Dell OptiPlex 7040 SFF Desktop Computer : Good for linux and torrent server?

Sonokamome

Nov 28, 2006
I'm in the market for a refurbished/renewed Dell Optiplex SFF desktop computer. I just need it for Linux so I can run SAMBA, MyNode, and to seed/upload torrents 24/7 among other self-hosted software.
The only question I have for all of you is that can you run torrents on these kinds of machines (especially Dell's SFF form factor) without the fan kicking in at a high spin to cause noise?

I just need to know so I can figure out if it'll be worth the while to buy such a pre-built refurb to start.

An example of what I'm looking for and considering getting:

I would like to point out that I have been using for some time an Intel NUC for a Linux server and although it's great but when it comes to torrenting, it's just too much for the system and it causes for
temperatures to spike and the CPU heatsink fan to start cranking up. So I want to know, again, if the Dell Optiplex SFF desktop will not do that. Thank you.

hemedans

Jan 31, 2015
Am not familiar with your use case but minimum I will choose 8th gen, there is huge perfomance gape between 7th and 8th gen intel Cpu. Also if you don't like Noise choose those 35W cpu, from Intel side they have T like i7 8700T and Amd side they have GE like Ryzen 5 4650GE.

Tiny PC with Ryzen 5 4650GE or 5650GE will be twice as fast compare to i7 6700 and will use less power. You also get much better IGP Vega 7 compare to intel HD 530. For same price you can get 4650GE in ebay.

Sonokamome

Nov 28, 2006
I'm not familar with your use case
I guess I was writing implicatorily but I will be needing it for a Linux home server to run
- SAMBA
- MyNode (Bitcoin/Lightening Network server software)
- Torrent client 24/7 operation.
What is "GE"? oh the GE sub-models for the AMD Ryzen lineup?
Can you give me some Amazon links to some models in question? Just one is fine and I'll take it from there to find something else.
Better IGP
I don't care for that as I'll be remotely accessing this server - all terminal and Webmin interfacing from a remote web browser client.

And thank you for replying.

Sonokamome

Nov 28, 2006
None of this should ramp up the CPU.

Now, if you're using a VPN like ovpn it might compare to using wireguard.
You're right but as it stands with the NUC that I have currently (https://www.newegg.com/intel-boxnuc6i5syh/p/N82E16856102144?Item=N82E16856102144) I just can't run anything too intense like torrenting or the fan starts blasting.
Well in that case then I guess I'll get a ThinkPad micro unit (https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Think...mzn1.fos.17d9e15d-4e43-4581-b373-0e5c1a776d5d).