Democrats Scold AARP Over Medicare Bill - **AARP members try in vain to burn their cards!**

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: SuperTool
not capping costs = black hole for taxpayer money. What's to stop drug companies from jacking up prices if they know the government will pay it? This will not only explode the budget, it'll make drugs less affordable for those without coverage.

That is the entire problem with every entitlement program that exists.

My point is you either have entitlement with price caps, or no entitlement and no price caps, but if you have entitlement and no pricecaps, might as well bend over and wait for what's coming.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
capping costs==rationing.

Who gets to decide who gets the benefits.
But for some odd reason when private industry decides to cap costs (to raise profits) . . . the rationing of care gets little attention from the pro-business cabal.

price controls have always been so effective in the past
Actually the tightening noose of provider price controls in Medicare and Medicaid have been highly effective at limiting care to said recipients.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: miguel
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
That dirty AARP.

Why do you say that?

CkG

Turning on their host, several of the Democratic presidential candidates scolded the powerful AARP for endorsing a Republican-backed Medicare prescription drug bill.

I wanted to get in on the action.

So you don't like the AARP? Or just don't like the fact that they support a Republican bill?

CkG

I think he just wants to post.
Oh man that was harsh.
----------
Caddy, I just wanted to scold the AARP too. I don't know nutten about the issue. If some Democrats are gonna scold them, I wanted to too.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Oh man that was harsh.
----------
Caddy, I just wanted to scold the AARP too. I don't know nutten about the issue. If some Democrats are gonna scold them, I wanted to too.

Well, I'm not so sure the AARP should be the only one scolded;)

A few late changes and more political positioning.

<snip>
Some Republicans chuckled at the reversal of roles, recalling that Democrats only recently held AARP in the highest esteem. "Democrats have been down the street burning their AARP cards this afternoon," Rep. Mark Foley, R-Fla., said. "A month ago, I was told by my colleagues on the other side that AARP was the gold standard of senior lobbying organizations."
</snip>
:p

CkG

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
Originally posted by: miguel
I think he just wants to post.
Oh man that was harsh.
----------

:) :beer:

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Angry and wet, AARP members try to burn cards
<snip>
Members of the AARP, the influential lobbying group for the elderly, tried in vain to burn their membership cards Wednesday to protest against the group's endorsement of the Republican Medicare bill.

A few dozen people in their 50s and 60s gathered in the rain outside the AARP's headquarters in downtown Washington and tried to burn their cards, but cut them up instead when the plastic coating would not catch fire.
</snip>

Buahahaha :D Their cards wouldn't burn:p hehe silly old people;)

CkG

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
I sent them a nasty email and they responded with a form letter. The site was very slow. You know they are getting hammered.

-Robert

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: chess9
I sent them a nasty email and they responded with a form letter. The site was very slow. You know they are getting hammered.

-Robert

"Them" being AARP? Did you burn your card...Uh I mean cut it up too? ;)

CkG

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
Originally posted by: chess9

-Robert

What would you send the AARP a nasty email about?