Dell Inspiron 8500 not charging battery

integramodder

Jun 13, 2003
The same LED cycle occurs. I've also found that it charges with my docking station but not from the outlet.

Found someone with the same problem, but cant see the solution:
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Laptops_Notebooks/Q_21646461.html

My Dell Inspiron 8100 battery light has been blinking orange. I pushed the test button on the battery and it blinks 3 times with 3 test lights coming on (every other one config.), then the 4th blink all 5 test lights come on, then it stops blinking. I'm guessing this means the battery is bad? How can I test the laptop to see if it really is charging the battery. I replaced the battery with a referb. battery and it showed green light for charging but will not run on battery and tells me my battery is low. The referb. battery test button brings on all 5 test lights.

mdahc

Oct 9, 2004
I had the same problem with my i8500 (God, did I hate that laptop). However, I had to get so many parts replaced during its lifetime, I can't remember exactly which one I had to replace to resolve this issue. IIRC, I called tech support, placed a work order, and had them replace the motherboard (it was still under warranty). I also ended up getting a replacement AC adapter, but I think that's cuz my cats had chewed up the cords. Then again, it could just be your battery. I don't recall ever having to get a new battery, but you could always go that route and return it if that doesn't solve your problem.

integramodder

Jun 13, 2003
I have an inspiron 6000 that I got a little while back. Except this time I was smart and got the 4 year warranty. I can afford to get this crap fixed now. My old 8500 is out of warranty, and I know they will charge me an arm and 2 legs to get it repaired. The chassis/frame of the laptop is broken in the top right near the LCD hinge, so my LCD isnt being held very securely right now...I'm pondering riping the thing apart and creating an MCE system to use the 15.4 inch screen as a TV for my bar that I'll be making in a few weeks...

I think its due to the power connector port. If I wiggle it around it gets a connection and kicks in.