Denied credit card because "unable to verify residence"

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
i've been living here for four months now. i checked my credit score and it was 750 at all three agencies. i should be able to be approved no prob.

however i'm not getting approved because they are "unable to verify my residence." what can i do about that?

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
dammit ATOT is not the 'CitizenDoug Advisory Office' ;)

that said, i have nothing helpful to say :eek:

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: CitizenDoug
i've been living here for four months now. i checked my credit score and it was 750 at all three agencies. i should be able to be approved no prob.

however i'm not getting approved because they are "unable to verify my residence." what can i do about that?

Get a landline phone bill,and electric/heat bill,and send copies to the credit agency.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
It is because your credit report doesn't list your current address on it, by 4 months you would think one of your current credit cards you updated your address with would have updated it.

tami

Lifer
Nov 14, 2004
Originally posted by: cavemanmoron

Get a landline phone bill,and electric/heat bill,and send copies to the credit agency.

yes, this is all you should need.

a cable bill works too.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I have a feeling this is going to screw me as well. Just moved, my credit report has a notation that I've been a victim of attempted identity theft (so there's extra security), and all of our bills are in my wife's name.

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
Originally posted by: tami
Originally posted by: cavemanmoron

yes, this is all you should need.

a cable bill works too.

Oh well I did just get a land line installed. Hopefully that will be enough to clue them in.

Also it's one of those "on campus apartments" so being University owned probably screws things up.

I think it is funny that American Express trusts me with $30,000 and I can't get approved for a friggin Visa card.

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Do you have utilities established in YOUR NAME and ADDRESS?

Well the only utilities I have to pay are telephone service.. and even that gets a little confusing because again it's university owned and the telephone company has some deal with the school where they use a weird address system.

Funny I didn't have any trouble getting a liscense to run a business out of this room ;)

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Originally posted by: wiredspider
do paying utilities increase your credit rating in any way?

Usually not, most do not report anything to the credit agencies.

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000

Well just an update -- I recently opened a student checking account with MBNA and remembered that they offered me a credit card at that time.

I went back and talked to the bank manager (who i'm actually becoming good friends with ;) ) and they offered me one of those nice 1% cash back Visa's with a $5000 limit. I was hoping for more than $5000 but I guess they usually up your limit pretty quick after they see you spending $5000 a month ;)