Democrats to lift US debt ceiling by $1.8 TRILLION

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yuppiejr

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
Stop the presses, our ongoing defecit spending requires debt increases. Don't pay attention to the real causes, just post cynical comments that add nothing to suggest fixes.

How many times do we need to discuss the problems of right-wing doma to allow the domination of our system by the big monied interests and still get the nonsense posts about the inevitable debt?

If you want to stop the bankrupting of America and the middle cllass, the only way is to put the progressive dems in power, until then the concentrated power will get its way.

http://www.opensecrets.org/index.php

What's truly sad is watching someone so blindly and passionately defend one of the two popular political parties in this country without acknowledging that both political parties and their elected representatives are equally beholden to special interests.

If you want to stop bankrupting America and the middle class shrink the federal government down to essential services only. The whole reason there is lobbying and corrupting influence in Washington is the size and buying power of the federal government... Not only will you quit bankrupting the middle class with direct and indirect taxes and fees (tax costs burred in the cost of goods - taxes always trickle down) but you'll solve the lobbying problem entirely.

RyanPaulShaffer

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
So a $500 billion deficit year in and year out is ok? Your party sucks just as much as the other one. Until you figure that out, you're hopeless.

/facepalm

Good grief! For the THIRD TIME, I will post this!

Note - I am not giving the Republicans a free pass for the irresponsible spending from 2001-2006. I am addressing the lame excuse that this is all "necessary" because of the "mess Bush left us", even though the Democrats had to approve of everything that caused this mess! But man, things are so bad now with the Dems running rampant that "only" a $500 billion deficit looks good!

Reading comprehension is apparently hopeless on P&N...

So, you're saying a $500 billion deficit = $2 TRILLION deficit?! :rolleyes:

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Do you even read crap before you spew your nonsense?

FROM MY POST WHICH YOU EVEN QUOTED -

Good grief, way to selectively pick and choose what you want to see!

Protip: the Dems don't even have a veto proof majority now, since that would require a two-thirds majority! Do you even know what you're blabbing on about? My goodness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veto_override

"In the United States, Congress can override a presidential veto by having a two-thirds majority vote in both the House of Representatives and Senate, thus enacting the bill into law despite the president's veto."

TLDR... Sorry, I don't read all of your rambling rants. I'm well aware they don't have a 2/3 override now or then. IOW, all GWB had to do was veto anything he didn't like. For example - federal funds for stem cell research. But he didn't. Instead he and the rest of *both* parties spent like drunken sailors. Now many of the same (R)'s are suddenly fiscal conservatives? Bullshit. They don't care money is being spent - they only care they aren't getting to direct the spending anymore. Hypocrites.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The Bush Legacy lives on. Not a cheap shot, just the facts. If Bush was Fiscally responsible, the Debt ceiling would now bbe Reduced instead of Increased.

The righties tend to forget that Bush never included the 2 wars we were having in the budget.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
Man talk about selective memory.

Hey deficits don't matter...amirite amirite?

And hey, if it was good enough for Reagan, then its good enough for anyone.

Face it America, your political system sucks.

Dec 10, 2005
Man talk about selective memory.

Hey deficits don't matter...amirite amirite?

And hey, if it was good enough for Reagan, then its good enough for anyone.

Face it America, your political system sucks.

Of course it sucks, it's just that it sucks a lot less than any other system out there.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
Sorry I should have clarified.

I think the way the Government is set up in the Constitution is brilliant.

I think the political system of 2 parties blows.

Until you change that, good luck.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006

What's truly sad is watching someone so blindly and passionately defend one of the two popular political parties in this country without acknowledging that both political parties and their elected representatives are equally beholden to special interests.

If you want to stop bankrupting America and the middle class shrink the federal government down to essential services only. The whole reason there is lobbying and corrupting influence in Washington is the size and buying power of the federal government... Not only will you quit bankrupting the middle class with direct and indirect taxes and fees (tax costs burred in the cost of goods - taxes always trickle down) but you'll solve the lobbying problem entirely.

Winner!

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
This topic is absurd as are the people in it.

Here are have Dems and Reps blaming each other, pointing fingers, when the leaders of both parties have continually raised the debt ceiling. If you actually cared you would first rip your own people. For even if you got rid of the other side, yours would still continue this same policy.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Stop the presses, our ongoing defecit spending requires debt increases. Don't pay attention to the real causes, just post cynical comments that add nothing to suggest fixes.

How many times do we need to discuss the problems of right-wing doma to allow the domination of our system by the big monied interests and still get the nonsense posts about the inevitable debt?

If you want to stop the bankrupting of America and the middle cllass, the only way is to put the progressive dems in power, until then the concentrated power will get its way.

Progressive Dems would be even worse. They would spend every bit as much and stifle private business. On top of that the spending would be aimed right at those who do the least, thereby effectively promoting the lifestyles of the worst of society.

Sounds like a great idea.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Did the Dems have a veto proof majority? Didn't think so. Both the president and congress are responsible but you're blaming only the Dems. As usual. Hypocrisy.
Did the Dems at any time since they regained control force a veto of the spending?

If they did not, then they are responsible for the mess since they gained control.

lorinser75

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2003
C'mon people...please STOP arguing which party is better...you know what..at the end of the day you'll see that both parties, DEMS or REP made mistakes, and instead of focusing on how to get the country back on track, they (and even us) still argue and bicker about almost anything, blaming BUSH, DEMS congress, REP..etc..etc.

Of course, each party almost always finishes the argument with "..This is what the American People want..or...Best for American people"...the fact is they, DEMS OR REP, DON'T KNOW what the american people want, and they DON'T KNOW & DON'T CARE about the suffering that some American people are now experiencing...unemployement, putting food on the table, keeping the roof over their head, or just trying to have a nice, warm Christmas holiday with almost nothing.

So please guys, I'm sure some of you think that Progressive DEMS are the way to go, and some of you think that CONSERVATIVE REP is the answer, but you know what.. those are just a POLITICAL Party, it really means nothing in the real world.

Lets' have an EDUCATED, CONSTRUCTIVE, UNBIASED point of view, instead turning this forum to another CAPITOL HILL...

Happy holidays Guys, and God Bless this country and our troops

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
It might not be a moon base, but tonight I learned that we had a serious effort in the late 50's to set off a nuclear explosion on the moon visible to Earth while it was over the USSR to intimidate them.

been reading cracked, eh?

RyanPaulShaffer

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
I never gave the Republicans a pass on their irresponsible spending; in fact, I called them out on it in my initial post (a fact which has been conveniently been ignored by many). However, the Democrats are spending so much money it makes the Republican deficits look like chump change, all the while whining about the irresponsibility of the Republicans and especially Bush. I was just pointing out the blatant hypocrisy of the Democrats pointing the finger across the aisle when they are doing the exact same thing only far, far worse.

And the BUT BUSH! excuse was tired back at the beginning of the year, and it sure looks ridiculous to keep trying to pass the buck now when the Democrats aren't doing any better. Especially since the Democrats have full autonomy now and have had Congress since 2006, hence, the title of the thread is correct: the Democrats are the ones driving this crazy train right now, so this is all on their heads.

That GAO chart is absolutely frightening, and it's going to be out-of-control entitlement spending (the Democrat calling card) and massive debt that is going to crush us unless we drastically change things...now.

Last edited:

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Did the Dems at any time since they regained control force a veto of the spending?

If they did not, then they are responsible for the mess since they gained control.

Absolutely not but remember they aren't the party of fiscal conservatism. The dems are 'tax and spend liberals'. :awe:

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
/facepalm

Good grief! For the THIRD TIME, I will post this!

Reading comprehension is apparently hopeless on P&N...

So, you're saying a $500 billion deficit = $2 TRILLION deficit?! :rolleyes:
Perhaps it's your writing that needs some work. All I see are hollow statements saying your guys aren't as bad until this most recent post, in which you state you're just trying to point out hypocrisy in the Dems. The problem with this argument is that I don't think the D's ever pretended to care about fiscal conservatism.

RyanPaulShaffer

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Perhaps it's your writing that needs some work. All I see are hollow statements saying your guys aren't as bad until this most recent post, in which you state you're just trying to point out hypocrisy in the Dems. The problem with this argument is that I don't think the D's ever pretended to care about fiscal conservatism.

The title of this thread is "Democrats to lift US debt ceiling by $1.8 TRILLION", and many were whining "BUT BUSH...!" and "BUT THE REPUGS!" when it is the Democrats who are now spending more than the Republicans could ever imagine, since they've controlled both houses of Congress since 2006 and now have the White House as well.

I clearly stated in my initial post that it was blatantly hypocritical of liberals/Democrats to keep pointing the finger at Bush when they are doing far, far worse. I could repost it and explain it fifty times and people would still fail at reading comprehension. They rail against the irresponsible spending of Republicans yet completely fail to even attempt to do what they are criticizing the other side on that matter! "If you talk the talk, then walk the walk!" Yes, I realize that the same Republicans who are fiscal conservatives now did not practice what they preached from 2001-2006, but my goodness. Look at the numbers! Compared to the current spending pattern of the Democrats, the Republicans of the Bush years WERE fiscally conservative. TWO TRILLION DOLLARS. The D deficit is going to be almost FOUR TIMES the size of any Bush/Republican deficit.

This is precisely why I stopped taking P&N seriously a long time ago. That and facts have no sway here...I could post charts and numbers until I was blue in the face and the liberals would still scream "BUT BUSH...!" and the "centrists" would just say "lol like the repugs are any better".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:USDebt.png

Look at the 90's...why didn't our debt go down under Clinton's watch? BUT BUSH, BUT THE REPUGS, HYPOCRITE! right? :rolleyes:

Who cares if the Democrats didn't pretend to care about fiscal conservatism or not? This spending is going to ruin us...who freaking cares what they campaigned for?! It's not about partisan politics, it's about the future of the country. This current path of out-of-control spending is disastrous, and it's gotten much, much worse under total Democrat watch, and it will get worse when we have the second stimulus, government health care and cap and trade!

I give up...it's a lost cause. Keep pointing the finger at the Congress that changed hands in 2006 or the president who hasn't been in office for almost a year instead of holding the people who are currently in power accountable for their own actions. D:

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

What's sad is tyour lack of reading comprehension that I did not defend the whole party. only the minority of progressives in it, and yiou not having anything useful to say about that minority who ae not as corrupt.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

So who are you guys thinking about putting up to run against Obama in 2012?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Progressive Dems would be even worse. They would spend every bit as much and stifle private business. On top of that the spending would be aimed right at those who do the least, thereby effectively promoting the lifestyles of the worst of society.

Sounds like a great idea.

The voice of ignorance speaks of which he knows nothing like a parrot.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
The title of this thread is "Democrats to lift US debt ceiling by $1.8 TRILLION", and many were whining "BUT BUSH...!" and "BUT THE REPUGS!" when it is the Democrats who are now spending more than the Republicans could ever imagine, since they've controlled both houses of Congress since 2006 and now have the White House as well.

I clearly stated in my initial post that it was blatantly hypocritical of liberals/Democrats to keep pointing the finger at Bush when they are doing far, far worse. I could repost it and explain it fifty times and people would still fail at reading comprehension. They rail against the irresponsible spending of Republicans yet completely fail to even attempt to do what they are criticizing the other side on that matter! "If you talk the talk, then walk the walk!" Yes, I realize that the same Republicans who are fiscal conservatives now did not practice what they preached from 2001-2006, but my goodness. Look at the numbers! Compared to the current spending pattern of the Democrats, the Republicans of the Bush years WERE fiscally conservative. TWO TRILLION DOLLARS. The D deficit is going to be almost FOUR TIMES the size of any Bush/Republican deficit.

This is precisely why I stopped taking P&N seriously a long time ago. That and facts have no sway here...I could post charts and numbers until I was blue in the face and the liberals would still scream "BUT BUSH...!" and the "centrists" would just say "lol like the repugs are any better".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:USDebt.png

Look at the 90's...why didn't our debt go down under Clinton's watch? BUT BUSH, BUT THE REPUGS, HYPOCRITE! right? :rolleyes:

Who cares if the Democrats didn't pretend to care about fiscal conservatism or not? This spending is going to ruin us...who freaking cares what they campaigned for?! It's not about partisan politics, it's about the future of the country. This current path of out-of-control spending is disastrous, and it's gotten much, much worse under total Democrat watch, and it will get worse when we have the second stimulus, government health care and cap and trade!

I give up...it's a lost cause. Keep pointing the finger at the Congress that changed hands in 2006 or the president who hasn't been in office for almost a year instead of holding the people who are currently in power accountable for their own actions. D:
Really, is that what you said in your first post? My screen shows the following:
Except it is still the same old (D) Congress, because the Democrats took control of both houses in 2006.
Until you get it through your head that the R's were simply paving the way to runaway deficits, there is no hope for you. If the R's were in power now, they would be doing the same thing. Agree or disagree?