Question Dell Inspiron 15 Locks Up Yet Passes All Hardware Diagnostics

owensdj

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2000
A Dell Inspiron 15 5578 locks up sometimes(have to use power button) and seems to be installing Windows 10 Updates very, very slowly, yet passes every hardware diagnostic. I've ran the Dell pre-boot diagnostics as well as MemTest86+ and the Seagate hard drive diagnostics. Nothing finds any problems with the hardware. I've done a factory restore using the recovery partition twice, yet the problem is still there.

The only things I can even come up with at this point are:
1. Some bad Windows update of a driver after the factory restore.
2. Processor overheating. CPU temps idle at 38-39C. I don't hear the fan running much, so that seems unlikely.
3. Problem with the factory restore data.

damian101

Aug 11, 2020
I had such an issue once, screen would go black about twice a week, laptop wouldn't accept any input, Memtest86+ ran fine, performance was also good. It turned out that what caused the issue was a hair that was between one RAM module and the contacts.

owensdj

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2000
That's really interesting. I saw a situation once where every computer at a store kept having reliability issues after being there for a year or so. It turns out that the chlorine in the bags stored nearby was reacting with the gold contacts on the memory modules. You could fix the problems by taking out the modules and cleaning the contacts with isopropyl alcohol.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
A Dell Inspiron 15 5578 locks up sometimes(have to use power button) and seems to be installing Windows 10 Updates very, very slowly, yet passes every hardware diagnostic. I've ran the Dell pre-boot diagnostics as well as MemTest86+ and the Seagate hard drive diagnostics. Nothing finds any problems with the hardware. I've done a factory restore using the recovery partition twice, yet the problem is still there.

The only things I can even come up with at this point are:
1. Some bad Windows update of a driver after the factory restore.
2. Processor overheating. CPU temps idle at 38-39C. I don't hear the fan running much, so that seems unlikely.
3. Problem with the factory restore data.
Have you tried doing a Win 10 reinstall with the USB media rather than factory restore data?