Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA vs. U2410?

geepondy

Jan 19, 2007
Both being IPS panels, at less then half the price, for my budget I think I live with the smaller size and resolution of the 2209WA but am I giving up anything in the viewing experience?

Winterpool

Mar 1, 2008
Well, you give up a wider colour gamut, though some would say that's a pro, not a con (if you don't do colour work for print photography, you're probably better off with the sRGB gamut of the 2209WA).

I believe the 2209WA has only basic computer video inputs (VGA and DVI) whereas the Dell U2410 also boasts HDMI and DisplayPort.

You may also want to consider the NEC EA231WMi, which is an sRGB 1920x1080 monitor; it falls between the two Dells in size (23 inches) and price (I've seen it as low as $280ish, though generally it's slightly above $300).

geepondy

Jan 19, 2007
Thanks. I so wish I could see an IPS monitor in person. I am so afraid I will be disappointed if it's lacking in the contrast and color "punch" that my MVA Viewsonic Vp30b offers. None of the TN monitors that I've seen can touch it. True it has color shifting issues when not viewing dead on but I don't think it's any worse then the angled view presented by a TN.

Winterpool

Mar 1, 2008
Unfortunately the only place most people can see an IPS panel in person is the Apple Store, and their displays are glossy (iMac, Apple Cinema). You could try looking at Panasonic LCD televisions, although those are obviously much bigger and are made by IPS Alpha (not LG.Display, which manufactures 'computer' IPS panels). But it might give you an idea of IPS v M/PVA (the other brand-name TVs in a shop will probably be PVA panel).

If you're used to M/PVA, you should know that IPS panels generally offer less impressive blacks and weaker contrast. Colours won't seem as bright, though they may be more 'accurate' (true to the intended image). I believe one of the reasons Apple glossifies their displays is to improve apparent colour brightness and contrast.

Some punters also find the anti-glare coating (which can appear like a speckling or dust on the surface) very obtrusive. Anecdotal evidence suggests the coatings are getting more aggressive on recent Dells. The coating on my Dell 2209WA doesn't much bother me, but I can certainly see it if I look for it.

Gnyff

Apr 8, 2008
Excellent that Dell have not totally rolled over to the "max-glare" trend and keep at least some matte, anti-reflection panels (like in the U2410). It might add a slight pixel diffusion - but that's a small price to pay to minimize reflections in real-life use! I seriously hope that the future U2710 (and possibly U30xx) will be a non-glare screen... :-D

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
I'd split the difference with the NEC. 1080p is more useful than 16*10, plus it has DisplayPort for Eyefinity fun.

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
I'd rather play in a dark room and have the glossy screen. I play in a dark room anyway.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Wow, no panel lottery, guaranteed IPS by Dell?

Still happy with my 2407 PVA, oh well.

Winterpool

Mar 1, 2008
Wow, no panel lottery, guaranteed IPS by Dell?

Still happy with my 2407 PVA, oh well.

So far. Dell's product pages in a number of countries (not sure about US) actually list IPS panel as one of the specs of the U2410.

There is a panel lottery at play, however, in the sense that the quality distribution of LG.Display IPS panels is horribly variable, at least in this price range (the thousand-dollar NEC LCD2490WUXis on the other hand...).

tjaisv

Banned
Oct 7, 2002
The Dell U2410 and the NEC EA231WM suffer from color uniformity issues. There are tons of complaints about this on the Dell forums and others.

Will Robinson

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2009
The Dell 2410 is listed in the LCD thread as the "display du Jour'.
I bought one on the strength of that but it's a nasty ass mess of wrong tinting and input lag.:twisted:
Given its been hyped so much....does anyone here that owns one still think it deserves the Number 1 spot as most desirable display?