DE for just about any desire. Have you tried KDE?

I'm actually running KDE full time on my system. I dunno what I'm looking for. My favorite was probably Cinnamon but I couldn't get it just right. Then probably Gnome 3 but I didn't want to use systemd so that's out the window so I'm on KDE. It is what it is.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
So, I pretty much ended up trying to install XDM, and E17.

I love how the Arch wiki talks about startx, but yet...I had to install that manually. Then it talks about editing xinitrc, and how a version should exist in /etc/skel except I don't have one? Is there an ACTUAL document out there that SIMPLY explains how the hell you install something like XDM? They don't cover installing and setting up x server.

I am SERIOUSLY considering just formatting this drive and using it for steam games and such...why is there no simple explanations on how to do this?

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Arch isn't really a simple distro. You're gonna get more dirty using something like that rather than a hands off distro. I have found Arch documentation to be excellent though, and I've used it for issues on my Debian based systems. If you can't get it worked out, you could try Debian, one of the *bunutus, or it's derivatives.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
Did you follow the beginners guide? It explains how to configure X server there.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_Guide#Graphical_User_Interface

For arch you will have to install xorg, that's just how the distro is.

Once you get x up and running though I've had little issue swapping from different display managers/desktop environments.

For running XDM you edit your /etc/inittab file to boot into runlevel 5 by default and set your runlevel 5 boot options to XDM.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Display_Manager#Loading_the_display_manager
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Display_Manager#inittab_method

Also I finally got Cinnamon close to what I want. I completely purged KDE and installed Gnome 3 as well just in case. Not using Systemd though.

Heres a screenie. I'm just rocking a premade theme from http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes but I'm going to work on making it truely my own in a bit. Def sticking with Cinnamon. I really like it, its like a real evolution from Gnome 2 vs the paradigm shift of Gnome 3 and Gnome 2 has always felt a bit old to me. I just hope they fix up all the Gnome depends. I basically had to install Gnome 3 to get it running but at least I've got something I'm set on to work on customizing.

hjj6x.jpg

Last edited:

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
So, I pretty much ended up trying to install XDM, and E17.

I love how the Arch wiki talks about startx, but yet...I had to install that manually. Then it talks about editing xinitrc, and how a version should exist in /etc/skel except I don't have one? Is there an ACTUAL document out there that SIMPLY explains how the hell you install something like XDM? They don't cover installing and setting up x server.
Yes, they do. XDM is not the X server. It is one of many login managers available. Once X is set up, you log in, then type startx--voila, X.

If you are just trying to set up X, you're not using any GUI login managers. For that, you need to go to the docs about login managers, and/or their parent DEs.

For example:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Display_Manager

If you want a quick and easy login manager setup, install a fully-featured DE that uses one, like KDE. Arch is not Gentoo (Hellish distro, that one), but it's not exactly Debian. If you want something that just works out of the box, Debian and derivatives will be your best bet, not Arch.

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
I'm just rocking a premade theme from http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes but I'm going to work on making it truely my own in a bit.

hjj6x.jpg

Interesting!

I've been playing around with LXDE/Openbox lately. Works remarkably well on a modern OS/Kernel.

Yesterday, I installed it on my 'bleeding edge' Ubu dev machine (Alpha/Beta/RCs on 'ancient iron').

*Looks* striking similar to your screenie :)

Ubuntu 12.10 / Linux 3.5.0-rc1 / Gnome 3.4.2 / nVidia 302.11 / Xserver Core 1.12
vindsl-desktop-3-jun-2012-2.png

Runs Opera-Next, Nautilus, GiMP 2.8.0... basically, everything I throw at it.

Won't bore you with the theme, fonts, and icon set -- still tweaking them. Conky soon.

Heh! If this keeps up, I think I'll release my own distro -- a better Lubuntu, if you will. ;)

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
I've got gnome 3 installed right now and I have to say it is slow, and and I'm overall unimpressed. I know there is xfce, kde, e17 (or should I look at e16?) what about mate?
It's the DE & WM that kills performance, NOT the core OS.

The combo (pictured above) hauls ass!

Shockingly responsive and fast, actually...

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
I was re-reading the thread, and had to comment...

Gnome 2 has always felt a bit old to me.

That's because it WAS old....

AFAIK, Gnome 2 was built on the Win 95/98 model, albeit which served millions of users faithfully -- as did Gnome 2.

In the 'olden days' of Linux there were only a handful of crusty zealots (with bad attitudes) that tried to develop it on the desktop. Everyone else was working on server software, trying to get a niche in that market. Now, we're entering the 'golden days' with Gnome 3.

Anyway, you're right. I never did like Gnome 2, or Win 95/98.

The only way I could stand Winders was to skin it with WindowBlinds, or such.

Dittos for Gnome 2. With all the gingerbread apps, it was okay -- otherwise, it sucked IMO!

The funny thing is, my tastes haven't changed a whole lot. I've got some screenies (somewhere) of Win 9.x skinned with WindowBlinds that look very similar to the work I'm doing today.

I guess, in that regard, *some* things never change... ;)

Azuma Hazuki

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2012
LXDE has become mature enough to replace Gnome, KDE, and Xfce for nearly all users. I've noticed the latter three have become somewhat less configurable over time, but that LXDE still exposes most of itself and can be tweaked even further with a little work.

It helps to run a compositor like XCompMgr or CairoCompMgr in LXDE, as unlike Xfce there isn't one included in the window manager (LXDE uses Openbox). PCManFM is an amazing file manager, even better than Thunar and Rox in my opinion.

Also, if you can get the special LXPanelX version it will be much nicer than vanilla LXPanel. Hopefully they merge upstream soon *pokes PCMan a bit*

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
I just took Arch off my laptop because I thought I was taking a class that used Visual Studio (Stupid VB 101 programming class) turns out I'm not taking it but I'm on vacation till the 2nd. I'm going to compile Cinnamon without a GUI on Arch when I get back!

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
I just took Arch off my laptop because I thought I was taking a class that used Visual Studio (Stupid VB 101 programming class) turns out I'm not taking it but I'm on vacation till the 2nd. I'm going to compile Cinnamon without a GUI on Arch when I get back!

My solution to dealing with Linux UIs not giving me what I wanted was simply formatting the drive and using it for other stuff. I remember why I stopped toying with linux 5 years ago, and I still agree with the decision I made back then.

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
My solution to dealing with Linux UIs not giving me what I wanted was simply formatting the drive and using it for other stuff.
A solution to dealing with ${PLACEHOLDER} not giving me what I wanted is simply to wipe the drive and use it for other stuff.

Where,
PLACEHOLDER := Microsoft | Apple | whatever

That is a simple, common solution and usually practical too.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
A solution to dealing with ${PLACEHOLDER} not giving me what I wanted is simply to wipe the drive and use it for other stuff.

Where,
PLACEHOLDER := Microsoft | Apple | whatever

That is a simple, common solution and usually practical too.

Haha, yeah. Especially when the practical upshot is "Oooh, an extra 128GB to use for other stuff like games?" :biggrin:

Jodell88

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
My solution to dealing with Linux UIs not giving me what I wanted was simply formatting the drive and using it for other stuff. I remember why I stopped toying with linux 5 years ago, and I still agree with the decision I made back then.
You ended up with a combination XDM and e17, I would have drawn the same conclusion myself. :biggrin: :p

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
LXDE has become mature enough to replace Gnome, KDE, and Xfce for nearly all users. I've noticed the latter three have become somewhat less configurable over time, but that LXDE still exposes most of itself and can be tweaked even further with a little work.[...]

Yep! I'm lovin' on LXDE/Openbox. Still highly configurable!

This "dirty" screenie shows what you can do. And, I'm not nearly done yet... ;)

vindsl-desktop-1-jul-2012-2.png

Last edited:

skyrunner

Oct 5, 2007
bioneos.com
So no one on these forums has any love for Gentoo? I run XFCE on Gentoo at work and like it just because that is what I am used to. But I have been thinking I might try something else at home sometime soon. Thanks to all the suggestions in this thread that might be a difficult decision to make!

Last edited: