Dell Latitude D800 Review

cpkim

Banned
Jun 9, 2003
Well, I've had my D800 for a few weeks now and I really wanted to give my opinion on it. I felt i've used it enough to know the quirks and what not. To my surprise the unit isn't really that big. I had *no* problems taking the notebook with me on a cross country flight. I watched DVDs, played games, browsed the net (cached pages) and everything was awesome. I pretty much lug it around everywhere I go and the weight / size has not been an issue for me. I'm used to lugging around smaller notebooks as well (iBook, Sony SuperSlim R505GL) And I have found the size increase not to difficult to adjust to.

What I really wanted in a notebook, I have not found in my year long search. My criteria was very difficult to match. I wanted ; er no.. HAD to have WIDESCREEN, a semi thin case, IEEE1394, built in wireless, built in Bluetooth, USB 2.0, Trackpad and Eraserhead, Centrino Processor, Excellent battery life, user removable HD, memory and CPU. I wanted something with good support and a good reputation. My primary use would be to lug it around and carry my files, digital camera pics, etc.. I had to have something powerful enough to decode my .RAW picture files in Photoshop. (I'm a semi-pro Digital Camera photographer) and be able to run all the apps flawlessly and effortlessly while in battery mode.

Build Quality

The build quality is typical Dell. Pretty solid, but little creaks here and there. Nothing to bad though. The top piece is made of some sort of metal, and with the majority of the notebook being plastic. The only real noticable flaw I had on my notebook was that the keyboard would flex when you typed on it. Not too bad and very typical problem with this model. I removed the keyboard and put some toilet paper to cushion it and the problem was gone:).. The only other problem I had was that the AC adapter would make whinning noises. I hear thats already fixed with the later REV AC adapters, so I will have to call them to get it replaced. Overall the Build quality is good. Not IBM or Toshiba solid, but well enough to take the beating of travelling and what not. I'm sure this unit will last for quite sometime. One feature I really liked was that removing the processor and fan is literally a 2 screw operation. The fan / cpu is easily replaced if something were to happen. The unit doesn't really get to hot either. The 2 hotspots I noticed were the left palm rest (the HD is right underneath) and the memory cover plate. The palmrest did not bother me at all. Some complained about the heat on the Dell forums, and I think its only because the right palm rest does not suffer from this problem. Really, I have a 5400RPM drive and I just feel a little warm spot. Nothing bad at all. The memory cover plate on the other hand is somewhat toasty. I would probably classify it as being a between warm ~ hot. Not sure if it's because I have 1GB memory (2x512 SODIMMS) The fan that blows the cpu air, only turns on 50% of the time and is VERY quiet. Overall, the system is very quiet and I have no problems leaving it on 24x7.

The size and weight is actually pretty good. The unit is a lot slimmer than I thought it would be.. About an inch and half in height and 7 lbs. in weight. What's cool is that I can fit this on my standard size laptop case despite the wide screen aspect of the notebook. The more I use it the more I realize how much they packed into the notebook despite the size of it. Overall i'm really satisfied with the size even though I had reservations before seeing it in person.

Display

The screen I got (WUXGA) is awesome! best screen i've ever seen on any notebook. You can display 2 word pages side by side and it looks great. The unit I have does not suffer from burn in problems or any dead pixels. Its cyrstal clear and super bright. You can also look at the screen from different angles and you can see it perfectly. The pixels on a WUXGA screen is 1920x1600 and the icons / text are somewhat small. I'm not really bothered by this as I would rather have the screen real estate. When viewing my digital camera pics, it looks great and the colors are very true. However, for me, I can never really trust an LCD to edit pics as they still don't have the same color depth as a high end CRT, but for the road, this screen cannot be beat. When playing a game outside of native resolution, the screen will stretch out to fit. I have found that it is very smooth and perfectly acceptable to play my games in 1024x768. When compared to my friends 1600x1200 UXGA / ATI M9, you can see that the NVIDIA solution is a lot more smooth when running in a resolution other than native. It's very obvious. Overal i'm very satisfied with the display / graphics. I'm not gonna be using this strictly for gaming, but it's nice to know I can play the occasional CS :)

Performance

Performance wise, the system is great. Very quick and fast. I felt no difference in speed when doing normal tasks between the D800 and my home rig (P4 2.0) The system boots up, suspends and hibernates faster than any machine i've ever used. The system Bios is very detailed and tells you a lot of info. Not too much you can tweak though. Overall, i'm sure this notebook will last quite sometime in regards to speed. The Centrino processor runs very cool and the fan (as mentioned above) hardly spins up. On my particular system, I have a 60GB 5400RPM drive and 1GB of memory. With this setup, I can run all and any apps I can imagine and with great speed.

The video card of choice for me was the 32MB GeForce 4 5200. The card plays all my 3D accelerated games just fine (CS, Tony Hawk4, Warcraft3) As well as my 2D games (Mame, Starcraft). Although I do wish I got the 64MB card for the 128bit bandwidth (32MB cards have 64bit bandwidth).. FYI- I get about 6600 on 3D Mark 2001SE. Not to shabby IMO. Another thing I liked was that the Video card was user removable. I hear that Dell is releasing a revised D800 with the new 128MB GeForce FX Go in the upcomming months, so If I really wanted to, I can upgrade to that card at a later date. But so far, the card is more than enough for my uses and i'm really pleased with the performance and stability.

Battery life was something I was really concerned with when I was researching which notebook to get. I knew I wanted Centrino for the extended life and my notebook HAD to have widescreen. As much as I liked the Powerbooks, I already have an iBook and I can't use a Mac as my 'main' notebook. With the D800 under normal real life usage, I get around 3 hours per battery. I took advantage of the Dell free battery offer and with 2 Batteries i've got 6 hours of *real* life usage which IMO is pretty good. I've already ordered a module bay battery so I can take out the optical drive if I really wanted long life w/o taking my spare battery out. The battery is a long rectangular in shape and is quite light. You can also see how much battery life is left on the battery w/o inserting it by pressing a little button on the battery itself.

Overall, when using the system, I really don't pay much attention to the battery. I just use it and charge it whenever the plug is nearby or convenient. I've actually taken the notebook to work w/o the AC adapter and used it sparingly throughout the day and it will last the whole day on one battery. I just let the notebook suspend whenever possible.

Features

Feature wise, the notebook CANNOT BE TOUCHED. I don't care what you have, you cannot beat the feature set from this notebook.. Bluetooth? got it.. Gigabit network? got it.. IEEE1394? got it.. Smart card reader?.. got it.. Basically everything under the sun. My system came with WXP Pro. I'm not a big fan of OEM preloaded OS'es. I've always found some ugly apps and doo-dads that I have no need for. This is where Dell exceeded my expectations. If you choose to 'reload' everything, you basically put in Disk1 of the restore CD (basically its just an XP CD designed only to install on Dell systems. No need to activate or input any Serial numbers) It will install the OS.. THATS IT. No drivers, no apps nothing. Basically a clean install of XP w/o the need to Activate or register. This makes reinstalling a simple and elegant thing to do. Should you choose to install all the included apps, you will have to insert another disk after the OS is up. When browsing Dell's website, I see all the drivers and patches neatly organized and easy to find. Very nice indeed. I had no problem doing a clean install with just the drivers loaded.

Since i'm a big audiophile nut, i've decided to put in a few words about the headphone output. While the audio card (AC97 (Soft Audio) does a good job and the onboard speakers are better than average, I have found when using my high end headphones (Etymotics ER4-P) there is a nice amount of hiss. Let me be the first to say that i'm VERY picky when it comes to audio, so this may not bother most people. Overall, I found the audio on my iBook a better example.

Value

I can't really go to in-depth here since it is very subjective.. I do note that for the features and warranty (standard 3 years for Latitude and 1 year for Inspiron) I found the D800 to be a pretty good value. I have ZERO regrets getting this notebook and with Dell's coupons, free shipping, free DVD/CDRW/memory upgrades, etc.. You really begin to see the value in the system.

Pros
  • Great performance and all the features packed into one good lookin' sturdy case.
  • Best LCD i've ever seen in a notebook. Seems Dell is big enough to always get all the latest and greatest technology.
  • Dell support is good (compared to other manufacturers.)
  • Battery life is excellent.
  • Very nice restore image process that only loads the OS and w/ nothing else.
  • Easily transportable and mobile despite it's "desktop replacement" nomenclature.

Cons
  • Dell should really have stricter quality control.

Specs

Here are the specs to my notebook. To make my notebook completely 'Centrino' qualified, I got the Intel Pro Wireless card. I have no complaints with this card as it seems to have pretty good range. The only problem I had was with the Intel ProSet app crashing with my Nortel VPN client. This is a well reported problem and should be fixed by either Intel or Nortel soon enough.

Intel Pentium M Processor - 1.60GHz Centrino
Microsoft Windows XP® Professional SP1
1GB PC2100 DDR Memory (2x512)
60GB HD (interestingly enough, it came with a 4200 RPM Hitachi unit w/o the 5400 60GB as an option. I quickly swapped that out with a 60GB 5400 RPM Toshiba unit I bought from Newegg.)
15.4" WUXGA (1920x1600)
NVIDIA GeForce 4 4200 Go 32MB graphics chipset
Combination DVD/CD-RW drive 8X/24X/10X/24X (I've only burned one disks and it burns fine at 24X)
Intel PRO Wireless 2100 WLAN (802.11b) mini-PCI card

Built in:

2X USB2.0 ports, 4-pin IEEE1394, Bluetooth, Wireless, Smart Card reader, VGA out, TV out, 56K V.92 modem, 10/100/1000 NIC, 1X PCMICA Slot

Conclusion

Very satisfied would happily buy again. Zero regrets. Very feature rich and with a touch of fun to it. I simply smile everytime I open the lid and bootup to the nice widescreen display. Lots of ohhs and ahhs when you take this thing out in public. I would not hesitate to recommend to anyone looking for a notebook with similiar requirements as I.

Bloodstein

Nov 8, 2002
Hmn....sounds good to me.

I jus configured a D800 on the Dell website. Here in NZ, the price of the Dell D800 and Thinkpad T40 are almost exactly the same. Haha. D800 - 'bout NZ$4800. T40 - NZ$5050.

I'm thinking at the moment T40 all the way. However, is there anyone there that still reckons D800 is better than the T40? I know you get wide screen, more resolutions on D800....but it comes with a hit on battery life to power those extra pixels :)

MikeD2k3

Dec 23, 2002
cpkim

Great review! It's this kind of indepth analysis that really helps someone trying to decide on a notebook. I hope to do the same kind of review when I get my i600m.

MikeD2k3

johngalt9999

Jan 17, 2003
mr. blood, here in the state, we often get heavy discount (ie. i can save an addititonal 5% on dell pcs, and notebooks through college), plus dell gives out free shipping in da us. After all the bundled discount, IBM is way over dell's deals.

TheOverlord

Platinum Member
Oct 17, 2000
reading this makes me sad that i couldn't find a summer job to get me the cash i needed to get this laptop...*sigh*

ceo2b

Apr 22, 2003
Originally posted by: TheOverlord
reading this makes me sad that i couldn't find a summer job to get me the cash i needed to get this laptop...*sigh*

My sentiments exactly. I had really been pursuaded by the 'shiba Tecra M1 but I was a bit skeptical on the issue of the RAM. Even with the bigger/wider screen, the d800 is only a few one-hundredths of a pound heavier than the Tecra. My only concerned would be the tech support at Dell. Either way the d800 looks to be a great full circle machine and still can be considered portable.

I'm a person who likes to get quality products that can last FOREVER. I love my '00 desktop and will not buy another one until this machine dies. I'll be the same with my 1st lappy b/c I do not like to buy products of this nature evey two years.

Black.Lotus

Feb 20, 2000
Originally posted by: ceo2b

I'm a person who likes to get quality products that can last FOREVER. I love my '00 desktop and will not buy another one until this machine dies. I'll be the same with my 1st lappy b/c I do not like to buy products of this nature evey two years.

Oh yeah, well I'm writing this on my (read: not shared) first and only desktop from '98 ;).... of which the designing/buliding was faciliated by this great site. maybe after college i'll have the green to upgrade every two years like normal people.

rocadelpunk

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
i can play warcraft 3 in 1600x1200 with my gf4 440go 1.8p4-m...video card is oc'd. so i bet you're doing quite dandy : P.

I'd oc your video card some though if you ever got the need, or update your videocard drivers.

On my lappy, with oc'd video i get around 60003dmark2001se...now i know 3dmark is useless...to an extent, but still, I bet if you updated drivers you could hit 8k or some other frivelous number i make up : )

alfatekpt

Apr 20, 2002
Can you be more specific about the LCD monitor? I mean.... i heard some people complained about problems with that monitor like bad pixels & stuff like that... Do you have more info about that or so far, so good?

Also, do you enjoy playing games with that monitor?

thanks.

cpkim

Banned
Jun 9, 2003
The problems reported was with the LCD showing some ghosthing or images left on the screen such as the taskbar, etc...

After reading Dell forums a bit, this looks to be related to a specific LCD panel manufacturer and does not affect my panel.

Playing games is a blast, even games that do not support wide-aspect ratio monitors.

Black.Lotus

Feb 20, 2000
thanks for the informative posts. I too am considering a D800. could you please post pics of some applications running in native screen mode and some pics of games in non-native resolution? also, is there an option to just get black bars on the sides instead of stretching the video?

crzylgs

Apr 6, 2003
i got one a while back

1.6ghz decked out
came out to 2300 $

I love the laptop havent had any issues minus the whining AC adapter.

BTW: the WUXGA is 1920x1200 not x1600.

def32

Feb 14, 2000
Yes, you can just have a game run at 1024x768 and have black bars on the side of the screen. I don't have any place to host pics right now but I can email you a pic or two running at native resolution if you PM or email me

cpkim

Banned
Jun 9, 2003
Originally posted by: crzylgs
i got one a while back

1.6ghz decked out
came out to 2300 $

I love the laptop havent had any issues minus the whining AC adapter.

BTW: the WUXGA is 1920x1200 not x1600.

Call Dell and get the AC Adapter replaced. I have an A01 version and it does not whine.

Black.Lotus

Feb 20, 2000
thank you cpkim! man, the d800 (and i guess i8500) certainly have a higher quality screen than the other dell laptops! Drool inducing indeed! i'm pretty sure I know what i'll be getting...

btw, I checked out the legendary new toshiba satellite in person. It's definitely a very nice screen, but I wouldn't say that it's necessari

gimplabs

Jun 14, 2003
Well, I just unpacked my D800 today (kudos to Dell, I placed my order exactly one week ago, today). Should anyone care to have additional comments on it, I'll be posting them as I become familiar with the platform. But I have to say my first impressions are pretty typical.

I'm blown away by the screen (I was fortunate enough not to get one of those bad Samsung "memory" screens). The resolution can get hanky with some graphical interfaces (simply because most apps don't know what to do with 1900 X 1200 resolution), but all in all, it's truly awesome (I had a DVD going taking up maybe 1/20 the screen, and it remained ultra-crisp and did nothing to affect application performance). The system performance is wonderful for what I need (minor gaming, heavy graphics and Web D programs, plus numerous business apps and spreadsheets). I started looking for a laptop in earnest four months ago. I'm rather ashamed of how long it took me to decide on this Dell (I tend to be elitist, and my ego refused to think that "billions and billions sold" Dell had enough cachet for me). My only real gripes are the build materials and quality (my kingdom for a magnesium case!). Again, stressing the point of "for what I need", this laptop is (as of this writing) second-to-none.

D800
WUXGA
Centrino 1.6Ghz
512 DDR
Nvidia GeForce 4200 64MB
40MB (5400 RPM Hitachi) HDD
Optical Mouse
Modular second battery
CD RW/DV Combo
Intel Pro Wireless 802.11b

LiLRiceBoi

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2000
Just got a D800.

I was wondering what cases you guys use for this. I'm looking for either a sleeve or a messenger style bag.

Thanks

NJDevil

Jun 10, 2002
even though i know that it's a little too late (i ordered my t40). Which one has the better reputation/overall performance? The T40 or the D800? I ask this because a friend of mine hasn't ordered his laptop for school yet, and he gets a great discount on both of these machines. From what I have read, both the T40 and the D800 are excellent machines, but besides from the awesome construction of the t40 and the great screen of the d800, are there any major differences?

linclee

Nov 6, 2001
Great pictures, I ordered refurnished 8500 got a good deal with WSXSA ,P4-2.0,30gig,32meg Radeon 9000,mini PCI wireless CDRW/DVD combo for $1125

I couldn'd find a deal with D800 with WUXGA screen

ceo2b

Apr 22, 2003
D800 owners : did Smart Cards come with the unit? Additionally, is the smart card reader separate from the Type II slot?