Dell 1704FPT or Samsung 730B

Corey0808

Sep 26, 2003
What are your opinions? I've tried searching the forums and not much has come up.

Essentially I'm looking for an 8-bit 17" LCD that is reasonably priced. I'm not sure if either of these are 8-bit or not. If you have any other 17" LCD recommendations that are reasonbly priced (around 300 preferably cheaper) that would be great.

As far as uses:

I play games like UT2k4, WoW and HL2
Use it for word processing and internet browsing
Use it to watch movies

dornick

Jan 30, 2005
the 1704fpt is not 8-bit. Just your standard 6-bit with dithering panel to get 16.2 mil colors. Not that it's a bad thing, I'm looking at it myself

Corey0808

Sep 26, 2003
I realize it's not a bad thing, I would be worried about the color reproduction in movies / games. I can't find a decent review on either of these LCD's.

This LCD would really be used in an all-purpose sort of way. Do you know of any 8-bit 17" panels that aren't way to expensive?

Thanks!

dornick

Jan 30, 2005
I actually hear it's fairly difficult to tell apart one of these 16.2 million panels from a true 8-bit panel. Anyway, for playing games, you're going to want a low response time and those almost always are the 16.2 type

Josh7289

Apr 19, 2005
I am using the 730B right now. It's a 6-bit (16.2 mil. colors). I think it's really good, but I have never really used anything else. It's 8 ms response time is really good for games, too. I very rarely notice any motion blur, but when I do, it's about the same thing I saw when using a CRT, even in action-y games, like BF2. I'd go for the Samsung.

aldente

Aug 25, 2002
You are right to worry about color reproduction in your games and movies with a 17" TN panel. I'm in the same stage of LCD buying as you. I was planning on getting one of the two LCDs you're looking at, or another third, the Viewsonic VP171B. But I found out that there aren't any 8-bit 17" LCDs available :(

As you know, if you consider the 19" variety, you'll find 8-bit panels, but at higher prices. After reading all I could, I conclude now that a 19" 8-bit, 8ms VA panel is worth the extra price for gaming, photo/video editing and movies. If you can't afford a 19", I would get whatever was cheaper between the two 17" LCDs you mentioned (I heard that Dell has a great dead pixel policy, and runs good coupons sometimes, so that may be the better bet).

http://www.behardware.com/art/imprimer/563/

This article, although about one 19" LCD, has a lot of good info in it about the different panels available, and contrasts between 17 and 19" models.

aldente

Aug 25, 2002
Although I don't *need* a 19" LCD (would be perfectly happy with a 17") I'm leaning toward that expensive ($430) Viewsonic VP191B LCD described in the article. I figure for the long run it'll be worth it for me as I do photo/video editing, movie watching and plenty of gaming. If I hadn't saved my pennies for this purchase, I would probably get the Dell 1704 with a coupon.

Poulsonator

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2002
I have the 730B as a secondary monitor and it's fine (my main is a 2005FPW). One thing I've discovered is that people tend to over analyze these types of purchases, to the point that they can't possibly be happy with anything. If you are seriously considering one of two monitors, and you potentially would buy either one, then just pick one and buy it. No matter the choice, you'll have buyer's remorse initially, but once that thing is on your desk, all of that will immediately go away.

Unless you get a lemon, and that can happen with any piece of equipment.

Good luck with your decision!

Corey0808

Sep 26, 2003
Poulsonator ---

Just out of curiousity how does the 730B compare to your 2005FPW (i.e. color reproduction, movies)? I wanted to get the 2005FPW but it's way out of my price range.

Thanks!

Poulsonator

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2002
Originally posted by: Corey0808
Poulsonator ---

Just out of curiousity how does the 730B compare to your 2005FPW (i.e. color reproduction, movies)? I wanted to get the 2005FPW but it's way out of my price range.

Thanks!

Compared to the 2005FPW...well, they're both monitors?

A bit of an overstatement there. ;) The 730B is a great 17" monitor. Colors are nice, games look good, movies are fine. The price was right, too (I got mine for $180 when Staples recently ran some crazy special). My wife uses it quite a bit (she plays lots of WoW with me), and she loves it.

It's not really fair to compare the two, but I understand why you're asking. Is the 2005FPW worth the extra money? Without a doubt. Best monitor I've ever owned, I'd buy another one in a second if I could (I bought one for my dad last week), and it's enhanced my gaming experience like nothing else. That being said, the 730B is a great monitor for the price. I would have been more than happy with using it as my main if that's all I could get.

Corey0808

Sep 26, 2003
Poulsonator --

I really appreciate your comments. I'm looking to get an LCD monitor before I head up to college again this fall. I don't really see the point in a 19" LCD. If by chance the 2005FPW goes sub $400 again I might pick it up but I don't know if it will in time. Beyond that I might get the 730B

LJ925

Apr 20, 2005
The 1704 comes with a height adustable pivoting stand and USB ports. I think thats a big plus for the 1704. USB ports are nice, especially if your case is buried under a desk.

July is the end Dell's financial quarter, so might be a good chance of getting one for under $200 in the next couple of weeks.

Just bought and set one up for my Dad a couple of weeks ago for ~$200 (with coupons) and I think its looks great using DVI. No dead pixels either. Can't comment about gaming or extened use. 3 yr warranty also a plus.

computer

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2000
Guys, whomever was asking....the 1704FPV is 8 bit, 16.7 million colors. Right now, it costs a lot more than the 1704FPT. See my thread here: http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=1651233

I also easily found a lot of reviews on it and all were good. One person complained about the viewing angle of the FPT which bothers me now....I'm wondering if I made a mistake.

Also if anyone knows what the warranty is on the 1704FPT, please LMK, it's a secret apparently. The FPV is only 90 days! If this one I got is only 90 days, I'm canceling the order.

LJ925, which 1704 did you get that has the 3yr warranty?

Insomniak

Banned
Sep 11, 2003
The problem with the 1704FPV is that it has a very slow response time. 25ms. The FPT is a 12ms panel.

Personally, I have a 1704FPT and love it. It's extremely sharp, and color reproduction is great. Colors really are a non issue being that I'm running Nvidia graphics - digital vibrance and color correction can make almost any monitor look fantastic.

Also, no dead pixels on the panel. I am completely satisfied.

computer

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2000
Thanks.

I found out today it has the 3 yr warranty.

My Dad (whom the monitor is for) uses an ATI AIW 128 Pro, so I don't know if that would mean there would be any color issues with it on that video card. I suppose it would be a non-issue if you use 16 bit color and don't use 24 or 32 bit since I believe 24 bit is 16.7 million colors.

computer

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2000
Yeah, I found that the other day and read it. ;) The viewing angle has me a bit worried. So how were the colors? I didn't see you mention that.

dornick

Jan 30, 2005
I personally dont think the viewing angles are that bad. Sure, there will be some darkening or some brightening if you go too far off center, but the image is still fine.

bcoupland

Jun 26, 2004
I would personally get the samsung 730B, but if you are genuinely concerned about 8-bit I believe the samsung 711T is digital/8-bit. Of course, an 8-bit panel comes with the cost of slower response times.

computer

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2000
It arrived yesterday and the viewing angles are pretty bad. It's so bad that even when I'm sitting directly in front of it, the contrast is different in the corners! I move a bit and it gets fine in a corner, but loses contrast elsewhere! I don't know if that's going to be problem for him yet or not. If he just sits directly in front and looks at it, it may not be. Other than that, it looks fine.