• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Defective CPU? I3-7100 from eBay

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
I bought an i3-7100 from eBay for a new build. I was completely unable to get past the bios. Any OS, live CD, etc would give me a kernel panic or BSOD. both windows and linux would give me a machine check exception
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine-check_exception

Triple verified it was a bad cpu. swapped in an i5-6500, swapped the i3-7100 to another motherboard with same memory and all the issues followed it. and yes, both motherboards bios were updated to support kaby lake

has anyone had this issue before? hopefully guy is willing to take the return.

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
Ebay's Buyer protection covers you. They make him take it back. You can't lose..

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Yup, i had a customer with an Intel i5 7600K that was actually bad. Swapped it with my i3 6100 and it worked perfect. Put his i5 back in and nothing but crashing. He exchanged it for another and it worked just fine.

It's uncommon but does happen.

aigomorla

Cases and Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
this is a non K cpu right?

He probably had a really bad heat sink on it, and most likely degraded the chip...
If it was a K cpu, id say he overclocked it to heck, and most likely degraded the hell out of it, which is why i will try to avoid "K" cpu's second hand.

As long as the Listing did not say sold "AS-IS"
Which always means "Broken and dont expect returns", you are protected by ebay's buyers.

ASK THE COMMUNITY