Dell XPS 13 with a I5 6200 or I7 6500 and SSD upgradability

davidst99

Apr 20, 2007
Hi, I currently am looking at buying a Dell XPS 13 but not sure if I should get the I5 6200U or the I7 6500U. I was originally going to buy a XPS 15 that has a real quad core CPU and dedicated GPU but I already have a pretty high end desktop and would rather like to have the smaller lightweight ultra book.

I currently have a 2011 Mac Air and usually have been using just been using that to remote desktop into my desktop. However sometimes I'm unable to do that. I'm a software developer and need to run Visual Studios, Eclipse and sometimes a VM on my laptop if I'm unable to RDP to my desktop. Will the 2015 XPS 13 be able to handle this? If not I might be stuck going with the XPS 15. I do not plan to play any games on either laptop.

Also, can the SSD on the XPS 13 be upgraded?

Thanks.

David

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Hi, I currently am looking at buying a Dell XPS 13 but not sure if I should get the I5 6200U or the I7 6500U. I was originally going to buy a XPS 15 that has a real quad core CPU and dedicated GPU but I already have a pretty high end desktop and would rather like to have the smaller lightweight ultra book.

I currently have a 2011 Mac Air and usually have been using just been using that to remote desktop into my desktop. However sometimes I'm unable to do that. I'm a software developer and need to run Visual Studios, Eclipse and sometimes a VM on my laptop if I'm unable to RDP to my desktop. Will the 2015 XPS 13 be able to handle this? If not I might be stuck going with the XPS 15. I do not plan to play any games on either laptop.

Also, can the SSD on the XPS 13 be upgraded?

Thanks.

David

You should be fine with the XPS 13 if you're going to crunch some code, unless it's particularly time-sensitive. The Core i7 model would be a good compromise if you really do need extra performance, but it's not absolutely necessary.

I'd try to stick to the 1080p model due to Windows apps' historically poor scaling with very high-resolution displays. You can customize it to get a larger SSD if necessary.

davidst99

Apr 20, 2007
Commoaus, thanks for the reply. I would like to get the non touch screen because the gloss on the touch screen seems too much. Unfortunately I don't think you can get a I7 on the non touch screen. Thanks.

David