Democrats work on huge Iraq money bill

Atomic Rooster

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2004
San Francisco Chronicle

House Democratic leaders are putting together the largest Iraq war spending bill yet, a measure that is expected to fund the war through the end of the Bush presidency and for nearly six months into the next president's term.

The bill, which could be unveiled as early as this week, signals that Democrats are resigned to the fact they can't change course in Iraq in the final months of President Bush's term. Instead, the party is pinning its hopes of ending the war on winning the White House in November.

Bay Area lawmakers, who represent perhaps the most anti-war part of the country, acknowledge the bill will anger many voters back home.

"It's going to be a tough sell to convince people in my district that funding the war for six months into the new president's term is the way to end the war," said Rep. Lynn Woolsey, D-Petaluma, a leader of the Out of Iraq Caucus who plans to oppose the funding. "It sounds like we are paying for something we don't want."
Ya think?

"They are the biggest hypocrites in the world," said Medea Benjamin, the San Francisco-based founder of the anti-war group CodePink. "They want to paint the Republicans as warmongers and they want to keep funding the war, and they think we don't see through this?"
It took this long for those kooks to figure that one out?

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
See sig. :D

Seriously, does anyone see hope with either of these two parties? One fucks us, the other is handing out condoms and lube.

Dec 30, 2004
So you're saying you wouldn't pay the soldiers?

I'll cut the funding for the soldiers when you cut the entitlements.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
and since neither of you have any power we will do both.

Honestly though I wonder if this is a a move to make sure that funding is there for the 6 months they say it will take to gtfo

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: JSt0rm01
and since neither of you have any power we will do both.

Honestly though I wonder if this is a a move to make sure that funding is there for the 6 months they say it will take to gtfo

It is more funding to buy time to try and find a solution to exit gracefully.

It will take 6 months before they finsh all the hearings and visits to realize that they is not graceful way out of the briarpatch.

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Reaching a reasonable conclusion to the Iraq conflict is most likely not in the cards but we have a responsibility to try.... and that will require money.

Anti-war folks have every right to be upset that the US went into Iraq in the first place. But to say... "no more money, pull out tomorrow" is completely irresponsible and foolish.