Dell 12" Netbook - Which version of Windows?

Apr 20, 2008
I just bought a netbook off of craigslist for $70. All is working properly, however, the laptop does have windows XP SP3 (genuine) installed.

Here is the Amazon page for specs.

1.6Ghz Atom Z530 (HT enabled)
1GB DDR2 (non-upgradable)
Intel GMA 500
12" 1280x800 LCD
50GB HDD

I have a couple copies of Vista ultimate and one copy of Win 7 pro. With it being a single core atom, would 7 really bog it down? All i am using the computer for is web browsing, word processing and NES/SNES emulation.

Basically, as XP SP3 is fully updated and i have symantec AV, should I upgrade my OS or leave it be?

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'd use Xubuntu. That would work for all your stated purposes. If you insist on running Windows, I think I'd go with Vista. 7 may run a bit faster on that machine, but I think Vista could be tweaked into shape, and you have more of those licenses.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Windows 7 on 1GB of RAM is going to be painful. There's no getting around that.

Turbonium

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
As already stated, that RAM is really limiting you; 1 GB is the bare minimum you'd want to run any version of Windows 7. And I really do mean bare minimum.

I wouldn't install Win 7 Pro on it - waste of a license. Yes, Vista could be tweaked, but it's less efficient than Win 7 in general. Expect no faster performance than XP SP3, even when tweaked.

Why don't you just find Windows 7 Starter somewhere (if that's even possible)? That's all that machine really deserves.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
That machine comes with a card reader. If you don't need to use it for additional space, get a fast cheap 4 or 8GB SD card and use it for Readyboost. AFAIK a low RAM system like yours is where it would be beneficial.

Other than Technet, I'm not sure where else you would get Win7 Starter/Premium -N/Home Basic.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2008
Update:

I upgraded the OS to Windows 7 Pro. The system was fairly unresponsive at times without readyboost. I added a 4GB Class 4 SD card (19MB Read, 7MB Write according to HD Tune) and the system is far more responsive. I'm using all but 25MB of the SD card for Readyboost. It is especially faster with Google chrome as the browser. Firefox performance is SHIT on this machine.

Disabling Aero was a big boost in responsiveness. Classic theme is good enough for me! The onboard GPU is the Powervx 535 (i think the same as my iPhone 3GS!) and it runs aero with minor glitches. Video (MP4, AVI, etc) runs incredibly better on 7 than xp.

TL;DR: Readyboost helped a ton, and the video acceleration works quite well under 7. Even a class 4 SD card makes the system more responsive!

The0ne

Jan 3, 2006
Win8 is even better with memory management. I'm hoping to do the upgrade on the Dell mini when I get a chance and see how it performs.