Dell Inspiron 6000 Troubleshooting

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
For some reason, the Fn+F2 doesn't enable/disable my wireless card like it should. The QuickSet icon shows up and says enabled/disabled, but the wireless card stays enabled the no matter what QuickSet says.

Any ideas?

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Are you talking about the WiFi light thats on the laptop itself that is still enabled?

And are you still able to pick up WiFi networks even when quickset says your wifi is disabled?

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Yep, light stays on, QuickSet says disabled. BIOS has all the default settings so the Fn+F2 should work, but no go.

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
If anything, if quickset says your wireless is off, and you cant detect any networks that you know exist, then it maybe a defunct with the led.

I know in some cases when I ran the laptop either with the AC adapter or just on battery only, that when I am using the wifi, the wifi led turns off - however the bluetooth led stays on. This is only an asthetic problem in my eye so I didnt even pursue any technical assistance.

See what the dell support forums hold in terms of anyone else that has the problem. I would suggest the phone support but I went through hell and back to talk with an indian guy every time (and this is when I ordered my bluetooth module). No offense to Indian people, but their accents are thick and hard to understand - like my ears and mind cant respond to their frequencies that they broadcast clearly.

Anyways, see if that helps. Also, get driver updates for your wifi device if you can.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
I get it sometimes that the WiFi light will somehow magically go off, while the bluetooth icon stays lit, and I'm still surfing wirelessly.

If you hit fn+f2 and can no longer pick up any wifi networks or connect, then I'd say its a cosmetic thing.