Depositing a personal check into my account. How do I know when it clears?

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
I deposited a check on friday afternoon and they told me it'd be posted on monday. So if the money is in my account does that mean it cleared? I thought personal checks took 7-10 days to clear. :confused:

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
So once it's in your account there is no chance of it disappearing like with paypal?

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Shawn
So once it's in your account there is no chance of it disappearing like with paypal?

Nope. If the check has cleared, it's cleared.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

Depends on the bank. They'll normally hold the funds for a certain number of days. Depends on your banks policy.

with my bank it shows up as ledger balance versus available balance.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
often you have a "total balance" and an "available" balance. you get credited for the money as soon as you deposit the check (meaning you are earning interest), but you can only withdraw it after it clears, which takes 2-3 days. the days of the 7-10 day clearing are thankfully over.

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by: pulse8

Nope. If the check has cleared, it's cleared.

Nope, a check can be a fake and it may take the bank a couple of weeks to figure it out, while the money would already be in your account.