Dell Optiplex 740 Graphics Card Problem

Mazhar_Uchiha

Jul 13, 2012
Hey Guys,

I am buying a Dell Optiplex 740(used) mini tower with AMD Athlon X2 5000+, the main reason is that I want to play the latest games.Thats why I am thinking of buying a HD 5770 or a GTS 450.

Well basically I need to know is, would the HD 5770 or GTS 450(full size) fit in the system? Also can u tell me would the system support pci express 2.1 or 3.0 cards? I know that they are backward compatible but Im asking because Ive already had a very bad experience with a HD 5550.I bought it thinking that it would be backward compatible but it didnt work(I had a lenovo i945 system with Pentium D) ,although theorotically it should work.It didnt work even when I upgraded the BIOS.

So these are the two problems Im stuck with. Please can someone help?

Thanks in Advance :)

Edit:
Processor: AMD Athlon X2 5000+
Ram: 2 GB DDR2
Power Supply : 450 watt

Last edited:

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
well you wont be playing many of the latest games smoothly with a 5000 X2. that cpu is barely going to meet minimum requirements for most newer games and in some cases will not even do that. any card capable of running decent settings will not not always be able to do so as many settings impact the cpu too.

also you did not list how much system ram that Dell has and what the power supply is.

Mazhar_Uchiha

Jul 13, 2012
well it doesnt matter if I wont be able to run all of them, but I know most of them will work(Even on the minimum settings). actually I dont have a choice, where I live , its very difficult to find a good CPU, and those which are available are really expensive.

Mazhar_Uchiha

Jul 13, 2012
Actually I havent got it yet, Im thinking of buying it, and unfortunately its not cheap, actually considering its age it is actually expensive here, the only cheap systems available here are pentium 4s. that truly sucks man..

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
bump that ram up to 4GB, grab a 5750 or so, hell even a 5670 is probably about the right match to that CPU.

It won't be great, but it will be workable for many titles, just research them before buying. BF3 and Max Payne 3 for example would be a no go even on low. Diablo 3, MW3, and many others will work decently on medium settings though, not to mention the heaps of classic titles out there that are still very much worth playing if you haven't gone through them yet.

Cliffs : If that's your only real option whereever you're living, it's passable, but won't play *all* of the latest titles, even on low. An Xbox360 or PS3 are actually better budget gaming boxes at this point for low budget, and I'm FAR from a console fan.

Mazhar_Uchiha

Jul 13, 2012
bump that ram up to 4GB, grab a 5750 or so, hell even a 5670 is probably about the right match to that CPU.

Thanks Arkaign, but the problem is still there, even if I buy a 5750 I dont know if it would work or even fit in the system. The Truth is that I cant see the system myself till I actually have it, because someone else is buying it for me. I hope that u advised me the graphic cards keeping in mind my main problem.