Deciding on a new monitor...

maevinj

Nov 20, 2004
I'm upgrading from a Dell 24" and a BenQ RL2455HM. I'm looking at getting at 32" display as I'm tired of my desk being covered with monitors. I have a GTX 1060, so I'm wondering if I should look for a monitor with a higher refresh rate? I don't game as much as I use to but I still play some Fallout 4/City Skylines. My budget is under $600. I'm currently looking at:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y1GZHYJ/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I160K8PT3KDD16&colid=IGLMVTLQOBWG

or
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2FZTZH/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IQTJNORNPNZJD&colid=IGLMVTLQOBWG

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
I'd highly recommend Ultrawide, it's a much better experience for gaming and has excellent support in games nowdays for that aspect ratio.

A 100Hz monitor will be great but keep in mind to achieve a solid 100Hz in games on your 1060 you'll be sacrificing details.

Reactions: maevinj

maevinj

Nov 20, 2004
I'd highly recommend Ultrawide, it's a much better experience for gaming and has excellent support in games nowdays for that aspect ratio.

A 100Hz monitor will be great but keep in mind to achieve a solid 100Hz in games on your 1060 you'll be sacrificing details.
Thanks. So follow up questions: 60hz will be good then? for the Ultrawide is it more the aspect ratio or the resolution? Should I be looking at 1440 over 1080?

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
Thanks. So follow up questions: 60hz will be good then? for the Ultrawide is it more the aspect ratio or the resolution? Should I be looking at 1440 over 1080?
It's all about the aspect ratio on the ultrawide, it's huge and enveloping. I have a 34" and wouldn't go below 32" for an ultrawide imo. I'm also running 2560x1080 and very satisfied with it as it's less pixels to drive for gaming but many aren't satisfied with the dpi at that site and resolution so prefer the full 1440p for 34" monitors.

That ultrawide you linked doesn't specify the panel type, which is a red flag imo. You want an IPS panel and it might not be. It's also Freesync which is great, but you have an Nvidia card so it's useless to you unfortunately. However, since monitors aren't something we upgrade option, having Freesync will be a boon for you if you decide to upgrade at some point to an AMD GPU.

maevinj

Nov 20, 2004
It's all about the aspect ratio on the ultrawide, it's huge and enveloping. I have a 34" and wouldn't go below 32" for an ultrawide imo. I'm also running 2560x1080 and very satisfied with it as it's less pixels to drive for gaming but many aren't satisfied with the dpi at that site and resolution so prefer the full 1440p for 34" monitors.

That ultrawide you linked doesn't specify the panel type, which is a red flag imo. You want an IPS panel and it might not be. It's also Freesync which is great, but you have an Nvidia card so it's useless to you unfortunately. However, since monitors aren't something we upgrade option, having Freesync will be a boon for you if you decide to upgrade at some point to an AMD GPU.

Thanks. I'm either going IPS or VA. Preferably VA if I can afford it.

Reactions: Malogeek