Denny's to impose 5% Obamacare surcharge

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Indeed!

Cry-Baby-GOP.gif

Funny, the ones that are in a rage and crying in this thread are liberals just like yourself.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yep, great idea, that takes out even more jobs from those liberal cities that are pretty much all running massively in the red already financially. Liberal logic for ya ;)

But Liberal cities don't have a jobs shortage problem so what's your point?

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
They don't? Really? So Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit etc all have wonderful budget surpluses? Wonderful news!

What does a budget surplus have to do with people being employed considering you Rightists don't consider public workers as having a job Moran?

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Funny, the ones that are in a rage and crying in this thread are liberals just like yourself.

More of the "You don't agree with me, so you are "liberal" myth. Is that all your side has? You are extreme and you are debating moderate/rights, the democrats. There is no liberal party in this country. We get it, in order to frame the conversation so that you won't appear extreme like you are, ANYONE who disagrees MUST be from the polar opposite extreme. It is still fantasy land, the same place that brought your election losses this season.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
More of the "You don't agree with me, so you are "liberal" myth. Is that all your side has? You are extreme and you are debating moderate/rights, the democrats. There is no liberal party in this country. We get it, in order to frame the conversation so that you won't appear extreme like you are, ANYONE who disagrees MUST be from the polar opposite extreme. It is still fantasy land, the same place that brought your election losses this season.

Wouldn't your argument actually fit the Democratic Party better?

By claiming to be "moderate" they make it look like they are the non-extreme party?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Just for the sake of conversation...

Fed BCBS Basic Self-only +16.2%
Fed BCBS Basic Family +7.5%
Fed BCBS Standard Self-only -0.9%
Fed BCBS Standard Family -0.4%

GEHA High Self-only +6.7%
GEHA High Family +7.0%
GEHA Standard Self-only +5.0%
GEHA Standard Family +5.0%
GEHA HDHP Self-only +5.0%
GEHA HDHP Family +5.0%

All of these are non-postal, employee cost increases.

This is the one that we really need to pay attention to:

akcs-www2.png

In 10 short years, assuming nothing is done which so far has been politically unfeasible, we are at $2 trillion a year for JUST Federal healthcare spending. Anyone honestly think we can afford that? From there on it just gets ridiculous. Also note the chart is based solely on the historical rate of inflation of the Feds healthcare costs and does not take into account the higher per capita enrollment.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net

I'm a moderate conservative and no doubt those who are whining and crying this thread are from the left/liberals.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
I'm a moderate conservative and no doubt those who are whining and crying this thread are from the left/liberals.

The funny part is they are not whining about Denny's raising their prices because of Obamacare. They are whining because Denny's is telling everyone about it.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Its a shame companies go crazy-crazy due to all the pressure these days. The publicity (versus just raising prices) will do them no good, they are just trying to spread woe.

I very highly doubt that your average Denny's customer is going to be influenced in anyway by this. Hell, Denny's might pick up a few Repub customers that normally wouldn't dine there.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I claim SHENS. Turns out the Papa Johns claims of how much Obamacare would cost per pizza were wildly exaggerated.

We've been over this. You have no proof of your statement as we do not know how they calculated it. If they chose solely to calculate the cost of Obamacare on pizza sales alone it may very well be accurate. Also - the article clearly uses inaccurate numbers in its calculations

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Here is a good comment:

In this article:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...cut-employee-hours-deal-cost-legislation.html

I don't know if his numbers are accurate, but based on what he's saying who here can blame him? These restaurants are hardly printing presses. BTW $5k/year is crap insurance, so he's probably talking bottom-of-the-barrel stuff, and yet where is this money going to come from? It has to either come from the customer or from his employees in the form of less pay OR what he claims he'll do: cut their hours back.

Apparently some people here think a business can easily find a few grand per employee? Sorry, these employees are not worth much: their pay sucks, economically on a societal level they are not actually contributing enough to the economy to buy modern health care. And that's why they don't have it. And it's why the only way they'll get it is with universal care where the cost is put off to gov, but putting it off to private businesses forces them to do what they can to avoid it.

I don't know if this Denny's guy's numbers are accurate, but only a truly naive fool thinks any business is going to take on a new cost without exploring options to minimize. Much of the restaurant business operates on razor thin margins and paying $2k (the penalty) per low-end worker is a massive burden. That penalty alone increases the worker's cost by 10% if he's making only $10/hour.

Of course it is, he is the boss. You think the boss should have no more perks than the lowliest employee on the food chain? That's not how it works.

I agree it's probably better for him to just insure his employees and jack the prices up by 5%, though.
Excellent post. I think it's probably a good idea to show the ACA cost as a surcharge, as phone companies did with the Gore Taxes. What's not a good idea is to be a dick about it, suggesting that customers take it out of his servers' tips. A more sensitive and perhaps ultimately smarter way would be to provide insurance and present a surcharge for that. Personally I'd much rather pay a 10% or 20% surcharge to provide ACA-compliant insurance than a 5% surcharge to pay the penalties, even if it means I can't afford to eat out as much. I might even try Denny's again in that case - haven't eaten there since the scandal with not seating Secret Service agents so I've lost any remembrance of the food.

As it stands, if I were eating at Denny's this would make me not want to eat there, and I'm a pretty right-wing, anti-Obamacare kinda guy. I don't want dicks around my food.

Just for the sake of conversation...

Fed BCBS Basic Self-only +16.2%
Fed BCBS Basic Family +7.5%
Fed BCBS Standard Self-only -0.9%
Fed BCBS Standard Family -0.4%

GEHA High Self-only +6.7%
GEHA High Family +7.0%
GEHA Standard Self-only +5.0%
GEHA Standard Family +5.0%
GEHA HDHP Self-only +5.0%
GEHA HDHP Family +5.0%

All of these are non-postal, employee cost increases.
Yeeah - we here at ATPN have actually lost the ability to deal with actual hard data, but thanks for trying. :D

Now I'm off to open a restaurant since Siguros81 confidently informs me I can earn $10,000,000 per year just working weekends.

(Did I say "earn"? I meant "win life's lottery", of course!)

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Oh look, Metz reverses:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/11/dennys-pancakes-with-a-side-of-obamacare-tax-not-yet/

"But now representatives for Metz are walking back those statements, telling ABC News in a statement that while Metz will cut back hours his employees work, the 5 percent surcharge was merely speculation, and never was his actual intention."

Jackass.

And liberals celebrate because they think they "won".

Yeah! Now he's only going to cut hours! We showed that evil fat cat alright! Yeah!

Face it, obamacare is forcing business to raise prices, lower benefits, cut hours. All great news for the economy as obama's polices hit the middle class on both ends - income AND expenses. Income down, expenses up.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
And liberals celebrate because they think they "won".

Yeah! Now he's only going to cut hours! We showed that evil fat cat alright! Yeah!

Face it, obamacare is forcing business to raise prices, lower benefits, cut hours. All great news for the economy as obama's polices hit the middle class on both ends - income AND expenses. Income down, expenses up.

Because 30 million uninsured people going to the emergency room for treatment doesn't cost anything.

Denny's is only worthwhile at 3am after a night of drinking just sayin

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Because 30 million uninsured people going to the emergency room for treatment doesn't cost anything.

Denny's is only worthwhile at 3am after a night of drinking just sayin

So you're happy middle class families will have less hours, less money and in the end LESS benefits as business seeks to avoid obamacare taxes and penalties?

Everybody predicted this would happen, and here we are - it's happening just as predicted. Business WILL find a way. This is only the beginning of business cutting hours, wages, benefits and raising prices - squeezing the middle class at both ends all thanks to obamacare.

Last edited:

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
So you're happy middle class families will have less hours, less money and in the end LESS benefits as business seeks to avoid obamacare taxes and penalties?

Everybody predicted this would happen, and here we are - it's happening just as predicted. Business WILL find a way. This is only the beginning of business cutting hours, wages, benefits and raising prices - squeezing the middle class at both ends all thanks to obamacare.

Middle class families don't work at Denny's, middle class family's don't work at papa johns.

I am middle class and will keep my existing employer healthcare.

And I read the entire ACA at one point, it's awful legislation, terrible and doomed to fail. But not because of the cost increase to some businesses.

If you want to shred obamacare I'm right there with you, but you have to pick more legit arguments.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Leave, loser. You gave it your best shot in the run-up to the election, and proved that you opinions aren't worth shit.

Just leave now.

I think the ACA would cover the padded room and IV of medication that dude TRULY needs.....

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

Stopped reading at the bolded. Anything after is just proven as the rantings of a lunatic.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Again some random bloke jumping into the end of a discussion and acting like he has something smart to add. For one thing, this started with me addressing some random number some idiotic poster made up, and what I referenced had nothing to do with the numbers of Denny's, and if you paid attention, the discussion shifted towards talking about restaurant profitability in general, not Denny's. :rolleyes:

Post 144: waterjug states that if the healthcare costs for a Denny's are $175,000 annually, that would wipe out their entire profit. This statement was made in reliance upon the article in the original post.

Post 149: You quote Post 144 and claim that a popular chain restaurant like Buffalo Wild Wings or Hooters "net" $175,000 per month on "gross profit" of $200,000 on a "good weekend". You offer no backup for this claim.

Post 151: spidey07 quotes Post 149 and claims that $2,000-3,000 in gross receipts per day is much more likely than $175,000 of profit per month. He offers no backup for this claim.

Post 159: You quote Post 151 and basically say "Trust me." You offer no backup for this claim.

Post 165: DocSavageFan quotes Post 159 and supports spidey07's statement. He offers no backup for his claim.

Post 167: nehalem256 quotes post 159 and asks how a your claim that a cocktail with $1,500 in gross receipts leads to $200,000 in profit.

Post 175: shira quotes post 151 and notes that Denny's net 2011 profit was $112 million, which equates to $300,000 of profit per day.

Post 176: You quote Post 165 and dispute DocSavageFan's claims of gross receipts. You offer no backup for your claim.

I could continue to go on, but I won't. The point is that while you decry someone throwing out "random numbers" at you, you have done the exact same thing. The only people who even remotely make informed statements are waterjug, who relies on the linked article, and shira, who uses Denny's annual statement, just incorrectly.

Seeing as how the thread started with a discussion on Denny's profitability and operations, I see no reason why my use of Denny's income information should be troubling. In fact, your insistence that the conversation was about "restaurant profitability in general" only serves to further obfuscate the fact that restaurant profitability varies on too many factors, to the point that comparing two Denny's restaurants becomes difficult and comparing a Denny's to an Applebee's or Buffalo Wild Wings is just stupid.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Stopped reading at the bolded. Anything after is just proven as the rantings of a lunatic.

It is proven fact that many companies are cutting employee hours to avoid obamacare penalties, taxes and mandates. That's what the thread is about. Are you trying to deny that's not happening?