Designated Driver thrown out of Bar for not drinking?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: SuperFreaky
wow... lawsuit?

uh no.

the owner has a righ to refuse service. If someone is just sitting htere doing nothing they have the right to ask them to leave. most places have a max number of people allowed.

but itwas still fvcking stupid.

well maybe for the bouncer hurting him. but once asked to leave he tried to come back in and got tackled.

bobdelt

May 26, 2006
It's not illegal for them to require customers to spend money. He didnt have to spend money on booze - he could have boughten 10 bucks worth of soda and i doubt he would have gotten kicked out. Even the espn zone does this, a lot of the more popular ones require that you spend 10+/hour.

Pacemaker

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: SuperFreaky
wow... lawsuit?

uh no.

the owner has a righ to refuse service. If someone is just sitting htere doing nothing they have the right to ask them to leave. most places have a max number of people allowed.

but itwas still fvcking stupid.

It was very stupid because had he gotten drunk and something happend then the Bar could be held liable for that. It's just a really stupid thing to do all around.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I'm confused why people would associate this with Florida? Unless, of course, this is common practice in the North East... since that's where most Floridians are from. :p

Pacemaker

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2001
Originally posted by: bobdelt
It's not illegal for them to require customers to spend money. He didnt have to spend money on booze - he could have boughten 10 bucks worth of soda and i doubt he would have gotten kicked out. Even the espn zone does this, a lot of the more popular ones require that you spend 10+/hour.

DD's don't tend go to bars alone, and if you throw out the DD you've lost many a steady drinker.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Pacemaker

DD's don't tend go to bars alone, and if you throw out the DD you've lost many a steady drinker.

yeah so it i was a dumb move. but against the law? no.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I hope he wins the lawsuit and that the bar loses lots of customers because of how they treat someone who drinks coke instead of beer.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Actually, I may be mistaken, but don't some states have designated driver laws that require bars to accommodate them?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Amused

Actually, I may be mistaken, but don't some states have designated driver laws that require bars to accommodate them?

hmm not sure about that. but i guess it would make sense eh?

but either way i don't think we are getting the whole or correct story.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

hmm not sure about that. but i guess it would make sense eh?

but either way i don't think we are getting the whole or correct story.

This was all I needed to hear:

However, according to a Pinellas Park police report, Romano (the bar owner) told officers "he requested a customer later identified as Gary Maujean to leave the establishment because he was not purchasing drinks."

The bar owner stepped in it, big time. He can't take this statement back. It's the shovel digging his grave.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
wow.. what an idiot...

And to all the Florida comments... laugh all you want, i'll just sit back and enjoy our 65 degree, perfectly clear weather today, while you freeze your ass off...

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
Originally posted by: aphex
wow.. what an idiot...

And to all the Florida comments... laugh all you want, i'll just sit back and enjoy our 65 degree, perfectly clear weather today, while you freeze your ass off...

GTFO :|

<-- sitting at home with the flu :(

jmdeathsquad

Feb 23, 2006
wow.. what an idiot...

yep, I'm enjoying it... but you have to admit, a disproportionate number of stupid people live in this state

Jan 31, 2002
This was all I needed to hear:

However, according to a Pinellas Park police report, Romano (the bar owner) told officers "he requested a customer later identified as Gary Maujean to leave the establishment because he was not purchasing drinks."

The bar owner stepped in it, big time. He can't take this statement back. It's the shovel digging his grave.

The only question is - now that the owner's hit rock bottom, will he stop digging and suck it up, or break out the dynamite? :p

IIRC, parts of Ontario have DD bylaws that require bars to provide free non-alcoholic drinks. Bare minimum is water of course, but most places have realized that providing fountain pop/etc is yet another factor that causes said DD to choose that bar when it's their turn at the short straw. :p

- M4H

SonnyDaze

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2004
wow.. what an idiot...

Yeah but at least I'll have a DD to drive me home in the cold. ;)