Dell Optiplex 960 RAM Error Message

tomhanser

Sep 1, 2008
Everything was fine with this Optiplex 960 I bought surplused, in perfect condition. I installed Windows 7, ran updates and away we go.

I hit the power button this morning and before Windows even starts, I get this error message:

"MIXING ECC AND NON-ECC DIMMs IS NOT SUPPORTED BY THIS PLATFORM."

System lights ONE and THREE are on, indicating a memory problem.

But nothing was changed, system or memory-wise. I've never even messed with the RAM since I bought it last week.

All four DIMM slots are filled, with a total of 4GB. These are Samsung 1GB sticks, all identical.

I was planning on adding more RAM, anyway, but maybe I should pull all four sticks out and start with two matching pairs? What happened here?

I can't even run the Dell diagnostics to test the memory - this error message halts the system. What if I pulled the CMOS battery? Would that clear this error message?

Anyone?

Thank you.

tomhanser

Sep 1, 2008
Update: I've tried different RAM sticks from another Dell machine, and I still get the same error message.

How do I go about clearing this error message?

Thank you.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm guessing that the CMOS battery is old and failing, and it corrupted the CMOS settings. Try replacing the battery, and doing a CMOS settings clear (usually a jumper on the motherboard). If there is no jumper, then remove the battery and unplug the PC and wait 24hr.

tomhanser

Sep 1, 2008
Fixed it.

I reset the CMOS and I can now boot normally. Sheesh! What a headache.

Thanks, everyone.