Designated Driver thrown out of Bar for not drinking?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Originally posted by: Amused
This was all I needed to hear:

However, according to a Pinellas Park police report, Romano (the bar owner) told officers "he requested a customer later identified as Gary Maujean to leave the establishment because he was not purchasing drinks."

The bar owner stepped in it, big time. He can't take this statement back. It's the shovel digging his grave.

The only question is - now that the owner's hit rock bottom, will he stop digging and suck it up, or break out the dynamite? :p

IIRC, parts of Ontario have DD bylaws that require bars to provide free non-alcoholic drinks. Bare minimum is water of course, but most places have realized that providing fountain pop/etc is yet another factor that causes said DD to choose that bar when it's their turn at the short straw. :p

- M4H

heh we tend to go to 2 bars. both of them offer free drinks (well pop) to the DD.

anyway unless there is a DD law then the bar owner is ok. granted what he did is a really bad business choice.

cjchaps

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2000
If the article is accurate I hope they throw the book at the Bar Owner. Treating a patron of 10+ years the way they did to him is rediculous.

theknight571

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
. . .
The only question is - now that the owner's hit rock bottom, will he stop digging and suck it up, or break out the dynamite? :p

IIRC, parts of Ontario have DD bylaws that require bars to provide free non-alcoholic drinks. Bare minimum is water of course, but most places have realized that providing fountain pop/etc is yet another factor that causes said DD to choose that bar when it's their turn at the short straw. :p

- M4H

This is what happened when I volunteered to be DD at my buddies bachelor party... all but one of the bars provided me with free pop.

Of course I was driving around 8 others that were buying drinks as fast as the bartender could bring 'em. lol

I'm not in Ontario btw, the party took place in and around Ann Arbor.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
you'd think a bar owner would treat a DD with some more respect. AFAIK, the bar owner/tender is held partially responsible if a patron they served end up killing someone while driving drunk. They are supposed to know when someone is too drunk, cut them off, and call a cab for them. Having a DD there relieves them from that responsibility. Also would attract more business if people know they have a DD and can drink as much as they want w/o having to worry about driving home afterward

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
yeah, the bar i went to had a entrance fee of "buy 1 drink minimum". I was the DD but I had to get the one drink. I just didnt drive people home for 2 hrs.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Tiamat
yeah, the bar i went to had a entrance fee of "buy 1 drink minimum". I was the DD but I had to get the one drink. I just didnt drive people home for 2 hrs.

One normal sized drink takes you no where near the legal limit. There was no reason to wait 2 hours (except the fact that your friends were having fun, of course).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having one or two normal sized drinks and driving.

giantpinkbunnyhead

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2005
Originally posted by: aphex
wow.. what an idiot...

And to all the Florida comments... laugh all you want, i'll just sit back and enjoy our 65 degree, perfectly clear weather today, while you freeze your ass off...

LOL well I for one, prefer 0 degrees over 65, so I guess we both win eh?

bcterps

Platinum Member
Aug 31, 2000
This guy was a regular at the bar too wasn't he? I can't believe the common sense that some people lack.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
wow.. what an idiot...

And to all the Florida comments... laugh all you want, i'll just sit back and enjoy our 65 degree, perfectly clear weather today, while you freeze your ass off...

I'll remember this post when you guys have a hurricane rip through your state :p

Jan 31, 2002

One normal sized drink takes you no where near the legal limit. There was no reason to wait 2 hours (except the fact that your friends were having fun, of course).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having one or two normal sized drinks and driving.

In before the ZOMFG U R DUI commentary.

/:beer:
/drive

- M4H

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Phokus
wow.. what an idiot...

I'll remember this post when you guys have a hurricane rip through your state :p

and tornado's. again.

GregGreen

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2000

That's not what the commercial I saw told me about buzzed driving. And I will enjoy two normal sized drinks before driving...

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

wrong. not to long ago i had a (one) glass of wine :wine: when i took my wife out for dinner. i dont know why it happend but that one glass of wine gave me a serious buzz, and if you have a buzz you are impared. we just made it a long dinner with dessert and tipped really well.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: GregGreen

That's not what the commercial I saw told me about buzzed driving. And I will enjoy two normal sized drinks before driving...

Yes, I know what the prohibitionist MADD says. They are full of crap. It's a sad day when a person can't have a couple glasses of wine with dinner and drive home.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Citrix

wrong. not to long ago i had a (one) glass of wine :wine: when i took my wife out for dinner. i dont know why it happend but that one glass of wine gave me a serious buzz, and if you have a buzz you are impared. we just made it a long dinner with dessert and tipped really well.

Well, if YOU don't feel safe to drive, by all means, don't. But to make such a rule arbitrarily is absurd. Two drinks don't affect me at all. Hell it takes four drinks within an hour for me to even feel a buzz and approach the legal limit.

slikmunks

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2001
wow.. what an idiot...

orrrr... you could do so-cal and enjoy the weather here without tornados... altho you do have to deal w/ an occasional earthquake... but those are more fun!

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Citrix

Well, if YOU don't feel safe to drive, by all means, don't. But to make such a rule arbitrarily is absurd. Two drinks don't affect me at all. Hell it takes four drinks within an hour for me to even feel a buzz and approach the legal limit.

I agree with that, and on the opposite end i have 4 beers and didnt feel a damn thing. that night was just weird, maybe the moon was in its libra cycle or somthing but that one glass of wine got my attentioin... :)

Ulfwald

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
May 27, 2000
Some of the bars I have gone to serve DDs coke and other non alcoholic drinks free. I asked one manager why he does this, and he stated that for every DD they keep happy, that is 2-4 people drinking a lot more. Plus it helps avoid lawsuits./

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
I'm confused why people would associate this with Florida? Unless, of course, this is common practice in the North East... since that's where most Floridians are from. :p

there is a lot of trash that comes down from the NE to get a fresh start.

Pacemaker

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Ulfwald
Some of the bars I have gone to serve DDs coke and other non alcoholic drinks free. I asked one manager why he does this, and he stated that for every DD they keep happy, that is 2-4 people drinking a lot more. Plus it helps avoid lawsuits./

It's just good business to treat the DD well. Typically the DDs are friends who don't/can't drink for whatever reason (or the nice one who obstains for the night), and they will want to go to the bars that treat them well. They will not want to go to the ones who charge them 5 bucks a coke (had this happen to me) with no free refills, or try to get them to drink.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Ulfwald

I find that the bars that cater more to the bachelor/bachelorette parties typically have this policy. They'll provide free drinks to the DD of the group.