Desktop client for BPM suite

chakraps

Feb 14, 2008
I'm new to software development and I'm learning. So please bear with me if my questions appear basic or noobish.

My experience started with using a proprietary BPM suite. I believe its based on the J2EE platform. Its offered both as on-premise & cloud hosted SAAS offering.

I want to build a desktop client/gadget/widget for this BPM suite. Nothing fancy to start with. User installs client. Sets up an account to connect to an instance of the BPM software. The client should then show pop-up alerts whenever a new task gets assigned to the user.

At this stage, I want to focus on how to build a basic client quickly and authenticate logged in user via the client. Could you guys give me pointers on what technologies I should look at to design the client and how authentication is handled in similar systems.

Thanks

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Oh, yeah, I forgot about this thread. I assume BPM means Business Process Management. Do you happen to know the name of the suite? Can you tell us? It wouldn't happen to be Jira, would it?

Otherwise, how would one normally log in to the suite? With a web browser? Have you looked at libcurl in that case?

ThinkOfTheCode

Aug 6, 2012
What is the BPM suite that you are going to use?

Chances are the functionality that you are looking to create is already supplied out of the box. I think you'll find that most BPMs provide a web interface for you.

The purpose of a BPM is to allow you to focus on the business logic without worrying about how to handle creating tasks lists, authentication, etc...