"Desktop CPU Sales Lowest in 30 Years..." - Tom's

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/l...n-30-years-amd-intel-q2-2022-cpu-market-share

Dean McCarron from Mercury Research says the year-over-year decline is the largest in the firm's records, which stretches back 28 years, and predicts it was the biggest since 1984 (36 years).

It's safe to say that all signs point to a continued PC slump — Intel and AMD expect the desktop and notebook PC market to be down double-digits through the end of the year.

There might actually be some good sales on CPUs later in this year (Black Friday?). With the next gen CPUs launching, and CPU sales plunging, some really good deals may happen again (like when AMD launched their 3000 series, and Newegg was basically giving away Ryzen 2000 series CPUs as part as CPU/motherboard bundles).

However, hopefully the sales are a tad better than the "huge" $2 off promo code Newegg is doing on Samsung SSDs right now. ;)

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
It's not that surprising given the downward trend in general, the fact that today's CPUs aren't obsolete in a few years, and that a lot of people likely bought something new during the pandemic if they were doing any kind of work from home.

If anything it just means there will be more of a focus on the high-end of the market where desktops are still valuable.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
We're in the blinking contest phase. What they hope we don't realize is that we, for the most part don't need them, at least for a substantial period, while they certainly need us to buy constantly. The ultra spenders will do as they always do, the mainstream buyer can expect falls in price. All the talk by a few that prices automatically will have to rise ignores the reality to companies. Sell or go bankrupt. price your non-essential product too high and sales fall, especially as we have huge existing stockpiles of working equipment.

For everyone that posts "I'll spend the huge sums", there are multiples who say "hell no".

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I've said this before, the majority of the market is corporate office workers, both desktop and laptop. Last year was Intel's first year of positive desktop volume in a long time...

I think you are seeing nothing more than a regression to the mean on desktop (the mean being a continued decline) if you factor in the hit from the Russia sanctions.

Intel's desktop volume fell 16% in 2015 btw. That was the Skylake year.

Reactions: moinmoin

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
idk if the volume was that high but I assume Intel is feeling a loss from Apple? also I guess upgrades cycle are still affected by the changes imposed by Covid, and GPU shortage might have affected them also in some ways?

John Carmack

Sep 10, 2016
idk if the volume was that high but I assume Intel is feeling a loss from Apple? also I guess upgrades cycle are still affected by the changes imposed by Covid, and GPU shortage might have affected them also in some ways?

Apple shipped almost 29 million Mac computers in 2021 (8.5% worldwide market share) with most models being built on Apple silicon. Losing that kind of volume hurts.

mikegg

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
Apple shipped almost 29 million Mac computers in 2021 (8.5% worldwide market share) with most models being built on Apple silicon. Losing that kind of volume hurts.
All of Apple's laptops used premium Intel chips. Even their Intel Macbook Air chips were top-of-the-line U chips - sometimes custom SKUs. So Intel lost more than 8.5% in terms of actual revenue.