Dell 3007WFP vs 3008WFP

brentpresley

Golden Member
Mar 16, 2004
3008WFP has a built in scaler that has an error in it.

It automatically "scales" all the content it receives, over every port, even if the content is sent at the native 2560x1600 resolution.

This issue artificially inflates the response time.

It's the sole reason I went for the 3007WFP-HC (note the HC - it's MUCH nicer than the non-HC panel).
http://episteme.arstechnica.co...7909965/m/740001880931

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005
Originally posted by: brentpresley

It automatically "scales" all the content it receives, over every port, even if the content is sent at the native 2560x1600 resolution.

It's the sole reason I went for the 3007WFP-HC (note the HC - it's MUCH nicer than the non-HC panel).

I can't find anything confirming that information though. However, considering 1 month after that thread you linked to was made Dell pulled all the stock of the 3008WFP due to "Technical Issues". I would assume the scaler issue was fixed.

Compddd

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2000
Can anyone confirm or point to a site which has confirmed that the scaler issue has been resolved?

brentpresley

Golden Member
Mar 16, 2004
Originally posted by: Quiksilver

I can't find anything confirming that information though. However, considering 1 month after that thread you linked to was made Dell pulled all the stock of the 3008WFP due to "Technical Issues". I would assume the scaler issue was fixed.

"Once again, the 3008WFP-HC scores low while a growing number of screens come with no input lag, even in the entry-level. This screen is consistently 3 images behind."

http://www.behardware.com/arti...5/dell-3008wfp-hc.html

VERY comprehensive review of the 3008WFP right there. Lag issue is noted by the reviewers.

Their conclusion:
"The 3008WFP-HC is a great and very practical screen but don?t expect high performances. It has poor factory presettings, is subject to latency, input lag, shimmering in movies and it consumes too much energy. If only the inside had gotten as much attention as the exterior!

There are indeed problems. For this reason, we are a bit frustrated and had the impression of not getting our money?s worth. In the end, Dell ambitious price isn?t on par with the actual qualities of its monitor."

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005

"Once again, the 3008WFP-HC scores low while a growing number of screens come with no input lag, even in the entry-level. This screen is consistently 3 images behind."

VERY comprehensive review of the 3008WFP right there. Lag issue is noted by the reviewers.

Their conclusion:
"The 3008WFP-HC is a great and very practical screen but don?t expect high performances. It has poor factory presettings, is subject to latency, input lag, shimmering in movies and it consumes too much energy. If only the inside had gotten as much attention as the exterior!

There are indeed problems. For this reason, we are a bit frustrated and had the impression of not getting our money?s worth. In the end, Dell ambitious price isn?t on par with the actual qualities of its monitor."

Once again, the Dell 3008WFP was pulled off shelves due to a "technical issue" 1 month after your original thread you linked to and about 3 weeks after the one your just linked to.

Unless you have a more recent review of the 3008WFP still showing the same input lag issues then those reviews are of moot points. As the issue has been fixed. That is what i cannot confirm, I just know there was a "technical issue" that caused it to be pulled from shelves; which could have been the scaler.

http://news.softpedia.com/news...cal-Issues-83355.shtml

Just that it doesn't mention what "technical issues" were fixed :\

Compddd

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2000

Their conclusion:

Brent, does your 3007WFP-HC have any of those problems? Shimmering, input lag, latency, etc?

brentpresley

Golden Member
Mar 16, 2004
But you have no definitive proof that the lag problem was ever fixed. ;)

Please link us a review, dated after the mid-April pull date, that shows improved lag.

Plus, let's look at this another way:
If the 3008WFP was the greatest thing since sliced bread, Dell would not have the 3007WFP-HC along side it FS (and no, it's not old stock - my panel has a manuf date of July 2008).

The 3007WFP-HC has JUST as good of image quality and is cheaper.

The ONLY thing the 3008WFP brings to the table is a bevy of inputs. Some of us care about those, some do not.

brentpresley

Golden Member
Mar 16, 2004
Originally posted by: Compddd

Their conclusion:

Brent, does your 3007WFP-HC have any of those problems? Shimmering, input lag, latency, etc?

Zilch.

The monitor is VERY responsive, there is zero ghosting, and since there is no scaler in the display, no extra latency.

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005
But you have no definitive proof that the lag problem was ever fixed. ;)

Please link us a review, dated after the mid-April pull date, that shows improved lag.

Plus, let's look at this another way:
If the 3008WFP was the greatest thing since sliced bread, Dell would not have the 3007WFP-HC along side it FS (and no, it's not old stock - my panel has a manuf date of July 2008).

The 3007WFP-HC has JUST as good of image quality and is cheaper.

The ONLY thing the 3008WFP brings to the table is a bevy of inputs. Some of us care about those, some do not.

Bah, that's the thing. I can't show if it still exists :( I'll prolly look around though.

The 3008WFP has a wider-range of resolutions to choose from due to the scaler; not just the inputs. As I believe if you game doesn't support the monitors native res, the scaler can help with image sharpness

brentpresley

Golden Member
Mar 16, 2004
I'm simply gonna ask this:
If you can afford a 30" LCD panel, why do you need to scale?

Seriously, if you can lay that kind of $$$ down for the panel, you can find a card to game at native resolution.

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005
You never get bored and break out an older game like starcraft, quake, etc. and feel like playing it on a gigantic monitor without sacrificing image quality?

Compddd

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2000
What price did you pay for yours Brent? I've seen them as low as $1049.

Also is it true you can call Dell sales reps and bargain/haggle with them on price?

brentpresley

Golden Member
Mar 16, 2004
$1049 is a great price on that.

And most of the time, you can't haggle w/ a sales rep and it get you squat. I think Dell got rid of their quota system or something.

kY

Feb 21, 2003
You never get bored and break out an older game like starcraft, quake, etc. and feel like playing it on a gigantic monitor without sacrificing image quality?

Reviving an old thread ... will the built-in scalar on the 3008 scale Starcraft so 800x600 doesn't look all jaggy/blocky?

doclucas

Apr 5, 2009
Originally posted by: ky

Reviving an old thread ... will the built-in scalar on the 3008 scale Starcraft so 800x600 doesn't look all jaggy/blocky?

yes, of course, that's what the scaler is for...