Decoding Capacitor Marking

meeshu

Jun 9, 2003
This one is for the real experts in electronic components.

Come across a small blue ceramic capacitor with marking (top to bottom) BN, 101K, 1kVL.

BN is the temperature coefficient.
101K is the capacitance (100 pF) and at a tolerance of ± 10%.
1kVL is the voltage rating at 1000 volts. But what is the "L" at the end of 1kV for?

It has been suggested by others that this might be the voltage tolerance. But I have doubts about that as (any) voltage tolerance is not (usually) a parameter of consideration (and marking) for any capacitor(?)

I suspect the "L" might be a code for the series of capacitor?

Anyone know for certain, please?

Ceramic_capacitor_cropped.png

meeshu

Jun 9, 2003
Thanks, but the capacitor in question is a ceramic type, not a polyester etc.

I still suspect the "L" after the voltage is a manufacturer series code. Series codes are often used on other capacitors such as solid, hybrid, and surface mount electrolytic capacitors, so it is reasonable to suggest that the L may be a series code also(?)

But is it so?

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
It is irrelevant. If you are replacing it you choose one with specs applicable to the circuit. If you are trying to use it, what sense does that make when it is only worth a few cents, less than the value of our time on this and the other forum(s) you've posted this topic on? This is why you buy parts with clear datasheets if any differences matter.

It's not reasonable to suggest or assume anything other than that you don't need to know, until the world runs out of capacitors and that is the last one. :eek: