Deep Sea Angler Fish Washes Ashore on California Beach

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999

With its football-shaped flat, jet-black body, tiny eyes, translucent teeth and — oh yeah — a fleshy phosphorescent bulb dangling in front of its mouth, the Pacific Footballfish is not something you see on the regular. In fact, to see an actual angler fish intact is very rare, so it was a surprise when beachgoer Ben Estes came across this one.

The California Department of Fish & Wildlife is keeping it for research and education after it landed whole, but dead, onto the sunny beach of the Marine Protective Area of Crystal Cove State Park, just north of Laguna Beach and Dana Point last Friday. Dana Point is where the who’s who of celebrities live; no doubt they’ll now think twice about taking a peaceful shoreline walk with their tiny dogs, knowing that nature’s beautiful horrors lurk nearby.

1621007889633.png

1621007963397.png

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Pretty unusual for that to happen, things rrreally deep tend to stay there. Doesn't strike me as something that ends up as bycatch, or that lives where things are caught on line either. Some trip, and doesn't look like anything passing by took an exploratory nibble. Very weird.

Probably a female, bigger ones tend to be. I think that's one of the species where, when a tiny male finds her, he basically gets added to her body as a sperm producing appendage. Ugh.

Last edited:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Whoever designed that thing was having a bad day at work

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
If you look at pictures and videos, they look like big toothed heads with fins that swim around thousands of feet below the surface of the water (the deep sea variety).

a2b4215f04433000f6015e30acef1e0e.jpg

It looks like some get big too:

ANGLER FISH MONKFISH (Lophius piscatorius) norway world record biggest fish ever caught big hu...jpg

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
How much light is there at depth? Are there other sources that aren't angler fish? What I'm getting around to is their lure is a clever adaption, but if it's the only source of light, I'd think prey fish would evolve to stay the fuck away from light sources since nothing good will come from it.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
How much light is there at depth? Are there other sources that aren't angler fish? What I'm getting around to is their lure is a clever adaption, but if it's the only source of light, I'd think prey fish would evolve to stay the fuck away from light sources since nothing good will come from it.
many organisms produce light in the depths of the ocean. Jellyfish, octopus, fishes and very small creatures as well.

Bioluminescence - Wikipedia

Reactions: lxskllr

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
The night is dark and full of terrors. Surprised it didn't get eaten floating up to the surface.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
Someone fished it off the beach after playing Animal Crossing. It's rare and worth 2500 bells.