decommissioning main rig

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
The weather is warming up finally in new England so I'll be clocking back to stock speeds soon. The SETI race ran up my power bill last month. :(

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I tried uninstalling Cat 12.4 completely, and then installing Cat 12.1 completely. However, I got a warning after the install, and it said that the APP SDK runtime FAILED to install.

Probably because I manually installed the Cat 12.4 APP SDK seperately, and it didn't get tagged during the uninstall. Strangely, though, there was no separate uninstall entry in Control Panel for it either.

So it looks like I'm stuck now with a full Win7 re-install/format to fix this. :(

Edit: I think I fixed it. I double-clicked on the OpenCL.msi file on the D: drive, and it gave me the option of a complete uninstall. So I did that. Then I re-installed Cat 12.1 over itself, and left the "APP SDK runtime" checked off. Install succeeded this time.

Last edited:

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
I tried uninstalling Cat 12.4 completely, and then installing Cat 12.1 completely. However, I got a warning after the install, and it said that the APP SDK runtime FAILED to install.

Probably because I manually installed the Cat 12.4 APP SDK seperately, and it didn't get tagged during the uninstall. Strangely, though, there was no separate uninstall entry in Control Panel for it either.

So it looks like I'm stuck now with a full Win7 re-install/format to fix this. :(
what a PITA. what are people using for driver cleaners these days? i'd look for a driver cleaner that goes through and removes any driver-related files and registry entries that the installer missed. just be careful what you remove, b/c you don't want to fudge your registry. i have limited experience using Driver Cleaner Pro. the good news is that it worked flawlessly for me in WinXP. the bad news is that it didn't work so well when i tried it with Win7...IIRC, i ended up having to boot into Windows in Safe Mode and do a system restore. at the very least try that (and if you get ballsy, try a driver sweep) before you reformat and reinstall Windows.

what a shame...i was eager to see if you could some Einstein@Home BRP4 ATI tasks running on your APU, as it would be the first example of it i've seen so far. i haven't even come across someone in that thread on the E@H message boards that is using an APU...only folks w/ discrete GPUs so far to my knowledge. but it looks like now you have bigger problems. i hope you don't end up having to resort to a reformat/OS reinstall.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I got a pair of PrimeGrid WUs to run on my ATI/AMD APU. Unfortunately, they both quickly errored out with "Computation Error". Seems to be a theme with APUs and PrimeGrid, unfortunately.

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
since, despite the quirky driver install situation, you're still easily able to get into Windows, you should restore the OS to a date previous to installing the 12.1 drivers (or the 12.4's...whichever ones you need completely uninstalled). the reinstall the 12.4's w/ the APP SDK checked.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'll try that, and then try some more PrimeGrid WUs, I guess.

Edit: Well, that seemed to work. Uninstalling 12.1 and re-installing 12.4, INCLUDING the "APP SDK", has allowed me to run PrimeGrid ATI WUs. One has been running for 4 minutes now and hasn't crashed.

Still no luck with coaxing Einstein@Home to give me a WU though.

Edit: I'm a little concerned with temps on my little Zacate board now. CoreTemp 1.0 shows my temps have hit 71C, and it has a TJMax of 75C.

The CPU has a 40mm fan on it, and the miniITX case is a Rosewill, with an 80mm exhaust fan.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Welp, probably de-commissioning my main rig tonight. Though, I really suppose I should have obtained some Kill-A-Watt meters from a friend to check my power consumption before doing so. I guess I'm really just guessing that it draws too much power.

It's an X6 1045T @ 3.51, 1.325v, ASRock 990FX Extreme4, and two GTX460 1GB OC 715Mhz cards, and a 240GB SSD.
This is a kind of random necro, but this thread from 2012 about me "decommissioning" this Phenom X6 rig in an 990FX Extreme4, well, it's 2022, coming off of not just one but two mining boom/bust cycles, and this work-horse of a PC has served as a "mining frame" / GPU "host" more-or-less-reliably for three GPUs, as per the x16 slots on that mobo. Mining doesn't need high-end PCI-E, so 2.0 or even 1.0 would be fine. I never got rid of it, and I'm glad that I didn't. Still kicking!

Running Win10, not overclocked on the CPU any more.