DeSantis is now into human trafficking

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Kinda like that Top Gear episode where they painted a car in pro Hillary and pro gay messages and tried to drive across Alabama.

images

Spoiler, they didn't make it.

That was actually pretty funny. Clarkson being chased by hordes of angry rednecks. The opposite of the Alien vs Predator tagline - "whoever loses, we win". As annoying as Clarkson is, and as uninterested in cars as I am, Top Gear did have its moments (the Reliant Robin Space Shuttle, and crossing the Channel in a pick-up truck were also highlights).

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Its easy to ignore the illegal immigration crises when they are not in your backyard. Shipping them and their problems to the liberal's home towns ...is genius.

It also reminds America who is letting it happen - Biden.

Has someone resurrected the Microsoft Nazi Chatbot and logged it onto ATPN?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
It is trolling that’s why. Nothing was proposed he simply put them on a private plane and sent them over. No notice no effort other than the effort to troll.
They were accepted and housed, no liberal tears were shed.

geek argued in the trump stolen documents thread that the FBI didn’t have to make such a big showy scene of it.

now he doesn’t mind

more motivated reasoning from the clown

Xcobra

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2004
I find it despicable that these conservative assholes are trying to pin all their problems to immigrants (let's face it, they don't care if they're legal or not - including asylum seekers) and blame them for these same problems created by other conservative assholes they have voted into office!

Reactions: thilanliyan

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Racist dipshits have done this before

DeSantis is such a piece of shit. Just imagine if the repugs who worship their own convenience were lied to and relocated like that, family and all. I guess we should be happy they didn't purposefully try to seperate and destroy the families like last time.

Show me a DeSantis voter and I'll show you a fucking horrible person. The guy is a disgrace to our entire country. Same for Abbott.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
That is false. The legality of their presence in the US hasn't been adjudicated yet so we have no idea if they are here legally or not. This is an undeniable fact.

Can you confirm that you're glad that the administration is no longer violating federal law by trying to deny migrants the ability to apply for asylum outside of ports of entry?

The US government already does this but they do so in a coordinated fashion instead of random governors flying people to random locations.

So the good news is that 1) these people aren't illegal and 2) the things you want for them were already being done.

So again, can I assume all your objections are resolved now?
still here illegally and these are not random locations. It appears to be deliberate locations where illegals can best be accepted. things like sanctuary communities or states that welcome illegals, well off resource rich communities so i see this as relieving a burden on locaitons that can't handle hundreds or thousands of illegals a day and instead ensure illegals are sent to those places where they can best be cared for.

good all around wouldn't you agree - the best place for illegals is where they are welcome and can be cared for- yes?

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
still here illegally and these are not random locations. It appears to be deliberate locations where illegals can best be accepted. things like sanctuary communities or states that welcome illegals, well off resource rich communities so i see this as relieving a burden on locaitons that can't handle hundreds or thousands of illegals a day and instead ensure illegals are sent to those places where they can best be cared for.

good all around wouldn't you agree - the best place for illegals is where they are welcome and can be cared for- yes?

Why are they not welcome in Florida? Why are they lied to and shipped off?
I have no problem with other states "sharing the burden" (as it's been referred to), but you don't just pile the people onto a plane, lie to them where they are being shipped to and not even tell those in MA that they are coming. Zero preparation or communication. That's the crux of the problem.

Screw DeSantis and screw the whole state (sorry for those that live there and are in fact good, kind people).

Reactions: DarthKyrie

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Why do you insist on repeating things you know aren’t true? They are not here illegally and this is an undeniable fact. They are in fact engaging in the exact process put forth by federal law!

I would think you would be happy these migrants are following the law and even happier that conservatives were forced to stop breaking the law. The law being your actual concern here of course, right? Just want to make sure.

The best place for immigrants is where they are welcome and can be cared for, something DeSantis did not even attempt to ascertain here.

As I said and as I know you know but just don’t want to admit, the best way to care for migrants is through a coordinated program, not idiot governors randomly shipping people across the country at a cost of millions of tax dollars so they can try to win a primary.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
DeSantis sends 2 planes of migrants to Martha's Vineyard

So, I'm not a lawyer ... but how is this not violating some federal statutes?
seeing reports that at least some were duped into getting onto the plane by being told they were headed to boston for expedited processing.

if true, that should support a federal kidnapping charge.
(a) Whoever unlawfully seizes, confines, inveigles, decoys, kidnaps, abducts, or carries away and holds for ransom or reward or otherwise any person, ... when--
(1) the person is willfully transported in interstate or foreign commerce
shall be punished by imprisonment for any term of years or for life

some of these people are minors. minimum 20 years.
(A) the victim of an offense under this section has not attained the age of eighteen years; ...
the sentence under this section for such offense shall include imprisonment for not less than 20 years.

and desantis is funding it, so might be looking at conspiracy to commit the kidnapping of a minor.
(c) If two or more persons conspire to violate this section and one or more of such persons do any overt act to effect the object of the conspiracy, each shall be punished by imprisonment for any term of years or for life.

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Can anyone name the business owner sent to jail for hiring non documented immigrants?

What generates the bigger number? Illegal border crossing or overstaying a visa?

Are you prepared to pay $20 for a head of lettuce? (no inflation jokes)

Answer those questions and you will realize the solution is complicated

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Somewhat amusingly apparently
Can anyone name the business owner sent to jail for hiring non documented immigrants?

What generates the bigger number? Illegal border crossing or overstaying a visa?

Are you prepared to pay $20 for a head of lettuce? (no inflation jokes)

Answer those questions and you will realize the solution is complicated
The solution isn't really complicated - America needs more workers and people want to come work here. We should let them.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
seeing reports that at least some were duped into getting onto the plane by being told they were headed to boston for expedited processing.

if true, that should support a federal kidnapping charge.

some of these people are minors. minimum 20 years.

and desantis is funding it, so might be looking at conspiracy to commit the kidnapping of a minor.

Unless one of these migrants video recorded their interaction, those texts that they have from just a first name sadly won't hold up in court.

Well sting time to catch these repugicans in the act.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
One Venezuelan migrant who arrived at Martha's Vineyard identified himself as Luis, 27, and said he and nine relatives were promised a flight to Massachusetts, along with shelter, support for 90 days, help with work permits and English lessons. He said they were surprised when their flight landed on an island.

He said the promises came from a woman who gave her name as "Perla" who approached his family on the street outside a San Antonio shelter after they crossed from Mexico and U.S. border authorities released them with an immigration court date.

He said the woman, who also put them up in a hotel, did not provide a last name or any affiliation, but asked them to sign a liability waiver.

Florida taxpayers are the suckers here

The use of resources from Florida to move migrants from Texas to Massachusetts raises legal concerns

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
What's funny/sad is conservatives during Jim Crow tried the same thing - shipping black people north with the idea that liberals were secretly as racist as they were and would be horrified. Just like in this case the liberals were fine with it.

It really is true that modern American conservatism is nearly all projection. They think everyone else is as horrible as they are and are baffled when they find out that's not true.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
I guess the "good" Christians of Texas and Florida are somehow being victimized by this so called "flood" of immigrants, and that there’s all these heathens in Massachusetts and wherever who are saying we ought to treat the immigrants more nicely - so let’s send them over there and see whether the heathens are still whistling the same tune?

Well, "good" Christians of Texas and Florida: why don’t you just rip Deuteronomy out of your Bibles right now, because Deuteronomy really pounds it in, over and over again, that you’re supposed to be charitable to aliens, the poor and disadvantaged and orphans etc.

So if you’re more concerned with owning the "libs" of Massachusetts than doing what the Bible says, then go ahead and rip Deuteronomy right out of your fucking Bibles. The book whose words you only care about when they back up your prejudices. If one of the Old Testament prophets were alive today, he’d grab your Bible from you and do it for you and save you the trouble.

This action was made out of a place of hatred. Anyone who defends this is also coming entirely from a place of hatred. The fact that it “backfired” and no one was harmed by their actions only serves to make them hate more. Whats the next step GOP? load up immigrants into the back of semi trailers, and deliver a bunch of dead and dying people to “sanctuary cities” as their next form of gotcha?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I guess the "good" Christians of Texas and Florida are somehow being victimized by this so called "flood" of immigrants, and that there’s all these heathens in Massachusetts and wherever who are saying we ought to treat the immigrants more nicely - so let’s send them over there and see whether the heathens are still whistling the same tune?

Well, "good" Christians of Texas and Florida: why don’t you just rip Deuteronomy out of your Bibles right now, because Deuteronomy really pounds it in, over and over again, that you’re supposed to be charitable to aliens, the poor and disadvantaged and orphans etc.

So if you’re more concerned with owning the "libs" of Massachusetts than doing what the Bible says, then go ahead and rip Deuteronomy right out of your fucking Bibles. The book whose words you only care about when they back up your prejudices. If one of the Old Testament prophets were alive today, he’d grab your Bible from you and do it for you and save you the trouble.

This action was made out of a place of hatred. Anyone who defends this is also coming entirely from a place of hatred. The fact that it “backfired” and no one was harmed by their actions only serves to make them hate more. Whats the next step GOP? load up immigrants into the back of semi trailers, and deliver a bunch of dead and dying people to “sanctuary cities” as their next form of gotcha?
It is telling that conservatives seem angry that more people are not suffering due to their policy choice.

I love how they so gleefully thought how the liberals on Martha's Vinyard would be so horrified and angry and they were so excited by this, only to be bitterly disappointed that the liberals there were nice. (and at this time of year are mostly not rich)

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
It has not fully backfired yet. This is from Friday (Sept. 9, 2022) morning's front page of the New York Post:

This is disgusting. A former POTUS, who is still roundly beloved around the world, has to give up his home, his security and his peace because some selfish right-winger says he must.

How come no one is demanding the uber rich share their many homes? It's not like they have only one. As a former POTUS, Obama is due Secret Service protection and more importantly, respect.

I said this would get ugly. In New York City and other cities, I predict some pretty nasty political battles between the long-time working poor and those who want to be replace them. Many municipal budgets are going to be shredded because these new arrivals must be housed, fed, afforded health care and their children educated.

Well, at least the migrants can always avail themselves of a glass of clean drinking water.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It has not fully backfired yet. This is from Friday (Sept. 9, 2022) morning's front page of the New York Post:

This is disgusting. A former POTUS, who is still roundly beloved around the world, has to give up his home, his security and his peace because some selfish right-winger says he must.

How come no one is demanding the uber rich share their many homes? It's not like they have only one. As a former POTUS, Obama is due Secret Service protection and more importantly, respect.

I said this would get ugly. In New York City and other cities, I predict some pretty nasty political battles between the long-time working poor and those who want to be replace them. Many municipal budgets are going to be shredded because these new arrivals must be housed, fed, afforded health care and their children educated.

Well, at least the migrants can always avail themselves of a glass of clean drinking water.
You do realize that NYC is 40% immigrants, right? Also, NYC has faced a multi-year decline in the number of students in our K-12 system so if anything a large surge would just return us to where we were.

It's just very odd to say 'oh man all those immigrants are really going to throw NYC for a loop!' Like... what?

Nov 29, 2006
Remember not so long ago when they called themselves "compassionate conservatives"? Which we all knew was a joke, but at least the pretended back then. Now they are just Cruel Conservatives and rejoice in it.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Should ask her, why not have a different former POTUS with even more real estate available to house these migrants?