Dell Dimension 5150/E510 case

vtohthree

Apr 18, 2005
Ok, well from the impression that I've seen, supposedly those cases are supposed to be quiet. The reason I ask is because the last dell I've purchased was a Dimension 8200(all plastic and all tool-less) that thing was sooo loud, it had a constant vibration hum that annoyed the heck out of me and seemingly anyone who used it at my house.

So I gave it to my dad, and he complains about its noise too...he doesn't need a super powerful computer, and I'm too lazy to go and build him one, so I was thinking about picking up a Dimension 5150 or E510, they are at the Dell outlet inventory for CHEAP($300+), any one of those should be sufficient enough for him as far as power goes....but I don't want to buy a mistake*(another loud, flimsy, rattling case), supposedly it has improve, does anyone have experience with 'em? How are they, are they loud? Or even better has anyone experienced the Dimension 8200/8250 series case and can compare it to the Dimension 51050/E510 case first hand??

Thanks.

vtohthree

Apr 18, 2005
Not all dells, just my experience with the 8200 series... I've had other dells before, shoot, I can't even remember the model number off the top of my head, but I had no complaints on noise, I'm just asking about these current ones.

cheesehead

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Dell cases tend to be headaches.
It does vary, though.
Also, some Dell computers use nonstandard PSUs.

overst33r

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: vtohthree
hmm, so no one can comment specifically on the Dimensino Desktop 5150/E510 cases?

my friend just got and E510 and he says it's barely audible.