Question Defective Asus router?

Shamrock

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
I just purchased an Asus Rog Rapture GT-AXE11000 router. I have it up and running just fine, except it hiccups.
About every 20-30 minutes, it will stop responding, for about 5 seconds (at times longer). After that it usually comes back. A couple of times it has happened so long that my streaming TV (TiVo) will boot me out of Hulu, and back to Home. Sometimes it will cause the screen to freeze up.

This happens in games, watching Twitch, watching streaming TV.

Is this normal? Or is my unit defective?

Last edited:

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Ethernet or wifi connected TV? If the latter, how strong is the signal? Was it working fine with a prior router?
Of course it's not normal, return for refund, should not need extra special measures for a ~$330(!!) router.

Reactions: Shamrock

mpo

Jan 8, 2010
A few things to try.

1) as above, update the firmware. ASUS updates pretty regularly,

2) Disable Smart Connect. Instead assign different SSIDs for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless bands (e.g, Asus_24 and Asus_5).

3) Disable AI Mesh.

Smart Connect sometimes trips up on devices that only have 2.4GHz connectivity.

Shamrock

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Firmware is up to date, then afterward, reset to factory defaults.
Wifi TVs, phones, and tablet, and one PC (Only ethernet is my game PC).
Yes everything works with my ISP (Fiber) router. Asus provides very strong signal, even 40 ft away.

I already assigned separate SSIDs (I even reset to factory to do so). Not using AI Mesh.

I think I will return it, thanks.

Last edited:

mpo

Jan 8, 2010
Cleaning out my desk, I came across this from a TP-Link Archer AX90 router I used for a while. Great range; but no way was I going to pay a monthly subscription for features that are included on Asus routers.
1673546652846.png

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
I have the same router and had issues in the beginning. Each firmware update has helped to the point the network is now rock solid. I have 5 mesh nodes attached.