Dell U3415W 21:9 with Nintendo Switch?

ng4330

Dec 18, 2015
Short version: My Nintendo Switch isn't working with my Dell U3415W monitor. Does anyone know why and/or how to correct this?

Here are the details:
I have a Dell U3415W 21:9 3440x1440 monitor that I use for my PC via Display Port (PC side) to Mini Display Port (Monitor side) and PS4 via HDMI. I recently bought a Nintendo Switch and want to use it with my monitor. I unplugged the HDMI cable from my PS4 and connected the Switch dock to the monitor with it. All I got was a black screen. From time to time, seemingly randomly, the Switch display would flash up on the screen for 1-2 seconds at a time, then back to black. The monitor has speakers and I could hear the Switch through them the whole time, even while the screen was black. I did notice that while the screen was black, the monitor's capacitive buttons did not respond when I tried using them to turn the monitor on and off and access the monitor's option menu. During the 1-2 seconds when the Switch was displayed, the buttons would function. I tried changing the aspect ratio on the monitor to all 4 options (21:9, 16:9, 1 to 1, Auto) with the same results. I tried using the HDMI cable that came with the Switch with the same results. I unplugged and replugged everything, confirmed everything was properly seated. I turned the monitor off and on. I know the dock works correctly as I've had it hooked up and running properly on my 55" 1080p television. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this working?

ng4330

Dec 18, 2015
Manually tell the switch what video settings to use?

I had changed the Switch's TV resolution from Auto to 1080p during my original attempts. When I read your suggestion, I went back and tried 480p and 720p. Both of those resolutions show up on the monitor. I tried 1080p and Auto again and neither worked. So using the options on my monitor, I can play the Switch on the monitor either in 1 to 1 mode in a 720p sized window, or in 16:9 mode with a 720p image stretched to 2560x1440. I guess this has something to do with the Switch displaying games at 720p while in handheld mode? Maybe the upscaling isn't compatible with this monitor? I'm just making guesses at this point. Anyways at least I've got it working to some degree. Thanks to both of you for your input!