Dell XPS 13 Broadwell Thread

Mar 10, 2006
Hi all

The TSMC 10nm thread was getting a bit derailed with Dell XPS 13/Broadwell discussions, so I figured I'd start a separate thread to do Q&A (ask me whatever you want about the system).

What kind of battery life are you getting out of it?

Yeah, I'd like to know that too. Also, is it quiet in general? Does the fan always remain shut off during low performance work, such as web surfing / emailing / watching movies?

I'm considering this or a similar one myself, that's why I wonder. If it's too noisy, I'll optionally consider a Broadwell M Core Y based if it's not painfully slow.

I have been able to go a full day without needing to recharge, and this is at medium-ish brightness and relatively heavy workload (music in the background + ridiculous amount of tabs + word processing + Excel). Obviously I'm not using it continuously for the full day, but it definitely survives a full workday under these conditions.

I realize this is pretty subjective, so I'll try to log my usage to get an accurate battery life number.

Performance I would say is good for just about everything I do with it. Under extreme stress, it can start to feel a bit sluggish (and my system is configured with 8GB of RAM), though. This is where having a 28W chip or even a quad core system would help immensely. I realize this is also subjective, but under very heavy usage, my Core i3 4130 system with 8GB of memory and an SSD can "feel" a lot faster.

In terms of noise/heat, most of the time it is quiet/silent, but the fan becomes noticable but not irritating (like my old Sony Vaio Pro 13) under the heaviest strain.

All in all, I would say it is a great general purpose laptop. I haven't done too much gaming on it, and I doubt it is a gaming monster, but if there are any games you'd like me to test for playability let me know and I'll run it if I have it.

The processor is a Core i5-5200U, and I'm also willing to run any benchmarks that anyone wants (provided that I have access to it).

Regarding Core M...I don't think I'd want a general purpose laptop with Core M level performance. I definitely want all the performance I can get in a sleek form factor and the XPS 13 is small and sleek enough for me. Anything less and I don't think I'd be happy with it.

Last edited:

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
In terms of noise/heat, most of the time it is quiet/silent, but the fan becomes noticable but not irritating (like my old Sony Vaio Pro 13) under the heaviest strain.

Thanks for sharing the experiences and impressions! When you say it is quiet/silent most of the time, does than mean the fan is always completely shut off during light performance use (web surfing and similar)? Or is it on, but at low RPM so it's not audible anyway?

Also, I suppose it feels very light and small as well for a 13.3" laptop, right? I think one key selling points for it is that the bezel is very thin around the display. So the physical size is very small for it's screen size.

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
The processor is a Core i5-5200U, and I'm also willing to run any benchmarks that anyone wants (provided that I have access to it).

I'd like to see Cinebench run on it for single core & multicore.

Also, how much does your laptop weigh?

Mar 10, 2006
Thanks for sharing the experiences and impressions! When you say it is quiet/silent most of the time, does than mean the fan is always completely shut off during light performance use (web surfing and similar)? Or is it on, but at low RPM so it's not audible anyway?

Also, I suppose it feels very light and small as well for a 13.3" laptop, right? I think one key selling points for it is that the bezel is very thin around the display. So the physical size is very small for it's screen size.

You're welcome. I think the fan is on but barely audible (to answer your question I had to actually put the system up against my ear to hear if anything were spinning) in less intensive use.

It definitely feels light and small, but at the same time you do get the 13" screen which I think is awesome.

Dell did a good job with this system.

Mar 10, 2006
I'd like to see Cinebench run on it for single core & multicore.

Also, how much does your laptop weigh?

Downloading Cinebench R15 now. As far as weight goes, Engadget says 2.6lbs for non-touch, 2.8lbs for touch.

Yet another reason to go with the 1080P model :)

Mar 10, 2006
OK: So ran CB R15...got 257 for the "CPU", and then for "CPU (Single Core)" got 109 cb. This was on battery, not plugged in.

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
Downloading Cinebench R15 now. As far as weight goes, Engadget says 2.6lbs for non-touch, 2.8lbs for touch.

Yet another reason to go with the 1080P model :)

Sorry I should have specified the Cinebench Release number.

Could you do it on Cinebench R11.5 please. :)

bullzz

Jul 12, 2013
read a couple of reviews on this system and looks like a fantastic PC. only gripe i have is unavailability of HD6000

ninaholic37

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2012
Hi! Can you post your CPUMark99 score? I have lots of old single-thread DOS games (like Doom II :awe: ) and don't think there are any Broadwells in the list yet.

jdubs03

Oct 1, 2013
can you do:

geekbench
7-zip
winrar
pcmark 8
3d mark
kraken
...anything else you think of.

Pheesh

May 31, 2012
If you're trying to test out the CPU you may want it plugged in so it's not in power saving mode.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
If you're trying to test out the CPU you may want it plugged in so it's not in power saving mode.

If the point in having a Core M and the Dell form factor is to have a laptop that doesn't need to be plugged in all day, the performance when it is plugged in is hardly an interesting data point. You want to know what kind of performance you can expect while running on battery for the day.

I don't care what kind of performance my iPad2air gets when plugged in and placed in my freezer to run a benchmark. I want to know how it does in ambient environment conditions with no power cord attached.

If I owned or was considering owning a Dell XPS 13 Broadwell then I'd want to know how it performs when being used in the capacity that it was created to serve.

ninaholic37

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2012
I usually keep my laptop plugged in. Even at schools there are power outlets everywhere ;)

ninaholic37

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2012
edit: two other opinions that exist but not worth posting lol

Last edited:

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
Then there is no need for a super power-sipping laptop that can last all day on battery.

I don't care if it last 3 days, if I am working in an office and the model supports it the battery is at 50-75% charge in the laptop bag and the machine is running from the wall outlet. That way in 18 months time when your battery is shot mine is still giving 100% life when I need it.

podspi

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2011
Or we could just test both use-cases. Both situations are interesting to me.

That being said, is there any real difference in performance if you are running in balanced mode? I know in power saving mode the cpu will often be throttled, but in my experience there is no performance loss running off of battery when in the performance or balanced profile.

Edit: And OP, I am jealous. Do want. That or one of the X1 Carbons.