Degradation In Customer Service

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I ordered a part for my table saw from Sears Parts Direct in May. July comes around, still hasn't shipped. So I call and get a nice person who says they will expedite it and I will get a shipping confirmation within a couple of days.

It's now the end of August and nothing, so I call again. Very nice person who says pretty much the same thing.

Still nothing. I really don't feel like calling again, but I do need the part. I might just dispute the charge ($56) and buy a new table saw instead. Fuck Sears.

• Wow
Reactions: Pohemi

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
I ordered a part for my table saw from Sears Parts Direct in May. July comes around, still hasn't shipped. So I call and get a nice person who says they will expedite it and I will get a shipping confirmation within a couple of days.

It's now the end of August and nothing, so I call again. Very nice person who says pretty much the same thing.

Still nothing. I really don't feel like calling again, but I do need the part. I might just dispute the charge ($56) and buy a new table saw instead. Fuck Sears.
I hope you didn't wait too long to dispute. The Fair Credit Billing Act gives you 60 days for credit cards.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

Is Sears Parts Direct actually a part of the corpse fka Sears? Or was the brand sold off like all the other valuable bits of Sears?

The crazy thing is that Sears emerged from bankruptcy a couple years back, and has since basically shut down almost all of their stores (from 425 to just 35). Supposedly there are a few around, but they can't be long for this world. Sears rarely hits the news wire anymore, but they recently announced closing their last store in home state Illinois.

Reactions: Pohemi and Captante

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
There's different grades of Indian tech support too, some of them are actually pretty good as far as being able to understand them, while some it's near impossible. I had to deal with a tech support guy that was so hard to understand once I had to just end the call because it was not going anywhere. I figured I would try the French option in hopes I get someone here in Canada. Nope. Got the SAME GUY, trying to speak in French! That did not go any better lmao.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Is Sears Parts Direct actually a part of the corpse fka Sears? Or was the brand sold off like all the other valuable bits of Sears?

The crazy thing is that Sears emerged from bankruptcy a couple years back, and has since basically shut down almost all of their stores (from 425 to just 35). Supposedly there are a few around, but they can't be long for this world. Sears rarely hits the news wire anymore, but they recently announced closing their last store in home state Illinois.

Sears store-locater (apparently includes places that sell Sears stuff?)

Can't vouch for its accuracy... may not have been updated in some time! Per the locater my closest still-open store is in Massapequa, Ny.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I am so veddy happy to be helping you, I am standing veside myself!

:p

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I hope you didn't wait too long to dispute. The Fair Credit Billing Act gives you 60 days for credit cards.

Just submitted my dispute! I put it off for way too long... We'll see what happens.

I'm not sure. I think it's some third-party company that sells Sears OEM stuff. Apparently they have been in business since 1995.

I probably should have listened to all the bad reviews, but they are the only place that has (or had) the part I need.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Just submitted my dispute! I put it off for way too long... We'll see what happens.

I'm not sure. I think it's some third-party company that sells Sears OEM stuff. Apparently they have been in business since 1995.

I probably should have listened to all the bad reviews, but they are the only place that has (or had) the part I need.
I checked and Sears Parts Direct is a part of Transformco, the post-bankruptcy successor of Sears Holdings Corp. I think the remaining 30-odd Sears stores will all be gone within 2 years tops.

Good luck with the CC dispute.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Have you checked Jack's?

They used to have pretty much everything SPD had. There are others too.

Yeah, no luck. This is the part I'm looking for:

I could buy an after-market fence for a few hundred, but I'd rather just upgrade to a SawStop or at least something nicer than what I currently have. Here's my saw:

It's fine - it gets me by with the work I do, but any excuse to upgrade/buy new stuff is a good one... :p

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Had an Amazon package say delivered and never showed up. They never even rang my doorbell, my RING never logged a press. I chatted up customer service, didn't even have to talk to a human, the automated chat bot asked me if I wanted money back or a replacement. I said replacement and it will be sent to me. Alritey.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Nationwide Insurance. Tree fell on house last year. Next morning they had a tree company out that removed the tree and tarped the roof. Adjuster there in a week, check to cover tree removal, repairs and a complete roof and gutters on one side mailed a couple of days later. Hired a roofing contractor that repaired, re-roofed, replaced bad fascia and soffits, and new gutters all the way around. Upon completion, I took pictures of the roof, and sent them to the adjuster (she was working from home 2 hours away) and got a final check for "recovered depreciation" which put me ahead even with extra stuff I had done.

This year when notice that new policy was available to download, I noticed an error, listed in the wrong fire district. Due to fire department ratings, I had been paying too much. Turns out it was a computer error on their side, and refunds (several thousand) issued for 4 years since error occurred.

Probably 8 years ago, minor parking lot accident, my fault. Swapped info with other driver, and then called insurance company when I got home, gave them the info and told them it was my fault. Done... never heard another thing, assuming the other party got their car repaired.

Insurance companies get a bad rap, but my experience has been great. Single phone call got the ball rolling for each of these events, and treated right with zero hassle.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

To be fair, Sears did the same bullshit in the early 90s.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Southwest still has pretty good customer service, especially compared to their peers.

I haven't dealt with actual guest relations, but Six Flags has done some very customer friendly things the last few years.