Dems poop the bed on eviction moratorium extension

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Seriously, WTF? Pelosi is pointing fingers at Biden. Biden’s team says Congress had the ball. Schumer says “oh I thought the CDC had this?” Biden says “SCOTUS tied our hands it’s your job now…oh btw you have 48 hours!”

Meanwhile, Cori Bush is sleeping on the Capitol steps this weekend until lawmakers come back from recess.

There’s no excuse here. None. If we get spanked in the midterms and everyone is wondering why…bookmark this weekend.

Edit: just remembered something about cuss words in titles

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I get not wanting people evicted who aren't working through no fault of their own...COVID shutdowns...but too many people seem to be taking advantage of this by not paying their rent or mortgage even though they COULD do so.
Who pays the mortgage company? Who makes the landlord's payments?

Reactions: Leeea

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
I get not wanting people evicted who aren't working through no fault of their own...COVID shutdowns...but too many people seem to be taking advantage of this by not paying their rent or mortgage even though they COULD do so.
Literally billions of state and federal aid floating out there to keep landlords from getting the short shrift:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The point of an additional extension is because there is a lot of government aid out there that can catch people up with their rent and pay landlords, while keeping people in their homes. The process is just going slow

Last edited:
Reactions: DarthKyrie

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Literally billions of state and federal aid floating out there to keep landlords from getting the short shrift:
Yet, rather than getting help from the federal government, many of the landlords are jacking up rent by 2 or 3 time what the renter was previous paying, claiming they have to make up what they lost.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Major fuckup by the Dems especially in Congress. Someone forgot to put that alert in their calendar.

Dems in the House can't make excuses just fix it.
You'd be surprised who's giving resistance to this. A couple congressperson's hubbies are big bankers.
Oh Maxine!

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Also not sure what happened there, but I hope registered Dems act according to their outrage come primary time.

Hope this doesn't end up allowing Rs to take control again, that certainly won't help anything. They would have told the needy to eat a bag of dicks like they usually do, homelessness for entire families by the millions, something something bootstraps. I'd almost expect to see legislation to the effect of broke tenants owe back rent, plus fines and interest.

Just keep in mind this country can't heal if the cult takes over again.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Seriously, WTF? Pelosi is pointing fingers at Biden. Biden’s team says Congress had the ball. Schumer says “oh I thought the CDC had this?” Biden says “SCOTUS tied our hands it’s your job now…oh btw you have 48 hours!”

Meanwhile, Cori Bush is sleeping on the Capitol steps this weekend until lawmakers come back from recess.

There’s no excuse here. None. If we get spanked in the midterms and everyone is wondering why…bookmark this weekend.

Edit: just remembered something about cuss words in titles
theres another thread here with Shit in the title, but it was granted a special exception for reasons that I forget.

ok found it:

The logic was that Donald used it in the news so we gotta quote him accurately.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Homelessness is caused by supply and demand. Demand is caused by quality of life, the better the location the higher they real estate values. This problem can be fixed by ending ownership of private property and housing, the government builds and rents by lotto at affordable rates, 500sq feet per person and hundreds of stories high. The entire population is moved to the coastlines and the center returned to buffalo and Indians.

Nov 17, 2019
You cannot live somewhere and not expect to pay your bills. I get that some people are out of work or on reduced incomes through no direct fault of their own, but they still have to pay their bills. There are/were programs available. If they got any of the various stimulus checks, where did they spend them? Mine would have gone to rent if I was behind. I was smart enough never to rent and always buy below my means. They have other options, including moving in with relatives in some cases, or less expensive units. The landlords and building owners still have bills to pay.

This is more directly on SCOTUS though. They could have left the program intact. Whoever wants to point fingers, needs to point them there.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi and ch33zw1z

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Of course, if the rest of the country didn't buy into lies and bullshit, they might've taken NY/MA's immediate fall into chaos 3/20-5/20 a little more seriously. Masks and social distancing might've keep the economy running enough to keep people afloat longer and more often.

One could make the hindsight 20/20's argument that the Magatarians were so stubborn and willfully ignorant that the economic impact has been much greater

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I'd almost expect to see legislation to the effect of broke tenants owe back rent, plus fines and interest.
The eviction moratoriums did NOT absolve tenants from paying rent (pay attention here, @BoomerD ).

If a tenant didn't/couldn't pay rent for 6 months or a year because of lost wages or whatever their personal reasoning, that debt wasn't magically erased by stimulus and protections. At the end of the moratorium, that back rent was still going to be owed, and this was never a secret.

I agree the Dems dropped the ball on an extension. But a last second surprise, this was not. I think it was just expected and assumed by many that the WH and/or congress would be extending those moratoriums and it didn't happen.

Reactions: kage69

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
You can't blame dems because dems only have a slim majority and you need bigger than slim to get stuff like extensions passed.
And, there are a lot of renters no doubt that are taking advantage of the PAY NO RENT card. My understanding was that their past unpaid rent (the accumulating tally) was still due at some point in the future or maybe I'm wrong? And remember.... there WAS that pandemic, so being a landlord is a risk under any circumstances just as weather puts a farmer at risk for a successful crop. But then again, the government is more than happy to bail farmers out because farmers usually vote republican.

You know? People HERE could offer up a room in their home for an evictee. I mean if one was truly that concerned, there is always craigslist and a little ad to take someone in rather than that person becoming homeless due to eviction. (hint hint)

BTW... This was interesting to watch on youtube:

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
You can't blame dems because dems only have a slim majority and you need bigger than slim to get stuff like extensions passed.
And, there are a lot of renters no doubt that are taking advantage of the PAY NO RENT card. My understanding was that their past unpaid rent (the accumulating tally) was still due at some point in the future or maybe I'm wrong? And remember.... there WAS that pandemic, so being a landlord is a risk under any circumstances just as weather puts a farmer at risk for a successful crop. But then again, the government is more than happy to bail farmers out because farmers usually vote republican.

You know? People HERE could offer up a room in their home for an evictee. I mean if one was truly that concerned, there is always craigslist and a little ad to take someone in rather than that person becoming homeless due to eviction. (hint hint)

BTW... This was interesting to watch on youtube:

Except…Dems control both houses of Congress and could have used a continuing resolution to pass the extension of an existing program (50 votes + Harris is enough).

WH should’ve been working on this with Congress as soon as SCOTUS made their decision on Exec Branch limits.

Nov 8, 2012
Thank the fuck christ, tons of mom and pop folks that are having to pay mortgages while their renters aren't paying. No one here knows or cares because out of site out of mind. Pathetic.

The eviction moratorium was a crock of shit to begin with - at no point was there anything scientific about not evicting people not effecting the pandemic transition.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi
Nov 17, 2019
I blame the SCROTes. They could have left it as it was. But this is the bunch of galoots that didn't even recognize the ADA and made disabled voters in Alabama unable to vote in their cars in a polling place parking lot.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Yet, rather than getting help from the federal government, many of the landlords are jacking up rent by 2 or 3 time what the renter was previous paying, claiming they have to make up what they lost.

This nation needs two things.
Basic Income, and a Federal Home Program. Where the home payment is automatically covered by a 1/3rd takeout from UBI.

People who need roofs over their heads should always come first, over those who only want to exploit them. Put the landlords out of business by offering competition with a ~$400 payment that people don't even have to lift a finger to make. It is within our power, and is financially sustainable. It makes sense to protect people. To act like humans, not monsters. So just do it.

My vote will ever go towards those candidates / political parties most likely to be sympathetic to my cause.

Reactions: Pohemi

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
This nation needs two things.
Basic Income, and a Federal Home Program. Where the home payment is automatically covered by a 1/3rd takeout from UBI.

People who need roofs over their heads should always come first, over those who only want to exploit them. Put the landlords out of business by offering competition with a ~$400 payment that people don't even have to lift a finger to make. It is within our power, and is financially sustainable. It makes sense to protect people. To act like humans, not monsters. So just do it.

My vote will ever go towards those candidates / political parties most likely to be sympathetic to my cause.
How many people are we talking about with this program? Would it include the undocumented and the landlords driven into bankruptcy?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

I agree with this for the most part. If someone CAN work, they SHOULD work. Its a job seekers market right now. Just about every store Ive gone into in the last 6 months have signs saying theyre hiring. Many are $15/hr plus. Just yesterday, I went to my local Home Depot, and their sign said theyre hiring 7 FT positions at $16+/hour. As another poster said, this moratorium was never meant to forgive rent payments. Everyone knew this, and knew they would eventually need to pay it back. I cant imagine if a renter got employment again couldnt work something out with their landlords. Just chip away at it.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Let the moratorium end. Lots of jobs seem to be available for people to work. Really not a good reason for someone not to be able to make a simple rent payment these days.

Reactions: Vic

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Homelessness is caused by supply and demand. Demand is caused by quality of life, the better the location the higher they real estate values. This problem can be fixed by ending ownership of private property and housing, the government builds and rents by lotto at affordable rates, 500sq feet per person and hundreds of stories high. The entire population is moved to the coastlines and the center returned to buffalo and Indians.

Ah, good luck with that. I live at the shore in NJ. That would NEVER happen.