December Jobs Report

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
No doubt Trump's employment numbers are just as fake as we were told they were under Obama. Oh and Labor Participation rate!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
No doubt Trump's employment numbers are just as fake as we were told they were under Obama. Oh and Labor Participation rate!

It is kind of amusing that the BLS truther movement among conservatives abruptly stopped when Trump won. Oddly enough no corresponding movement has shown up with liberals.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Sure. Except the labor participation rate isn't 63.9%. It's 62.9%. In September it was 62.7%. With Obama it went from 62.7-62.9 repeatedly as well.

It hasn't moved.
It's sad how Trump hasn't done anything about the 92 million unemployed Americans like he promised he would.
I wonder if that's because Trump already knew when he said that lie in 2016 that the overwhelming majority of that 92 million is voluntarily unemployed, as in retired, students, or stay at home parents.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
It is kind of amusing that the BLS truther movement among conservatives abruptly stopped when Trump won. Oddly enough no corresponding movement has shown up with liberals.
What's amusing is that they think the rest of us wouldn't notice. I assume that's because they so full of shit that they don't notice it themselves.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
What's amusing is that they think the rest of us wouldn't notice. I assume that's because they so full of shit that they don't notice it themselves.

I’m similarly curious as to whether they are so dumb and easily duped that they go back and forth without noticing or if they are so dishonest that they think they can pull one over on us. It’s the same tiresome game we play every day with Trump: ‘that dumb or that big a liar?’

What will be really great is that under the next Democratic president BLS trutherism will return. Even better is that I bet they cite the experience of Trump as to how presidents can unduly influence executive agencies.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I wonder if it could have anything to do with emotional neediness vs a desire for dispassionate analysis that causes a difference to appear between conservative rationalization and liberal franbkness. Scientific peer reviewed studies demonstrate a tendency for the right to emotionally rationalize reality if it causes emotional discomfort to their ego identifications. This, of course, does not reveal itself to be black and white differences but real enough to be statistically evident. We know also, or the neuroscientists do, that liberals become more conservative when they are drunk or frightened by real or imagined threat, etc. I wonder also, if the exaggerated focus of conservative males in regard to their masculine image arises our of the fact that emotionally, if well hidden, they tend to act like snow-flake, what's that derogation word they like so much, ah, yes, snowflake "pansies".

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
This is one of the most dangerous ideas a person can confront which is why it doesn't often happen. Dangerous, here, of course, meaning the ego or one's fantastical notion of self.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I wonder if it could have anything to do with emotional neediness vs a desire for dispassionate analysis that causes a difference to appear between conservative rationalization and liberal franbkness. Scientific peer reviewed studies demonstrate a tendency for the right to emotionally rationalize reality if it causes emotional discomfort to their ego identifications. This, of course, does not reveal itself to be black and white differences but real enough to be statistically evident. We know also, or the neuroscientists do, that liberals become more conservative when they are drunk or frightened by real or imagined threat, etc. I wonder also, if the exaggerated focus of conservative males in regard to their masculine image arises our of the fact that emotionally, if well hidden, they tend to act like snow-flake, what's that derogation word they like so much, ah, yes, snowflake "pansies".

Those effects are too far removed from my knowledge for me to have any idea. I do notice that conservatives are considerably more tribal than liberals are and it seems to cause the creation of a shared conservative reality. That's why I believe we have such a robust conservative media bubble in the US without a corresponding liberal one.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Those effects are too far removed from my knowledge for me to have any idea. I do notice that conservatives are considerably more tribal than liberals are and it seems to cause the creation of a shared conservative reality. That's why I believe we have such a robust conservative media bubble in the US without a corresponding liberal one.
One and the same thing, as far as I can see. It is the greater emotional need that creates the robustness of the bubble. The greater emotional need, the need to suppress a more easily aroused tendency to experience fear, is logically connected to the observation that conservatives have enlarged right amygdalas, the part of the brain fear generates in vs the relative larger cingulate in liberal brains, that part of the brain instrumental in blocking fear from interfering with reason.

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Nov 29, 2006
One and the same thing, as far as I can see. It is the greater emotional need that creates the robustness of the bubble. The greater emotional need, the need to suppress a more easily aroused tendency to experience fear, is logically connected to the observation that conservatives have enlarged right amygdalas, the part of the brain fear generates in vs the relative larger cingulate in liberal brains, that part of the brain instrumental in blocking fear from interfering with reason.

Something similar to this? https://www.rawstory.com/2018/03/scientists-established-link-brain-damage-religious-fundamentalism/

Saw that headline the other day on FB even though article is from March 18.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

Wait for it to return the moment we are in recession. Trump will deny we are in a recession.

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
https://www.forbes.com/sites/milton...-report-all-upbeat-in-every-way/#69f903013282

"December jobs report is the best I've seen in my career."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/04/economy/december-jobs-report/index.html

Looks like great news all around. Jobs added, way past expectations. Wages up again. Workforce participation in the Trump economy continues to tick up, something we've needed for a long time coming. All in all, good news for America again. Hoping the momentum can keep going.

We need to import more Mexicans to keep up with demand.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
You realize these numbers fluctuate up and down all the time, right? Are you going to make a thread for every up tick? If so ill just block you now.

Im also assuming you made tons of these threads while Obama was president as well since you love a good up tick?

No, I haven't and don't plan to make a thread for every up or down showing. I think I've made two total, so let's not be overly melodramatic. I think this report was exceptionally good, so worth bringing up.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Wait for it to return the moment we are in recession. Trump will deny we are in a recession.

Good point, he will probably simultaneously argue that 1) Democrats taking the House caused the recession and 2) we aren't in a recession and it's all lies by the media/deep state BLS.

EDIT: The idea of Trump being in charge during a serious recession is really scary. He has faced exactly one real emergency since he became president, Hurricane Maria, and he so royally fucked that up that thousands of Americans died. Imagine if he faced a widespread crisis that affected the whole country.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
OMG are these figures seasonally adjusted?

If the estimate is 180,000 jobs and it comes in over 300,000 most would call that great news. The stock market and economists everywhere reacted to it as such. AT P&N disagrees, of course.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
If the estimate is 180,000 jobs and it comes in over 300,000 most would call that great news. The stock market and economists everywhere reacted to it as such. AT P&N disagrees, of course.

No, I specifically said the number of jobs was good news. I simply pointed out your declaration that work force participation is 'ticking up' was wrong as the overall change since Trump came into office is statistically indistinguishable from 0 and is the same rate as in 2014. This isn't even the first time you made such a claim. Last time you were talking about how great it was that labor force participation under Trump was 'ticking up' when it increased to... the exact same level it was when he was inaugurated.

Your main problem is that you reason emotionally instead of factually. When labor force participation hovers around the same level it's been at for years people who are looking at this factually just note that and move on. When real wages increase 0.3% in a month that's good, but when it's making up for the fact that real wages under Trump have been declining recently that's not really that great.

If we were to see continued labor force participation and real wage growth (note: real wages, not nominal wages) I would be perfectly happy to note how good it is. That's because I'm willing to put reality first, unlike you.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Oh spidey, I'm so sorry you're bored. If you want to talk about something more exciting I don't think you ever got back to me about your feelings on the fact that Trump has been implicated in multiple felonies by sworn testimony. That's pretty interesting stuff. Have you had any time to develop thoughts on that yet?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Nice to see the economy reacting to Democrats taking over the House.

I think it has more to do with the Trump economy. His tax cuts helped, cutting red tape helped small businesses, consumer confidence is up due to his actions.

I mean look at this, Trump sold ice to Eskimos... err, is selling rice to the Chinese for the first time ever. Trump's actions are directly leading to a stronger economy.

More great news for AT P&N to frown upon:

https://www.agweb.com/article/breaking-news-china-buying-rice-for-the-first-time-from-us/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ce-imports-ahead-of-trade-talks-idUSKCN1OR0LB

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/economy/china-allows-first-ever-us-rice-imports

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I think it has more to do with the Trump economy. His tax cuts helped, cutting red tape helped small businesses, consumer confidence is up due to his actions.

I mean look at this, Trump sold ice to Eskimos... err, is selling rice to the Chinese for the first time ever. Trump's actions are directly leading to a stronger economy.

More great news for AT P&N to frown upon:

https://www.agweb.com/article/breaking-news-china-buying-rice-for-the-first-time-from-us/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ce-imports-ahead-of-trade-talks-idUSKCN1OR0LB

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/economy/china-allows-first-ever-us-rice-imports
Nobody cares what you think at this point. I mean seriously, can you explain how China allowing rice imports has anything to do with Trump?

Reactions: nickqt and ivwshane

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Nobody cares what you think at this point. I mean seriously, can you explain how China allowing rice imports has anything to do with Trump?

This is a direct result of the pressure Trump is putting on them. Same with soybeans. You're in denial due to TDS.