Deepcool Genome II adding 3rd hard drive

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Anybody with this case added a 3rd HD? I had thought of mounting it on the angled panel (top bottom in front), I have a plan and tested it, but its a bit crude. I cant mount one on top of the HD cage without cutting that case up a bit. Just looking to see if anybody else had tried this. Really like this case (if it cools ok) as its a fresh build and the HD is last step, then testing to see how well it works.

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
I don't know that case, but there are two other locations available in most cases. One is the slot intended for a 3½" floppy drive. You can mount a 3½" (standard desktop) HDD there without removing the front cover panel. Or, using an adapter, you can mount one in a slot for a 5½" floppy or optical drive, similarly just not removing the front cover.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
This case has no spot for a Floppy or Optical drive. Its a Case with built in water cooling, bit more on the pretty, but less functional side. I knew when I bought it there where only 2 HD cages, and again i have a way to mount one, i just dont like the option. The case has excellent setup for a clean look, and putting the 3rd HD where i plan ruins a bit of that. But thanks for the suggestion.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I looked at a review by bit-tech on this case.

It says and shows two 2.5" drive mounts on the bottom of the motherboard pan, and indicates there is a cage for 2 3.5" drives underneath the PSU cover.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
I looked at a review by bit-tech on this case.

It says and shows two 2.5" drive mounts on the bottom of the motherboard pan, and indicates there is a cage for 2 3.5" drives underneath the PSU cover.

Yep two Hard drives and two SDD (optical or other would not work as its the back of the Motherboard tray) I ended up going crude and attaching it to the angled panel in the front in a vertical position. it works, its up high so it blocks no fans, other than you can see it behind its not to bad. I am sure I could have cut some stuff up and done it but it works.

I am 100% impressed with how quiet the case is. I did find 1 thing I did not like the Way you Can mount the video card Vertical so its full glory is in the case window. This I did like, but the mounting of any double height card puts its like 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the window, pretty tight for good ariflow. And in my case my card is a even thicker and it hit the window. I had to remove the window and cut so the card stuck out (it was flush once the glass was removed) I put a metal grill over the hole and made a filter and it works excellent, but again is not as pretty as the rest of the case. Overall I am very happy, the price is pretty OK for a water cooler and case, I got mine for $189.. most good water cooler (all in one) are $100 and most ok cases are $70+. Not a good choice for the HARCORE water cooler but I'm running pretty consistent 60-65 on the cpu gaming (OC to 4.7 on a 7700K) with a mild voltage bump which is just fine with me. And the Vid card (GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti)
having fresh open air at all times keeps it almost the same, maybe 5 degree's warmer(on any game that is pretty new (I'm pushing a 4K 55" display). Overall I am happy, but did meet some problems i did not expect.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Just and update, one fan htat came with case has already failed (well is failing) on the radiator, it has 3, one buzzes (sounds like when an old fan bearing is bad) for about 10-15 minutes and quiets down, not impressed, but it can happen with the best of stuff. Still love how quiet it is. Bit worried it looked like all 3 fans where wired as one, easy enough to cut wires i guess. Not 100% on this as i haven't pulled it apart yet.