Dell 2007WFP

Raptor45

Aug 31, 2006
Finally arrived... and I'm less than pleased.

No banding, or dead pixels, but a horrible backlight or view angle problem, not sure which.

Looking at a black screen, dead on, I see reddish bright areas in all four corners. Looking at it from a bit off center in front of one of the corners, the whole screen turns reddish purple. I'm not just being picky, this is absolutely horrid. Any idea how I should approach this problem? Just give a Dell a call and ask for a new one?

nwrigley

Jun 19, 2005
I'm not an expert, but if I were you I would go ahead and exchange it. Test it on another machine first if you can so at least you will be sure that it's a problem with the monitor.

Raptor45

Aug 31, 2006
Am I too close? Is it not worth testing an all black screen? Am I expecting too much from an LCD?

Looking at a black picture it has a noticeable reddish/purple hue around the corners which I wasn't expecting from a $400 monitor, but overall the picture quality is awesome.

EDIT: My biggest fear is having Dell send me a new one, then having exactly the same issue.

Raptor45

Aug 31, 2006
I could really use an answer here:

Should a pure black screen viewed dead-on from 1~2 ft away be a consistent black, or is very noticeable reddening in the corners normal? ...would posting some pics be helpful?

It appears to be due to the view angle, since I do see some slight back light bleeding coming down from the top of the screen and this is different.

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
[The color black when displayed on] S-IPS screens will turn violet/brownish when looked at off-axis. This is just one of their characteristics. But if you're seeing it dead on, then you have an ununiform screen. I don't think there should be any redding in the corners, but it may be some coating they used.

Raptor45

Aug 31, 2006
Could anyone with a 2007WFP comment perhaps?

If this is normal for S-IPS at this angle then I'll learn to live with it, but...

JohnAn2112

Diamond Member
May 8, 2003
I have the 2005FPW and I see some blacklight bleeding when the screen is supposed to be completely black, but I don't mind it since my screen would never be completely black to begin with. In normal day to day use, including gaming, the picture quality is fantastic IMO.

Raptor45

Aug 31, 2006
I suppose I could just call up Dell and ask for a replacement, and see if it has the same problem when it arrives. I guess I'll find out just how good their total satisfaction policy is.

Bet

May 6, 2006
Originally posted by: Raptor45
I suppose I could just call up Dell and ask for a replacement, and see if it has the same problem when it arrives. I guess I'll find out just how good their total satisfaction policy is.
So what did you end up doing? I bought one of these monitors last weekend, ended up with the IPS version fortunately, but unfortunately have a similar problem to you. Although my panel seems to definitely be offbalance, since on a black or darkened screen, on the right bottom of the screen there's a large triangular chunk of dark orange glow. The left corner's equivalent triangle is very small in comparison.

Add to that some minor backlight bleed, and dark scenes are kind of irritating, in that it's like I forgot to turn off a light in the room and it's glaring off the bottom right corner. On the other hand, the color reproduction is awesome, and when games are in motion the bleed isn't noticeable. Plus so far there's no dead/stuck pixels.

Nervous now about having Dell send out a replacement that's a PVA panel, or defective in other areas. I thought it was high time to switch to LCD, but maybe another year waiting wouldn't have hurt.

Matt2

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2001
I dont have any of the prpnlems u guys are having. I have a tiny bit of bleeding, but no colors, that's for sure.

Shortass

May 13, 2004
When I bought one when it first came out I noticed it was fairly purple on a totally black screen in the corners, but I also had to deal with the horrid banding so I got rid of it and haven't looked back yet. In most cases it looks fine however, so it didn't really bother me all that much.

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
Sounds like backlight bleeding to me if it's in the corners. Leaky light on S-IPS panels must be more red than usual.

Bet

May 6, 2006
Originally posted by: xtknight
Sounds like backlight bleeding to me if it's in the corners. Leaky light on S-IPS panels must be more red than usual.
Well that's the strange thing, there's backlight bleed on the top of the monitor, and it's the normal white, although it's so minor you need to stand 4 feet back to see it. And if you stand at that distance, the orange bleed in the bottom corners is the normal white. It's bizarre, and after 3 days using it it definitely seems to be more than a minor defect, since the orange hue is apparently only supposed to be viewable from extreme angles. Sucks.

This IPS panel is vibrant as hell though and extremely sharp, so hopefully a replacement would still be an IPS and not one of the PVA ones people are fearful of now for this monitor.