Depression is real

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Words (Soooo, tell me about your feelings for your Mother .......) and mind/mood altering drugs do NOT solve underlying problems. The world sucks. Period. Nothing will change that.

For those that choose to inbibe, so be it. Have it your way. But don't try to tell the rest of us that it works. It don't.

Yes, there are those with legitimate physiological issues like chemical imbalances. For those, an adjustment might be in order the same way Insulin can be.

But for me, (let me stress this clearly) THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AT ALL that will change anything.
I am in almost in agreement....but with the opposite outlook. No, not blindly optimistic, but I'm never "down" on a deep-seated level.

Just the last sentence; change is difficult, not impossible. Usually, finding the "key" or pathway to change is not able to be done, but in some cases, it can be done.

Reactions: Captante

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I've been thinking the last couple days. A big danger to me at the moment that could prevent major longevity would seem to be my skating. I am really good at it, have never been hurt in my over 30 years of constant skating except when my equipment failed: Broken king pin 6 months ago had the front wheels on one skate fling ahead of me by 15 feet and I smashed headlong into the asphalt going maybe 8-10 mph. My hands took the brunt (gloved!!!) but I'm still suffering a major sprain to my dominant hand pinky. Saw all 3 of the hand surgeons of my HMO at my facility, had over a dozen visits with a hand therapist, the last one 3 weeks ago today.

4 months before that accident a wheel axle nut suddenly with no warning came off (never found it) and the wheel careened away and hid behind a car's tire (I saw it, though).

Two days ago I realized I forgot to change my glasses from my computer glasses to my distance and I doubled back. I made the switch and was about to restart my 10 miler when I felt something weird in one skate: The inside back wheel of one skate had come off! This was a new wheel with a practically new axle nut that I'd checked previous to skating!!! This freaked me out... how could this happen? If I hadn't forgotten my glasses that wheel would almost for sure come off when I was skating on the street, typically at 7-10 mph depending on slope and wind velocity. Thinking this over I got the idea that if I expect to continue my skating and avoid major injury (even minor injuries) I need to do something different. I hit on the idea of using thread locking compound to keep the axle nuts from coming off. I have some but it's really old. Last night I ordered new stuff, should have it in 4 days. I hope it does the trick! It's not typically done by skaters, but I figure I have no choice here. The shop owner who told me I should change my axle nuts when I bought my equipment over 30 years ago never left my mind, but I didn't take his advice and rarely changed them. Since my accident I changed them all and put new ones on within the last couple weeks. Having one work its way off when I'd just checked it is disconcerting to say the least. I still feel pain from that accident around last Xmas.

The king pin that broke on me 6+ months ago... I'd never heard of that, but was told by a skateboarder that they break all the time. I figure now to change my king pins with frequency, if I keep skating at my pace, at least once a year.

I figure if I keep after it, change parts that can fail and use thread locker I can hopefully prevent further injury. I do love my skating! It's the only thing that's kept me in good shape during the pandemic. I have a Concept2 Model D Rower, got it for when I can't skate due to inclement weather, but skating is way way more fun and I haven't figured out how to row without my butt hurting after 10 minutes... just bought some seat accessories, but haven't had the occasion to test them out. Rains will come soon.
You're really tempting Atropos to cut your thread of life.

Good chance the butt hurting is due to lack of muscular stretching and releasing of knots in the muscles. Since you do long endurance exercise and had immobilization due to injury, there's a good chance of "knots" developing without trigger point treatment. When I got a laceration, the awkward position of sleeping left my right shoulder and right forearm way off. A really good trigger point therapist put some pressure on my forearm area and there was a big yeouch of pain.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Words (Soooo, tell me about your feelings for your Mother .......) and mind/mood altering drugs do NOT solve underlying problems. The world sucks. Period. Nothing will change that.

For those that choose to inbibe, so be it. Have it your way. But don't try to tell the rest of us that it works. It don't.

Yes, there are those with legitimate physiological issues like chemical imbalances. For those, an adjustment might be in order the same way Insulin can be.

But for me, (let me stress this clearly) THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AT ALL that will change anything.

Yeah, I think I'm on the same page on this one.

I figure depression is just the default condition. Life _is_ depressing.

Talk therapy is largely about trying to cultivate delusions. Therapists just try to get you to be as delusional as they are, only you can't be because you haven't had the atypically-positive experiences that they usually have had.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
As someone who hasn't received a paycheck in 18 months now, my little brother described it like this, "we've removed the cloak from the matrix and see for what it really is". I don't want to talk about your stressful job, how long your pointless commute was this morning, how expensive your leased Tesla is, stupid Kanye headlines in the news, or whatever bullshit gossip to degrade someone else you've got up your sleeve.

I just want to go surf or play pickleball on a Tuesday morning at 10AM. I want to go back to... a child-like existence. And while I've got the freedom for some of that, I've got no one to do that with. And then when people are free - the weekends - I can't stand to have to wait 30 minutes to sit down at a restaurant, deal with overflow parking, or just whatever attraction we go to be super crowded (even my joy of surfing gets packed at many spots) after doing all of those things throughout the week off peak hours.

Society is depressing. And while I'm so grateful I get to opt out for now, I just hope in 3 decades when my son is near my age now, people are happier, healthier, and have a significantly better work-life balance than now. But that's a capitalistic pipedream so I'll just be doing my best to ensure he doesn't have to deal with its bs too.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You're really tempting Atropos to cut your thread of life.

Good chance the butt hurting is due to lack of muscular stretching and releasing of knots in the muscles. Since you do long endurance exercise and had immobilization due to injury, there's a good chance of "knots" developing without trigger point treatment. When I got a laceration, the awkward position of sleeping left my right shoulder and right forearm way off. A really good trigger point therapist put some pressure on my forearm area and there was a big yeouch of pain.
If she knows what's good for her she won't mess with me.

• Haha
Reactions: Torn Mind

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Yeah, I think I'm on the same page on this one.

I figure depression is just the default condition. Life _is_ depressing.

Talk therapy is largely about trying to cultivate delusions. Therapists just try to get you to be as delusional as they are, only you can't be because you haven't had the atypically-positive experiences that they usually have had.
This has not been my experience with cognitive behavioral therapy. And I don't think life is just inherently depressing, there's good stuff and there's bad stuff. The fact we're burning down the entire planet to fuel the fires of industry is all the more reason to enjoy what we do have while it's still here.

Nov 17, 2019
"And I don't think life is just inherently depressing, ..."

Really?

From the very moment you're born, your ONLY destiny is to die.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Really?

So? Everything dies. It's just part of the journey. What's so bad about that? What makes it inherently depressing that you're going to die?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
This has not been my experience with cognitive behavioral therapy. And I don't think life is just inherently depressing, there's good stuff and there's bad stuff. The fact we're burning down the entire planet to fuel the fires of industry is all the more reason to enjoy what we do have while it's still here.

Very much been my experience with CBT most of all. CBT seems to be entirely predicated on the idea that you have problems because you are just not as smart or as rational or as in touch with reality as the, usually quite well-off, physically-healthy, affluent bourgie (and often privately-educated) white therapist.

CBT is Panglossian by its very nature. It lends itself perfectly to victim-blaming and to maintaining a status-quo. My experience is that it seems to treat people as robots that just need their underlying programming debugged - which I think is an inaccurate idea of what human experience is.

In particular it seems to ignore the fact we have physical bodies, pretending we are creatures of pure disembodied thought. Been through it a few times and it never made any sense to me.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Very much been my experience with CBT most of all. CBT seems to be entirely predicated on the idea that you have problems because you are just not as smart or as rational or as in touch with reality as the, usually quite well-off, physically-healthy, affluent bourgie (and often privately-educated) white therapist.

CBT is Panglossian by its very nature. It lends itself perfectly to victim-blaming and to maintaining a status-quo. My experience is that it seems to treat people as robots that just need their underlying programming debugged - which I think is an inaccurate idea of what human experience is.

In particular it seems to ignore the fact we have physical bodies, pretending we are creatures of pure disembodied thought. Been through it a few times and it never made any sense to me.
Yeah, verrrrry not much my experience with CBT, it was about identifying the negative feelings, figuring out the source of them, and then how best to deal with the underlying source of negative feelings.
But I do think it's accurate to say we just need our programming debugged, our brain is just a fleshy computer, it's a system like any other system, something we can use to our advantage.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

Really?

Idk about "life" being 100% depressing but YOU seem to have that whole "being depressing" thing down.

:confused_old:

11l1kf.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: nakedfrog

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Yeah, verrrrry not much my experience with CBT, it was about identifying the negative feelings, figuring out the source of them, and then how best to deal with the underlying source of negative feelings.
But I do think it's accurate to say we just need our programming debugged, our brain is just a fleshy computer, it's a system like any other system, something we can use to our advantage.
Maybe it's a cultural feature of the extremely prevalent classism over there in the UK.

Feb 4, 2009
@Mayne
I like you man, you need to get out of the house and do stuff. Literally anything but drink or hang out in a bar. Don’t stress about the small stuff, get some sort of job and again don’t stress about small stuff. Even a job that’s comically easy.
Join a club or meetup group like the type that meets up to go hiking or something. Nobody is going to judge you. You are a qualified HVAC guy right? Do some time building something like habitat for humanity.
Get out of the house and meet new people. No other way to say this, just do it.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Maybe it's a cultural feature of the extremely prevalent classism over there in the UK.
That does seem like it could be a factor. My therapist worked as a hairdresser until she got her degree and license, I don't remember what the background was for my son's therapists.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Getting out of the city might help too, at least take a trip to a provincial park or something but I'd honestly consider a move if you don't have family there. Big cities like Toronto are not exactly a nice place to live and will raise anyone's anxiety and depression levels.

Any time I spend time at my camp I feel so at peace. I don't even really have anything there yet but can't wait to get setup so I can do longer/overnight trips. And eventually live there.

tCo2Sb9.jpg

I think nature boosts serotonin to the max or something. It's almost like a high. I highly recommend going for like a week camping trip or something while the weather is still half decent.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I think you need Jesus! This life on earth is but temporary but there lies more ahead.
I hope so. I'm headed for the Big 404 soon, it seems. I'm pretty sure that the disrupted sleep, swapped day/night cycles, and "pressure headaches", are because I'm growing something in my brain cavity. Don't know if it's cancerous or benign, but something's in there, and this week, it's getting larger, and it's getting harder for me to cogitate and speak clearly.

BTW, my best friend died in our 20s of a brain tumor.

Edit: It's been fun, peeps. :)

Edit: If I'm gonna die, rather die in my apt., not some hospital, so please, don't send me to one.

Edit: Maybe it's just "brain swelling", and pushing against my slightly-deformed, over-grown skull? I can hope, I guess.

But my mom looked up symptoms of a brain tumor, and I had every one. Plus, I've basically "known" the last three years, as I've watched my genius slip into cognitive decline, and some loss of executive function, hence my hot deals buying addiction.

"Something" is physiologically not right with my brain, and a tumor, given the 1T EMF field that I essentially live in, from my four wifi routers and many, many PCs. (Main LAN is wired, tho.) is not surprising. Especially given the deformations on the outside right / back on my skull, and the pressure I feel inside.

This is for OP:
Still, some research gives tentative support to EMF symptomatology. Here are symptoms that some studies have suggested:

• sleep disturbances, including insomnia
  • headache
  • depression and depressive symptoms
  • tiredness and fatigue
  • dysesthesia (a painful, often itchy sensation)
  • lack of concentration
  • changes in memory
  • dizziness
  • irritability
  • loss of appetite and weight loss
  • restlessness and anxiety
  • nausea
  • skin burning and tingling

Last edited:
  • Wow

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Getting out of the city might help too, at least take a trip to a provincial park or something but I'd honestly consider a move if you don't have family there. Big cities like Toronto are not exactly a nice place to live and will raise anyone's anxiety and depression levels.

Any time I spend time at my camp I feel so at peace. I don't even really have anything there yet but can't wait to get setup so I can do longer/overnight trips. And eventually live there.

tCo2Sb9.jpg

I think nature boosts serotonin to the max or something. It's almost like a high. I highly recommend going for like a week camping trip or something while the weather is still half decent.

Feb 4, 2009
I hope so. I'm headed for the Big 404 soon, it seems. I'm pretty sure that the disrupted sleep, swapped day/night cycles, and "pressure headaches", are because I'm growing something in my brain cavity. Don't know if it's cancerous or benign, but something's in there, and this week, it's getting larger, and it's getting harder for me to cogitate and speak clearly.

BTW, my best friend died in our 20s of a brain tumor.

Edit: It's been fun, peeps. :)

Edit: If I'm gonna die, rather die in my apt., not some hospital, so please, don't send me to one.

Edit: Maybe it's just "brain swelling", and pushing against my slightly-deformed, over-grown skull? I can hope, I guess.

But my mom looked up symptoms of a brain tumor, and I had every one. Plus, I've basically "known" the last three years, as I've watched my genius slip into cognitive decline, and some loss of executive function, hence my hot deals buying addiction.

"Something" is physiologically not right with my brain, and a tumor, given the 1T EMF field that I essentially live in, from my four wifi routers and many, many PCs. (Main LAN is wired, tho.) is not surprising. Especially given the deformations on the outside right / back on my skull, and the pressure I feel inside.

This is for OP:
Larry, get this checked out

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
"Something" is physiologically not right with my brain

the deformations on the outside right / back on my skull, and the pressure I feel inside

Larry, get this checked out

Seriously bro this x1000 !!! :oops:

Get all depressed and fatalistic AFTER they diagnose you with stage 4 cancer NOT before! (better yet not even then but you know what I mean!)

Go see a doctor MONDAY. (please!)

Don't make me come find you and drag you by the ear! ;)

Last edited: