Define true love...

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
Well... Me and my Ex have been talking about it for a LONG time tonight...
What is it?

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
One of my ex girlfriends defined true love as when you can brush your teeth in the sink next to the toilet while your significant other is taking a dump.

Hanpan

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2000
True love in someting that many people will never experience. It is love not based on infatuation, looks or even passionate/romantic feeling. At a basic level it is wanting the best for the other person at all costs.

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
Maybe if Isla, ToolGirl, or GirlFriday come, I can get some semi-intelligent answers...

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
When you spend more time concerned about the wants and needs of another before your wants and needs.

UG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
<...Maybe if Isla, ToolGirl, or GirlFriday come, I can get some...>

Hmm, looking for more motherly perspective, eh?

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
no... but i feel like everyone else on the board is going to say things like

&quot;Rim Job.&quot;

cwand

Banned
Jun 26, 2000
True love is something many will never experience, but if you do you will know it and there will be no questions. If you have had it and lose it, you will spend the rest of your life searching for it again.

If you are fortunate enough to have had it once, thank your lucky stars.

Raspewtin

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999
true love is something we objectivy to either bring extra value to our co-dependent relationships or to quantify in two words something that is different for every single person.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
If you have to ask then you have never been in it....trust me...you'll know.

GreenBeret

Golden Member
May 16, 2000
Now Beast, why would you think that?

I don't know if there is such a thing as true love. Each relationship's love is a little different. It's never quite the same. But I certainly know what love is. And I can't describe it except maybe as a 'high'.

This could be likened to the relationship between Forms and objects in Plato's divided line. And therefore, if you are religious (which I'm not), you could say that true love only comes from God.

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Actually, hanpan is on to something, but I think many people DO experience it but don't recognise it.

There are times I do not even like the Mr very much but I could never want anything other than happiness for him. Even if he were to try to trade me in for a 'younger model' in a few years, it would be hard for me to hate him. How could I hate him? My kids love him. It would be impossible.

I think part of it is knowing a person very well and loving them anyway. That doesn't mean that they can get away with murder, only that you forgive them for their weaknesses and imperfections.

The Mr and I have been through hell and back together and yet still we feel tenderly towards eachother (most days!).

True Love can weather any storm.

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
its funny how someone can define love for everyone. And why do ppl say not that many ppl wiil experience it? I say most ppl have experienced it, and most ppl have loved someone.

I dont agree that love is doing everything for that person no matter the cost, then you've given up love for urself and how can you know what love is when you dont even know what it means to you? how will you know that someone else will feel the same what you do for them?

I dont think there can be one definition for love as it'll be different from person to person.

Namuna

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2000

<< no... but i feel like everyone else on the board is going to say things like

&quot;Rim Job.&quot;
>>

And what's wrong with Rim jobs?

Besides, that question is COMPLETELY subjective. One person's definition of 'True Love' don't have to be someone else's.

For me; 'True Love' is finding someone that matches 100% of the 'Love' criteria
Physical- Sorry, but if I'm not at least somewhat physically attracted then there can't be 'true love'
Emotional- Things like what hanpan said, you want the best for that person
Phsychological- She'd have to be at even keel with me, in temperament and attitude
There's more to this, but I'm just putting a 'rough' idea here.

You have varying degrees (or percentages) of what the different people are that you've been with. If/When you ever come into contact with someone that hits 100% of your criteria, then you've got 'True Love'

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
It's like the blind men and the elephant.

We can all describe the parts of it that we feel, but it's really too hard to convey. No one is wrong really (not even the Rim Jobs), but it's too big to really see/feel all at once.

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
I guess I am saying that when two people have a &quot;true love&quot; their are certain charecteristics in their relationship... i am sure some of these characteristics match up with each other...

Total Refected Power

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Ah true love. For me its like having a secret that only the two of you share. There is a peaceful joy that exudes from each other from a glance or a gentle caress or doing things that go unnoticed but make that person's life easier. The bond is expressed in many forms but quite often when concern for yourself is less important than concern for your partner. It doesn't mean that you don't get angry or argue but the love prevents you from crossing the line because of your inability to truly hurt that person.

Siva

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2001
True love

Caring about someone above all else. Valuing a relationship and the companionship of another more than everything else in your life. Being able to wake up to the same person everyday for the rest of your life and always love them as much as or more than the previous day. Longing to be with your significant other when you are apart, waiting to have some time alone with her. That's what it is to me. True love is different for everyone though.

Fall into the century on a supersonic cross
Blessed she in aching silence, eternal loss
Calling out i won't surrender a locket of her hair
Sympathize her pious pleasures, go down the stairs
Into the dark again; to feel alive again, and wait for....
Real Love

blues008

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2001
My definition comes from a Billy Bragg and Wilco Song(Words by Woody Guthrie) :)

&quot;I'd love to feel your hand touching mine
And tell me why I must keep working on
Yes, I'd give my life to lay my head tonight
On a bed of California stars

They hang like grapes on vines that shine
And warm the lovers glass lke friendly wine
So, I'd give this world
just to dream a dream with you
On our bed of California stars&quot;

blues
who thinks Mermaid Ave. is an amazing album

Supradude

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2000
when she/he is so much a part of you that to lose her/him would leave you with an unfillable void...