dell 1420 display ..blank at start,i switched off lights--see vertical lines ,good at external monitor.please help.

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
hi ,i have laptop inspiron dell 1420 display lcd but 1400 mobo without graphics nvidea.., my display started as single vertical lines and little flickering horizontal lines but later it increased and one day the display got blanked, with external monitor the display is fine and good.
i switched off the lights and in dark room when i turned my laptop on,i see dim light start ...then after sometime after post i guess i get to see the box on the screen inside which vertical lines are present ,when i switch the room lights on ,i cant see those vertical lines ,its not visible..the display looks blank so i can understand the bulb in lcd display is worn out and anything else about inverter etc..i will be glad to know if i could diy mine,thanks

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007

you check out any of the youtube teardowns for your lappy? sounds like the inverter to me

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
yes i did but i am confused ...could it be inverter or video cord inside the lcd screen. and what about the vertical lines..can it be caused by dead inverter ?..so..should i try out buying the inverter and see whether it helps..thanks for video ,will see it now

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
yes i did but i am confused ...could it be inverter or video cord inside the lcd screen. and what about the vertical lines..can it be caused by dead inverter ?..so..should i try out buying the inverter and see whether it helps..thanks for video ,will see it now

No, a bad inverter won't cause those symptoms. It provides power to the LCD panel. The vertical lines and symptoms you described indicate a failed LCD panel itself. If you can do the labor yourself the panel is not very expensive usually.

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
yes i can do it myself... so can i hope the lcd video cable good to go?
i would like to ask you again about this "i switched off the lights and in dark room when i turned my laptop on,i see dim light start ...then after sometime after post i guess i get to see the box on the screen inside which vertical lines are present ,when i switch the room lights on ,i cant see those vertical lines ,its not visible..the display looks blank " i can see a dim screen (bad lines inside a box) only with lights off at night dark room but at day light or room lights the screen appears to be dark balnk..cant see anything..but at back i can see white light ( removed my lcd screen and powered the laptop) i dont know am i being clear in my explanation..i would like to answer any questions regarding this ,thanks

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
So most likely the backlighting is also bad in the LCD. The vertical lines are definitely a bad panel. The backlighting is built into the LCD panel so replacing it should resolve both issues.