Designer & Gamer ---> ATI/nVIDIA

SIDEARMS

Jul 29, 2002
:confused:

$200 - ATI 8500DV
$200 - nVIDIA MSI TI4400

I'm a Graphic Designer and I can't make up my mind between these two video cards. They are about the same price, but with different capibilites. Below is a description of what I'll be using it for. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Designer-
3D Max animations and FX
Photoshop
Video Compression
Video Editing

Gamer-
Unreal Tournament 2003
Unreal Tournament 2003
Unreal Tournament 2003
...and did I mention Unreal Tournament 2003...

zsouthboy

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2001
First of all, welcome to the forums... remember, it's like the Hotel California, you can check out, but you'll never leave. :)

Personally, I would go for the MSI card....

the 8500 will have less performance, but it has a lot of extras that are cool, too.

Actually, what are your system specs? if you have a slower cpu the 8500 will be better....

Once again, welcome, and if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

zs

EDIT: man my grammar sucks :)

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd
well...if you plan on playing UT2k3 I say get the Ti4400...much faster!

I agree, the Ti4400 is WAY faster for UT 2k3, and aside from lacking VIVO is better on pretty much all fronts.

SIDEARMS

Jul 29, 2002
Well, UT2003 doesn't have to run over 100fps. I could live with anything around 60fps, 800x600, and all effects turned on. Any more suggestions would be great. Thanks.

AMD 1800+ oc/2000+
SOYO Dragon Ultra Platinum
Cosair 256 PC2700 DDR
Maxtor 80GB ATA133
...living in a Aluminum can...

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
As a graphics designer you want to use Radeon 8500 with its dual monitor feature!
Period!
Hydravision software beats everything but the Matrox cards...... Nvidia wouldnt even compare...
Most of the people seem to fogot that to have a nice, fluent gameplay you need to have.... 25, 30 fps... everything above that is nice but it is also an overkill....
Stick to Radeon if you are a designer/gamer.....
It will give you very good 2D image quality, dual monitor support or dual LCD support, good TV/OUT output, and quite fast gaming performance, comparable with GF4 TI 4200......
Did I mention Hydravision... man if you are a designer you are going to love that program.... it is kind of tricky to setup but once everything is all set, man you can do so much with the desktop configuration... and it really works......
I just installed a Radeon 7500 clon in one of my customers's computer, and she is loving it... Now she has a Photoshop screen on one monitor, and all of the tools on the second one... you cant beat the comfort.....
Also ATI drivers are getting better and better during the last couple of months......

Torghn

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2001
I'd have to say the Radeon, It'll play Unreal 2003 fast enough, and it's other featears will come in VERY handy for graphic designing.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Although my Radeon VE doesn't have the performance necessary for smooth running of today's games, it still uses the same Hydravision software as all of ATI's other dual-head-capable cards do, and I must say that I love the Hydravision stuff. It's great! :)