Delete Windows 7 ATI Drivers?

StockDC2

Dec 22, 2009
Hi, I have a quick question. I just installed Windows 7 and am using the graphic drivers that were installed. However, while playing Counter-Strike Source, I noticed that there is slow down when in intense gun fights. Will I see a performance increase by uninstalling the default drivers and installing the drivers from ATI's webpage? Thanks.

notposting

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2005
Maybe, depends on your card (brand new ones still getting driver tweaks or old and pretty much maxed out already) and other limiting factors. I actually went back to the default drivers after 9.11 broke video playback hard for me (and the htpc and laptop don't get used for gaming for me so easy decision).

StockDC2

Dec 22, 2009
Thanks for the prompt reply. The computer itself is pretty old so I'm not sure if that's why the game is lagging. The graphic card in question is an X1900GT. The rest of the specs are: Pentium D 2.8Ghz, 2GB DDR2 Memory, and 320GB HD.

Since the video card is pretty much ancient, I probably wouldn't notice a performance increase correct?

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
You don't need to uninstall the default Windows in-box drivers before installing the device/hardware vendor's drivers.

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
I'd go ahead and install the latest ATI drivers off the web. I don't know if Windows 7 uses a generic driver or not, but if it did, installing the latest would certainly benefit you.

StockDC2

Dec 22, 2009
Sweet, thanks for all the help guys. I'm just curious though, what's the difference between "Catalyst Software Suite" and "WMD Integrated Driver"? I rather not install the suite because of negative experiences with it in the past. Is WDM Integrated Driver the driver without all the excess software?

StockDC2

Dec 22, 2009
Thanks for the help. I'm on Windows 7 32-Bit and when I went to go look for "Option 2-Individual Downloads", I only see "WDM Integrated Driver". That's weird...

EDIT: Nevermind, just copied and pasted the link and changed 64 to 32 bit and got to the right page. Thanks for your help!

StockDC2

Dec 22, 2009
Windows 7 fucken blows. I've been uninstalling drivers and it keeps on reverting to the old POS driver integrated into the OS. What the FUCK!

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Windows 7 fucken blows. I've been uninstalling drivers and it keeps on reverting to the old POS driver integrated into the OS. What the FUCK!

Why are you uninstalling drivers? Just install the new drivers. Everything takes care of itself.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Uninstalling the Win7 WHQL drivers actually is more of a pain in the ass than you want to deal with. In uninstalling them, the ATI driver installer won't even run.

notposting

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2005
The X1900 is under the legacy driver support now--the Win7 driver should be up to date I think.