Dell sending some jobs back to U.S.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
In a surprising about-face, Dell Inc. is moving some technical-support jobs back from India to the United States.

The new U.S. employees will provide phone-based tech support for business customers, which account for the bulk of Dell's revenue. Dell employees in India have been answering some of those calls. Calls from individual customers will still be routed to call centers in India.

"We felt a little noise and angst from our customers, and we decided to make some changes," said Gary Cotshott, vice president of Dell's services division. "Sometimes, we move a little too far, too fast
Text

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
I wonder if one of the Rovian forces has been whispering in Michael Dell's ear.

I think customers are demanding tech support that can speak better english. I have heard numerous complaints about their support since they moved support to india.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: charrison

I think customers are demanding tech support that can speak better english. I have heard numerous complaints about their support since they moved support to india.
Me too. I think that may be the ultimate solution to American companies sending jobs off-shore. If enough Americans push back, companies will decide that higher wages here are less expensive than lost sales. Unfortunately, I think things will have to get much worse before Americans wake up to the problem.

I read an article this week that projects about 55% of IT jobs will be sent off-shore in the next five years. Even if they are way off, the economic impact would be huge.

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
Originally posted by: Bowfinger

Me too. I think that may be the ultimate solution to American companies sending jobs off-shore. If enough Americans push back, companies will decide that higher wages here are less expensive than lost sales. Unfortunately, I think things will have to get much worse before Americans wake up to the problem.

I read an article this week that projects about 55% of IT jobs will be sent off-shore in the next five years. Even if they are way off, the economic impact would be huge.

damn, thats a lot of IT jobs. how depressing.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
More Key points from article:

The computer company's quiet reversal comes as many U.S. companies are rushing to outsource operations to India and other low-cost developing nations. It suggests that the savings achieved by moving jobs overseas may sometimes be outweighed by the cost of antagonizing loyal customers.
---------------------------------
Wonder why so quiet? Thank you Charrison for posting this article.

Some companies have seen a small but definite decline in customer satisfaction. Yet executives have concluded that the cost savings are worth it, said Steve Lane, an analyst with the Aberdeen Group research firm.
----------------------------------
Bullcrap, Never heard that the Customer comes first have they....

It can't afford to antagonize its most profitable customers with poor support for PCs.

"Our corporate customers have come to expect a certain level of expertise," Cotshott said.
-----------------------------------
I've never been a fan of the big propietary Computer makers but now I make sure NEVER to recommend a DELL system to anyone.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Yeah, this move has been underway for a couple of months now. From my understanding, Spherion has been filling the positions locally for Dell.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
In a surprising about-face, Dell Inc. is moving some technical-support jobs back from India to the United States.

The new U.S. employees will provide phone-based tech support for business customers, which account for the bulk of Dell's revenue. Dell employees in India have been answering some of those calls. Calls from individual customers will still be routed to call centers in India.

"We felt a little noise and angst from our customers, and we decided to make some changes," said Gary Cotshott, vice president of Dell's services division. "Sometimes, we move a little too far, too fast
Text

A little to far, too fast? Nice way of saying yeah we are short sighted, greedy, profit driven and disregard customer satisfaction.

The problem with all the outsourcing is that cost saving is easily measured and customer satisfaction on the other hand is very hard to measure. Many company is going to be seduced by the quick saving with outsourcing and won't notice the damage until it is too late. It takes people with vision and backbone in the corporate world to stand up to this outsoucing trend and realize cost saving is not everything to a company, and unfortunately there are very few of those people.

xyyz

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000

i think one of the core reasons was the complaints that were received for the support persons in india. i recall someone telling me that the service wasn't on par with what they were used to with dell's american-based support.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
i think one of the core reasons was the complaints that were received for the support persons in india. i recall someone telling me that the service wasn't on par with what they were used to with dell's american-based support.

The problem is you usually can't understand what the person is trying to say to you. In addition, as an old article pointed out, Americans tend to be a bit more blunt, which sure helps figuring out a problem, since most of us will just say "stop, you're doing it completely wrong; do it this way....".

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
More Key points from article:

The computer company's quiet reversal comes as many U.S. companies are rushing to outsource operations to India and other low-cost developing nations. It suggests that the savings achieved by moving jobs overseas may sometimes be outweighed by the cost of antagonizing loyal customers.
---------------------------------
Wonder why so quiet? Thank you Charrison for posting this article.

Some companies have seen a small but definite decline in customer satisfaction. Yet executives have concluded that the cost savings are worth it, said Steve Lane, an analyst with the Aberdeen Group research firm.
----------------------------------
Bullcrap, Never heard that the Customer comes first have they....

It can't afford to antagonize its most profitable customers with poor support for PCs.

"Our corporate customers have come to expect a certain level of expertise," Cotshott said.
-----------------------------------
I've never been a fan of the big propietary Computer makers but now I make sure NEVER to recommend a DELL system to anyone.

You bitch when jobs leave, then you bitch when they come back. Make up your mind for once.

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
Cnet survey of companies that outsourced:
80% are dissatisfied with the quality
20% lose money instead of save

i think dell should have all their phone reps answer with "d00d!!"